Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:29 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times

Advertisements

By "counter torque" I mean use both hands on the ratchet or breaker bar, don't just grab the end of the ratchet and pull. Assuming this is like most 4-bangers you'll put the ratchet/extension/socket on the plug, swing the ratchet around so it's off to the left, grab the "head" end of the ratchet with your right hand, handle with your left, and pull steadily with the left while you hold pressure with the right hand, so that you are exerting a "clean" torque, as opposed to if you just drop the wrench down on the plug and give the handle of the ratchet a yank.

This would be so much easier to show you than tell you.

I didn't know about "counter torque" till I went through the Navy Nuke program, in the about 20 years I messed with cars up to that point I broke off and buggered way more bolts/nuts/etc. than after I learnt what Uncle Rickover had to teach. Probably a good beginning auto mechanics class would go over this.

This is the trouble when you are self-taught, sometimes some fundamentals are not obvious and unless someone tells you or you do a lot of reading, you have to learn it the hard way.

Surely there is a "Fonzi" type of guy in your neighborhood who would be willing to show you the ropes?

It's impossible to say in words how much torque is too much trying to get the plugs out. That's a "feel" thing you'll develop.

Keep in mind that all the crusty old car guys here at one time knew less than you do now. You are already head and shoulders above all "...those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Now get in there and change those damn plugs!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Mitch I know what you mean, but can't explain any better than you have. he should too.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Wrong.

If the "metal will be expanded", meaning the metal in the head, don't you think the spark plug will also expand?

Never try to remove a plug from anything but a cold engine, especially if the head is aluminum.
I didnt know that ALL metals expanded at the same rate ......I learned something....Here I was all these years thinking that some metals would get hotter quicker than other metals and was wrong ..Thanks for this very important technical information.. Im happy we have experts here to teach us................lol

Last edited by Nativechief; 12-02-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 04:30 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Every factory manual that I have for cars (or bikes) with aluminum heads recommends doing the spark plug change with the motor cold.

In my experience, it's a lot easier to avoid stuck plugs by changing them fairly often, and using anti-seize on the spark plug threads. That does not help the OP though.

Aluminum definitely expands more than steel when heated an equal amount, offhand it would be hard to say if the spark plug holes get smaller or larger as the head heats up, but most of them are massive enough I would expect them to get smaller.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM

years ago on alloy heads it wasn't seized threads it was a wicked hard carbon ring on the plug base. That carbon was so hard it would cut the head side threads. I don't know if this is the problem here. In my shop I made it a rule to drive any car that had seeming stuck threads, if then that still didn't work the crew was to come let ME deal with it.

Another part of the problem then was Bosche plugs which I liked well were breaking and deemed defective eventually. That was costly in terms of time, getting the threads out.

I changed to all NGK plug then, and never went back since. Still the carbon was a problem, and the well warmed engine did work and the threads were saved for it IMO. I am not talking about 1 or 2 cars a year but 20-60+ a day over years.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,861,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
A few hundred? Are you adding it to your bathwater?

(I once knew a guy that would spray WD-40 on his elbows for arthritis. He claimed it helped)
Nope brother I work in a oil refinry and break bolts for a living, the first thang we do is walk the job out before I can get a permit to work, generaly I bring a can of kroil oil when I look at the job and spray all the bolts, unions or any other fastners that I'm gona work on with the magical solution, then in a few hours or so when I get the permit most everythang comes apart so much easier, and you thought gasoline came out of the ground.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Which is better to loosen spark plugs up? PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench?

These spark plugs require a spark plug deep socket to get out so they are in there.
My knee jerk is PB Blaster.

My secondary response is to ask if this is an F-150. If it is, take it to a Ford mechanic before you break a spark plug, have it drop into the engine and have to get a tow truck to take it to a Ford mechanic.

*EDIT* ---- Nevermind ---- *EDIT*

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 12-02-2010 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Needed to read more than the first post...

Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I didnt know that ALL metals expanded at the same rate ......I learned something....Here I was all these years thinking that some metals would get hotter quicker than other metals and was wrong ..Thanks for this very important technical information.. Im happy we have experts here to teach us................lol
You're welcome.
Any time you need further schooling, just let me know.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times
I have always been under the impression that heating things isn't really what helps free up something that's stuck, but it is actually when they begin to cool down at differing rates that helps you free them.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 AM

I dunno KoobleKar. This past summer I put 190 psi to some bolts that were rusted up hard with my CP 1/2 drive impact gun and it stopped that bad boy before it got started.

With Mr. Hot Wrench I made these bolts almost white hot, and still the gun had a real bad time. If I didn't have that heat those bolts would still be there and the job never done. I even swapped out air lines to be 5/8th inch ID for max impact. The plan was get these rusty bolts out or blow my gun to bits.

I raced that gun with one from Ingersol Rand once. It was a newer gun then of course, and it turned the supposedly equal Rand backwards before the socket broke. I really recommend safety glasses and some body armor if you ever try that stupid stunt. That hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive