Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,549,365 times

Advertisements

Credit Union is between 3-5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

4,272 posts, read 8,193,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
Thanks merc and ion. I didn't realize it was that simple. Just curious....say you get approved but for some weird reason can't find anything or just change your mind? Basically what I am asking is you only get the loan when you provide the credit union the purchase order?

I was always under the impression that when you go car shopping the dealership contacts the bank or whatnot and sets up all the loan details for you. I could be and probably am wrong though hehe
Yeah.. Just go in and get preapproved. Say you are looking for a Car for around X amount. See what they will preapprove you for.

Then, once you go shopping, you already know you have financing, so you are in a better position to haggle or to get the car you really want.

They will create a purchase order, and will usually send it over to your credit union. Once they receive it, they will ok it and cut a check. Then the dealer sends the title to the bank.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:46 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,072,203 times
Quote:
Yeah.. Just go in and get preapproved. Say you are looking for a Car for around X amount. See what they will preapprove you for.

Then, once you go shopping, you already know you have financing, so you are in a better position to haggle or to get the car you really want.

They will create a purchase order, and will usually send it over to your credit union. Once they receive it, they will ok it and cut a check. Then the dealer sends the title to the bank.
We bought a used pickup truck like this last month. The credit union approved our $25,000 loan at 3% interest. We then found a used pickup we liked for $20,500. Because it was used, the credit union had to bluebook the truck to determine how much they would finance based on the actual vehicle we wanted to purchase. They came in at $149 lower than the asking price, so we wrote a personal check for that amount and away we went.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM

145 posts, read 421,075 times
All the replies I have received on this have been very helpful I have a credit score between 700 - 750 last time I checked and have been with my credit union since 2004, I'm wondering how much I could possibly be approved for? This def seems like the best choice and the route I will take if I decide to get a vehicle.

I would be looking to spend 300 - 350 a month for a payment , I'm just not sure what price range of a car that could get me....

Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,451,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
I would be looking to spend 300 - 350 a month for a payment , I'm just not sure what price range of a car that could get me....

That's a pretty broad swing. On a standard 60-month note, somewhere between $18K and $21K.

Low Interest Auto Financing Calculator

You can punch in numbers there to see for yourself what happens if you adjust rate and term.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,791,096 times
72 months @ 4.75%, private party sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive