Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM

797 posts, read 3,585,054 times

Advertisements

^awesome, thanks! What I cannot understand at all with these small SUVs is that so many of them have TERRIBLE visibility when checking over your shoulder to the right (while driving). There is no 3rd window or its all body pretty much, and you really cannot see anything. It really is bothersome. You have to use either the passenger side 2nd window or your rear window to see, and that leaves TON of invisible area you cannot see. Very dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,142,473 times
There's a rear view mirror extender you can purchase to rid this issue. I've seen it at Auto Zone or one of the other major auto parts stores before.
Something like this:
Bully Clip-On Rear View Mirror Extender - Convex - Bully Truck Accessories PM-178 - Truck Customizers

Old 11-19-2010, 12:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
How are the roads where you live? I have a Rav-4 and am love with it for the 4WD. (First 4WD I've ever had so I really have nothing to compare it to.) But... I live where the roads wash out. Also take it to the middle of nowhere for horse competitions. (I don't tow with it.) It goes where I point it. Also great for tight spots in parking lots. Silly thing just goes up and over the curbs.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Roads are all paved, and I don't need the 4WD in it. This car is for my wife, I still have a 4WD 1995 Isuzu Rodeo we can use if it snows.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
If you like the GMC Terrain, then you should like the Chevy Equinox as they are different versions of the same SUV. Unless you don't like a Chevy logo on your car. The Equinox comes with less standard features than GMC Terrain but otherwise are very similar. The current Equinox got good reviews and has good gas mileage, but the older ones may or may not be as good.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 PM

^Thanks

Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 AM

So we test drove a 2008 Toyota Rav-4 and a 2008 Honda CR-V this weekend and learned alot. We definitely like the driving/handling/and visibility of the Rav-4 more than the CR-V. The Rav-4 had much more pep in it, but more importantly, the CR-V has some poor sightlines in the back rear windows that make you have a pretty significant blind spot that you do not get with the Rav-4. I noticed that older CR-Vs (pre-2006) have a much bigger rear window making visibility better, but we do not want a car that old). Atleast I know CR-V is off the list, and that works out well since those are usually the most pricey used small SUVs b/c they retain their resale value so well (I do not care about that since we are keeping this car until it dies).

Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 PM

20,306 posts, read 37,269,510 times
1. Toyota Rav 4, 4x4 (either 6-cylinder, or 4)
2. Honda CRV

Even in Alaska one of these (up to 2008 with 40-50K miles) should cost a lot less than $20,000.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 PM

20,306 posts, read 37,269,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
So we test drove a 2008 Toyota Rav-4 and a 2008 Honda CR-V this weekend and learned alot. We definitely like the driving/handling/and visibility of the Rav-4 more than the CR-V. The Rav-4 had much more pep in it, but more importantly, the CR-V has some poor sightlines in the back rear windows that make you have a pretty significant blind spot that you do not get with the Rav-4. I noticed that older CR-Vs (pre-2006) have a much bigger rear window making visibility better, but we do not want a car that old). Atleast I know CR-V is off the list, and that works out well since those are usually the most pricey used small SUVs b/c they retain their resale value so well (I do not care about that since we are keeping this car until it dies).
Agree with you. Older CRV's offer a lot more visibility, plus their bodies (outside) look a lot cuter. The new ones look like fat jellybeans. Honda screwed-up the external looks of the CRV.

If you sit on the driver's seat of a 2008-2010 Toyota Rav 4 and adjust all the rearview mirrors, you will notice that you get the feeling that you have a very wide path of visibility behind you. You look at the right side-view mirror, then move your eyes to the center rearview mirror (on the windshield), and then the left rearview mirror, and it seems that there is not a blind spot between each. It feels like these mirrors are connected to each other. However, like all automobiles, things on the right rearview mirror may be closer than what they really are. This is important after passing another car, and then moving to the same lane. So, always look at the car you have just passed on the center rearview mirror, before merging to the same lane

Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM

^Yea, its just nice to finally be able to start crossing cars off the list. Since CR-Vs cost more used, thats a good thing we have ruled it out! We are going to try a Subaru Forester and Outback next weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive