Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,551,648 times

Advertisements

I'm in the delightful middle period between pooping yellow and being worm food and I would much rather be driving around seniors than most people age 25 on down. Seniors may be a tad slow in the reaction times, but at least they don't have their heads pointing down while they drive frantically texting their BFF about who's screwing whom in their little circle. The habits of youth "age" their driving capabilities dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 AM

15,440 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Hmm. I'm deaf and I drive pretty good. I'm also a wheelchair user who drives with hand controls. I'm doing just fine. As for maximum age, I know a 92 year old who is a very good driver and I know one who had to give up driving at 74. These blanket statements being made are worthless for solving this problem. BTW, is the OP on of those %$@^& who, when you're backing out, just races through hoping to make it without having to stop for a second? Even younger drivers have trouble with seeing them coming.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,189,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
And, while we're at it, maybe the standards should be raised so that basically anyone with a pulse can get a license, but these are separate issues.
Just re-read this, and of course the time has expired to revise my post (dumb CD feature). What I meant to say was '......maybe the standards should be raised so that it requires more than just a pulse to get a license'

And to all the comments of 'yeah, well this group sucks more', here's the rub. There's a difference between having the skills and abilities and not using them vs having lost them entirely. While I have no compassion for any incompetent driver, you can at least have a bit more faith that when that 'damn 20-something year old' looks up from his/her iPhone, they just may still have the reaction times and motor skills needed to react to a situation. But, as the driver gets older, this is less and less the case.

Mike

Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,557,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Please, if you can't see me coming towards you from 5 feet away and you can't hear me honking at you as you nearly broadside me, get off the road.
Please, if you're not aware I'm anywhere near you because you're texting or talking or listening to the radio or working on your computer or changing clothes while driving, get off the road.

Quote:
If you don't feel comfortable driving faster than 25 mph with your foot sitting on the break, you're too old to drive, get off the road.
If you don't feel comfortable driving through a parking lot at less than Indianapolis speeds, get off the road.

Quote:
If you can't see further ahead than the car in front of you, please get off the road.
If you're not SEEING farther than the car in front of you, get off the road.

Quote:
If you can't negotiate a turn or a curve without coming to a complete stop, get off the road.
If you can't negotiate a turn or curve without squealing your tires, get off the road.

Quote:
If you can't see above the steering wheel, please get off the road.
If you can't see past the steering wheel because your head is up your azz, get off the road.

Quote:
If you can't pull into a standard size parking space without reversing 5 times, get off the road please.
If you can't pull into a standard size parking space and be straight, get off the road.

Quote:
If when you get out of the car, you can barely stand up, let alone walk, get off the road.
If when you get out of the car, you take off at a brisk pace or even running, you don't need a car anyhow. Get off the road.

Quote:
If you don't know what day/month/year it is, get off the road please.
If you don't know how to be patient and tolerant of other drivers, get off the road. Remember...."Drive Friendly!"

Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,892,884 times
^^^The winner, Post Of The Day award

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,111,194 times
How do you differentiate an "old" person from a "fart"? Are they mutually inclusive? At exactly what age does a person become a fart?

One of the first and most important thing I learned about driving, was that everybody else is not exactly like me. People all have their own reasons for being the road, and their own ways of going about the business of deriving. They all have different sets of skill levels. It is my responsibility to fit in with them, not their responsibility to fit in with me. I, as the driver, have the responsibility to be watchful for what every other driver might do, including both the intolerant smart-aleck road-hog a$$holes and the old farts.

"When I honked my horn to alert him that I was coming he didn't even flinch."

The other thing I learned when I was 16 was that when something happens, your brake will serve you a lot better than your horn. I think there is a button in the middle of my steering wheel that means "Get the hell out of my way, you jerks, here I come---I've got the right of way, and I'm bloody well going to take what is mine", but I never use that button, myself.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-08-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,018,953 times
Driver licensing standards could be raised to the point that accidents become a rarity. But we live in a society than relies on the automobile, and having a license to drive one.

There's various categories of drivers that could be considered unsafe. Drivers who have grown too old to drive are just one of them.

I'm only 58 and a conservative driver. I drive about 5 mph above the speed limit, often less. Use my turn signals properly etc. But from my knowledge of this forum, some here would consider me old and unsafe. You know, the guys who lust over old "muscle" cars, and talk about "smokin" or "leaving in the dust" such in such car at a traffic light. To them, the "elderly" and "unsafe" has a broad definition. When in truth, they're much more of a safety hazard themselves.

I would venture to say, that any consensus against elderly drivers on a forum predominated by gearheads and hot rodders, will be extremely biased.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,557,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Driver licensing standards could be raised to the point that accidents become a rarity. But we live in a society than relies on the automobile, and having a license to drive one.

There's various categories of drivers that could be considered unsafe. Drivers who have grown too old to drive are just one of them.

I'm only 58 and a conservative driver. I drive about 5 mph above the speed limit, often less. Use my turn signals properly etc. But from my knowledge of this forum, some here would consider me old and unsafe. You know, the guys who lust over old "muscle" cars, and talk about "smokin" or "leaving in the dust" such in such car at a traffic light. To them, the "elderly" and "unsafe" has a broad definition. When in truth, they're much more of a safety hazard themselves.

I would venture to say, that any consensus against elderly drivers on a forum predominated by gearheads and hot rodders, will be extremely biased.

A drivers license has nothing to do with safe driving. It's just a form of taxation.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

143 posts, read 742,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The DMV usually has a program for checking elderly drivers for skills. I will be calling in my father in the not too soon future.
when you pass 70 over here, you have to have a medical check every year.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,258,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How do you differentiate an "old" person from a "fart"? Are they mutually inclusive? At exactly what age does a person become a fart?

One of the first and most important thing I learned about driving, was that everybody else is not exactly like me. People all have their own reasons for being the road, and their own ways of going about the business of deriving. They all have different sets of skill levels. It is my responsibility to fit in with them, not their responsibility to fit in with me. I, as the driver, have the responsibility to be watchful for what every other driver might do, including both the intolerant smart-aleck road-hog a$$holes and the old farts.

"When I honked my horn to alert him that I was coming he didn't even flinch."

The other thing I learned when I was 16 was that when something happens, your brake will serve you a lot better than your horn. I think there is a button in the middle of my steering wheel that means "Get the hell out of my way, you jerks, here I come---I've got the right of way, and I'm bloody well going to take what is mine", but I never use that button, myself.
Old is a pohysical condition. "Fart" is an attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
A drivers license has nothing to do with safe driving. It's just a form of taxation.
Elsewhere in the world driver's ed teaches one how to drive. Here, it teaches one how to pass a test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive