Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 28,588 times

Advertisements

I would like to learn about cars. How to fix them and how everything works. I am just a beginner. Experienced people, is the best way to learn just to take classes at a comm college? Will they teach me everything? I'd like to be able to teach my son about cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,160,683 times
There is no better way to start than to get a service manual for the car you have now and read it (several times if needed) and UNDERSTAND what it tells you. Having your car to actually look at and start doing the basic service on will let you put the reading into action and tell you quick if you have the basic skills. The owners manuals like you buy at autozone are made for the novice to understand. If you have trouble understanding one of them you would really be over your head trying to take an automotive class..

Last edited by Nativechief; 12-10-2010 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
There is no better way to start than to get a service manual for the car you have now and read it (several times if needed) and UNDERSTAND what it tells you. Having your car to actually look at and start doing the basic service on will let you put the reading into action and tell you quick if you have the basic skills. The owners manuals like you buy at autozone are made for the novice to understand. If you have trouble understanding one of them you would really be over your head trying to take an automotive class..
I undersrand. I actually have always wanted to learn about cars and how to repair them. These books must really explain in simple detail how to fix and repair your own car. If this is the case and this is all it is for an average person to do basic repairs than millions of Americans are actually getting ripped off at repair shops all across the nation.

Last edited by NorthCarolina95; 12-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,656,539 times
Please don't confuse "being able to" repair/maintain a vehicle with "wanting" to repair/maintain a vehicle. There are many many people (including myself) that don't have the time to work on cars.

With that being said .... look into an "intro auto maintenance" class at your local community college - they often offer this type of course.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Please don't confuse "being able to" repair/maintain a vehicle with "wanting" to repair/maintain a vehicle. There are many many people (including myself) that don't have the time to work on cars.
Quote:

With that being said .... look into an "intro auto maintenance" class at your local community college - they often offer this type of course.

I basically said if these books make it that easy for an average person to repair his or her car then millions of Americans are getting ripped off. There are over 300 million people in this country. Many people are currently collecting unemployment with lots of time. Believe me, if it's just looking into a book and spending the time to read and understand, millions of Americans are literally getting ripped off at repair shops.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,735,020 times
Quote:

Where can someone learn how to do stuff like changing oil/air filters/tire rotations?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,979,549 times
Think NC has a lot to understand. Manuals are only a guide line and NOT the Bible when it comes to working on a auto. Remove a wheel and then the tire from it and then reasemble back to original a few times. A lot of sweat and you have accomplished a feat.

Now we go the engine. You have to know the name of the various parts...there location and function. Sounds easy right? What part is NOT working properly on a hit and miss running engine. How does a person know exactly what to remove. So we look into the manual for trouble shooting answers. They may list 10 possibilities of your problem. Do you pull and replace all 10 items and at the same time fix the problem? You just might get lucky and then again spend a lot of money on the engine still with the same old problem.

I speak as a retired mechanic of 28 yrs...trust me, It Ain't easy by any means. I go back to the early Carbs and the New FI is another ball game that I would rather NOT learn.

Buy a junker to piddle on so if any mistakes are made...NO LOSS.

Steve

Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Think NC has a lot to understand. Manuals are only a guide line and NOT the Bible when it comes to working on a auto. Remove a wheel and then the tire from it and then reasemble back to original a few times. A lot of sweat and you have accomplished a feat.

Now we go the engine. You have to know the name of the various parts...there location and function. Sounds easy right? What part is NOT working properly on a hit and miss running engine. How does a person know exactly what to remove. So we look into the manual for trouble shooting answers. They may list 10 possibilities of your problem. Do you pull and replace all 10 items and at the same time fix the problem? You just might get lucky and then again spend a lot of money on the engine still with the same old problem.

I speak as a retired mechanic of 28 yrs...trust me, It Ain't easy by any means. I go back to the early Carbs and the New FI is another ball game that I would rather NOT learn.

Buy a junker to piddle on so if any mistakes are made...NO LOSS.

Steve
Yes I am sure it takes lots of time to learn. This is why I thought going to school and getting training from a professional would be the best way. But I can see how it could be very possible for someone to learn basic repairs from the service book. The same basic repairs that a service shop would charge double or triple for. With so many people out of work, this would be an excellent way for them to spend time with their kids, teaching them something about cars. Money is tough in this economy more Americans in this generation need to learn more about cars.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,059,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolina95 View Post
I would like to learn about cars. How to fix them and how everything works. I am just a beginner. Experienced people, is the best way to learn just to take classes at a comm college? Will they teach me everything? I'd like to be able to teach my son about cars.
Yep, a community college course or Adult Ed class is a good way to go. There are little tricks to doing things that you're not going to get from a manual. Go for it! You'll enjoy it, learn a lot, and build confidence to do things yourself. There's nothing like being an apprentice and having a knowledgeable person there to talk you through it.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:05 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,963,581 times
There's nothing like being an apprentice and having a knowledgeable person there to talk you through it.

I absolutely agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive