Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 PM

635 posts, read 1,168,326 times

Advertisements

Pushrod V8s a close second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM

17,227 posts, read 57,161,817 times
You wanna elaborate on that?

FWD does require some counter-intuitive moves when driving in the slick, and going down a steep slick hill with FWD is inherently difficult.

Pushrod V-8s I got no problem with. Depending on what car they are in and how it's geared, they can be thirsty, but they tend to be cheap and cheerful to work on, low maintenance, and fun to drive.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,318,076 times
Front wheel drive is worse in the snow and is bad but push rod gas v8s are the best engine design ever made. Like Bret The Hitman Hart, the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,187,921 times
LOL. Fun thread. I like FWD well enough, but if you're going to ask what configuration I'd ideally drive, FR all the way baby!

As to pushrods being bad, blasphemy! Old tech? Yeah, but it's a smaller engine, less moving parts, and proven. As much as I really like the new lineup of Ford engines, gimme an LS block anyday. Plenty of room under the hood to mess around.

Mike

Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,501,609 times
I've driven both RWD and FWD cars on bad winter roads in the Rockies--over a driving career spanning four decades. I'll take FWD in a heartbeat--every time. Yes, the driving technique is different, but having the steering wheels driven--with weight on them--will beat most RWD cars every time, mostly because most RWD cars have lousy weight distribution (with most American "muscle cars" being the very worst in that regard).

In my home state of Colorado, the State Troopers still use some RWD cars (though AWD is becoming pretty common). I asked one of the Troopers how they manage on bad winter roads with RWD cars. The answer from one, "A year of intense driver training and about a ton of lead ballast on the frame behind the rear axle."

Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,569,548 times
Rolls-Royce still uses a push rod V8 because of how it delivers its power to the wheels. Though it has very good acceleration for a vehicle of this size and weight, it's not neck snapping acceleration. It's power delivery is smooth and loaded with torque. I've driven both OHC and OHV engines. For smaller lighter cars, OHC is fine. Until the VVT, OHC cars had to have high RPMs to get the torque. With OHV engines, you got that torque at lower RPMs. It's a different acceleration feel.

The same goes with FWD. I've driven both. I don't live in snow country. FWD is fine for the average daily driving. If you're a hardcore racer I can see you wanting RWD. However, there are professional racers who drive FWD cars.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,414,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Front wheel drive is worse in the snow and is bad but push rod gas v8s are the best engine design ever made. Like Bret The Hitman Hart, the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.
Gee I don't know about that. I know our Maxima is better in the snow than my Mustang. Of course I have a 4X4 for real snow.

Yes the push rod v-8 were the best engines made here but as soon as NASCAR switches to OHC that will be the end of the push rod engines. I mean as soon as GM allows them to switch.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,414,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Rolls-Royce still uses a push rod V8 because of how it delivers its power to the wheels. Though it has very good acceleration for a vehicle of this size and weight, it's not neck snapping acceleration. It's power delivery is smooth and loaded with torque. I've driven both OHC and OHV engines. For smaller lighter cars, OHC is fine. Until the VVT, OHC cars had to have high RPMs to get the torque. With OHV engines, you got that torque at lower RPMs. It's a different acceleration feel.

The same goes with FWD. I've driven both. I don't live in snow country. FWD is fine for the average daily driving. If you're a hardcore racer I can see you wanting RWD. However, there are professional racers who drive FWD cars.
I think you are confusing big cube engines with small cube engines. Torque has nothing to do with where the cam is located.
Big cube long stroke engines will always have more torque than small displacement short stroke engines.

I was never a big fan of FWD but since I have owned mine I find no problem with it especially in snow.

My next car will be AWD with a twin turbo OHC V6

Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,903,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
LOL. Fun thread. I like FWD well enough, but if you're going to ask what configuration I'd ideally drive, FR all the way baby!

As to pushrods being bad, blasphemy! Old tech? Yeah, but it's a smaller engine, less moving parts, and proven. As much as I really like the new lineup of Ford engines, gimme an LS block anyday. Plenty of room under the hood to mess around.

Mike
lol. ever change the plugs on the last gen F body?? come on.. Push rod v8's are no different to work on the OHC v8's.

FWD is great for an every day driver if you are not going to pop for awd or 4wd.. Much better in bad weather then rwd that for sure..

Old 12-17-2010, 07:45 AM

204 posts, read 1,506,378 times
I can't live without Front Wheel Drive. My 1995 Plymouth Neon Sport Coupe, 1995 Buick Park Avenue and mama's 2008 Buick Lucerne are all Front Drivers. We live in Anchorage, Alaska. I can cruise any ice covered venue in the Neon, drop a gear, nail the throttle and spin 1/8th mile without any loss of directional control - try that with any rear drive or all wheel drive. Additionally, we go studless - if it's not Bridgestone Blizzak, it's not on our cars. Finally, I'll leave the engine configuration/design debate to the motor heads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive