Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,632,816 times

Advertisements

In need of a timing belt on the car, dealer and private mechanic are quoting same price for the job,,Dealer i assume will use all factory parts and have the proper equipment to take care of the job especially if something goes wrong,
Private mechanic has treated me well over the years but he will probably use jobber parts and use some compromising work if things dont go right.
So do i go to the so far trusted mechanic or the supposed highly professional dealer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 AM

33,386 posts, read 35,045,535 times
you can find good mechanics everywhere, not just the dealer. if you already have a good mechanic, have them do the job. no need in spending extra money to cover dealer overhead. as for parts, what you find at the dealer, and what your mechanic installs are going to be about the same quality.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,039 posts, read 82,269,993 times
When you find a good honest mechanic, stick to him and recommend him to your friends to make sure he stays in business. While they may be the same price on this job, the independent will almost always be less.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:59 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,472,283 times
Personally, I do not understand why timing belts wear out, they could surely be made of some space-age material that would outlast the engine. Even if they cost $100 more to manufacture, it would be cheaper than replacing one. My Sentra has no belt, it is an old-fashioned tempered steel timing chain, which, presumably, will never "wear out". What's the deal on belts in the first place? Why have we been taught to unquestioningly accept that a car must have a timing belt, and that it is has to be a POS that needs to be replaced when the car is still essentially a "new car", and we line up single file in lock step to pay hundreds of dollars in labor to have a mechanic go to a pre-designed inaccessible place to do it?

I have heard that after-market timing belts are of better quality than original equipment, and belts rarely need to be replaced a second time. Like ink cartridges in a cheap printer or batteries in a cheap cordless phone. Does anybody have any information about this?

Note that the OP said the dealer and the indie both quoted the same price. In that case, I would think the job from the dealer would have a better warranty.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-30-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 AM

34,277 posts, read 83,643,817 times
Even an OEM timing belt shouldn't cost that much. (I like seeing "Gates" on them personally)
The job itself is a plain vanilla task that any BUSY shop should be fine for.

Anyone who tries to tell you "might as well do the water pump too" ...
is really telling you to find another mechanic.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 AM

3,069 posts, read 9,177,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Personally, I do not understand why timing belts wear out, they could surely be made of some space-age material that would outlast the engine. Even if they cost $100 more to manufacture, it would be cheaper than replacing one. My Sentra has no belt, it is an old-fashioned tempered steel timing chain, which, presumably, will never "wear out". What's the deal on belts in the first place? Why have we been taught to unquestioningly accept that a car must have a timing belt, and that it is has to be a POS that needs to be replaced when the car is still essentially a "new car", and we line up single file in lock step to pay hundreds of dollars in labor to have a mechanic go to a pre-designed inaccessible place to do it?

I have heard that after-market timing belts are of better quality than original equipment, and belts rarely need to be replaced a second time. Like ink cartridges in a cheap printer or batteries in a cheap cordless phone. Does anybody have any information about this?

Note that the OP said the dealer and the indie both quoted the same price. In that case, I would think the job from the dealer would have a better warranty.
You bring up a good question. Few people do not know to check to see if the car they are buying has the "interference" engine as they are called. In the design of these engines you need to know that the water pump is enternal and driven by the same belt. Water pumps seldom last the life of a car and its better to replace a belt when replacing a water pump that is driving it and less possible internal damage from a broken water pump coming apart and jamming up the metal chain and sprockets. You should always replace the water pump when replacing the belt to avoid paying the same labor price again when the pump does go out.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM

34,277 posts, read 83,643,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Water pumps seldom last the life of a car...
...but there is no reason to believe that they shouldn't last at least the life of two or three timing belts.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,472,283 times
Interesting article here about a timing belt developed bv Goodyear, for a NasCar team:

Goodyear Develops New NASCAR Cam Drive Belt. - Free Online Library

Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,766,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In need of a timing belt on the car, dealer and private mechanic are quoting same price for the job,,Dealer i assume will use all factory parts and have the proper equipment to take care of the job especially if something goes wrong,
Private mechanic has treated me well over the years but he will probably use jobber parts and use some compromising work if things dont go right.
So do i go to the so far trusted mechanic or the supposed highly professional dealer?
Don't say you trust the private mechanic when you question his judgement on parts source .

Even some car dealers use non factory parts to get a job done from time to time. Besides, few car makers make all their own parts anymore. It's all outsourced parts.

As to quality of workmanship.....
Dealers will stab you in a heartbeat. The private mechanic can't stay in business stabbing people for very long.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,954,136 times
Quote:
Like ink cartridges in a cheap printer or batteries in a cheap cordless phone.
In the case of these items, you can buy a printer for less than the cost of the replacement ink and the same thing for the cordless phone at the retail level. But if you go to ebay you csn by these replacement parts for a quarter of their store prices.

Quote:
Personally, I do not understand why timing belts wear out,
Well not all people drive the same way, so they get stressed in different fashions. So usually the touring & sporting get slightly different engines. So depending on your driving habits and how long you keep your cars you will at least replace it once around 100,000 miles.

Also looking from a material point of view close to nothing on this planet has lifetime expetency to work. All materials will fail when you reach or pass its stress level. So in the case case of rubber belts over time it loses its bonding and seperates (heat and friction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive