Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,604 times

Advertisements

Please, someone tell me what I should do about my used Toyota Corrolla Sport 2004, 70, 000 miles, automatic transmission. I recently changed the oil and transmission at 68,000 miles. My Sport's transmission lags at around 50 mph before it changed to the next gear. Today I looked at the transmission fluid and it is light-brown. What does this mean? What changes must I anticipate to do on my Sport? How much will the changes you recommend cost me? Is this problem common for my type of car?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM

859 posts, read 2,841,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic92f View Post
Please, someone tell me what I should do about my used Toyota Corrolla Sport 2004, 70, 000 miles, automatic transmission. I recently changed the oil and transmission at 68,000 miles. My Sport's transmission lags at around 50 mph before it changed to the next gear. Today I looked at the transmission fluid and it is light-brown. What does this mean? What changes must I anticipate to do on my Sport? How much will the changes you recommend cost me? Is this problem common for my type of car?
Thank you

The trans in the corolla has always been a bit slow to shift but unless you have really beat on the car I can't see you doing any damage in 70K miles.

Trans fluid should be a dark red color. If it's brown or smells burnt then something could be wrong. I suggest you take the car to a qualified mechanic and have it checked out... Transmissions are the one area where the dealer is often your best bet.

A typical trans flush costs about $100 at most places. A simple drain and fill is around $50. The Flush is worth it.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,971,971 times
Every 30K miles replace fluid and filter!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 PM

929 posts, read 2,740,569 times
Another vote to change the fluid every 30K in that transmission if you plan on keeping it over 100K. Look for companies who warranty the transmission if you keep it serviced like Bg Products.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 832 times
how many miles can I go between tune ups in a 99 dodge3.0

Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 AM

15,903 posts, read 20,913,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Most of the time your engines computer will alert you to the need of a "tune up" Its called the check engine light.
No. Regular periodic maintainence should be done with accordance to the owners manual and recommended intervals.

Relying on the check engine light ot alert you to a problem is a "fix it when it breaks" mentality and can result in being left stranded, or premature failure of a component.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,496,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Sorry I'm a mechanic, Been one for 15 years. I see what happens to motors when people wait 6000-7000-7500 miles like the manual suggests. You have to remember that most warranties are only 36 - 50K so the manufactures don't care what happens after that. They acually want you to have problems so they service departments are busy or they can sell you another car.

Everyone - Please continue to wait 6000-7500 miles to replace your oil. It's great job security for me and my eight employees. You guys have paid for my house, the shop, all my toys and the vacations of my family and my employees so I'd like to thank you.

There's a Neon in the shop right now with 57000 miles on it. Bearings on all for rods are bad. 1 and 3 spun and destroyed themselves. The main bearing are also shot and #2 could be moved by hand with the motor assembled. The cylinder walls look like someone was in there with a course file but should clean up. The crank is most likely junk and will need to be replaced. BUT the Owner changed the oil every 7500 miles like the manual says. Problem is he only drove the car 20 miles a day in bumper to bumper traffic so that's and oil change about once a year. We sent to the motor off to the machine shop yesterday to have them look at it. Odds are we'll just be buying a reman long block. I should have taken some pics. Sludge built up in the pan and around the valve springs looked like someone poured oil soaked dirt into the motor.

For those that want there cars to last. 3000 miles if you use regular oil. 5000 if you run synthetic. If not I'll be seeing you soon.
If following the maintenance schedule harmed the engine, you would see lawsuits and automakers folding. 15+ years ago, oil and engine technology was not even close to what it is now. Do a oil analysis on a new car after 5k and it will look better then what one looked like on an older car right after a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick66 View Post
how many miles can I go between tune ups in a 99 dodge3.0
There are different things that have to be done at different intervals such as every 3k miles, 12k miles, etc. The best thing to do is to follow what the manual calls for. Most manufactures have multiple schedules depending on normal or hash driving. If you dont have a manual, there is a good website forum for dodge's called dodgetalk. the guys and girls there will be able to help find the correct maintenance schedule for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive