Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 PM

124 posts, read 91,889 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job in the city in the fall. I live in the city. I currently commute out to the 'burbs because for some reason or another (I can't really figure it out), my company refuses to invest in the city. I am a city guy, urban dweller, through and through...and I love it. Suburbs drive me crazy...no really interesting architecture, very decentralized, everyone drives, pedestrian unfriendly, and filled with big box stores and blandish restaurants.

So, if I get this job I am thinking about giving the car to my girlfriend to use for her job (she has an old beater now), and I will take public transportation. Car's already paid off, but I figure I can beat the insurance and gas payments by buying a $40 monthly bus pass that whisks me from outside my apartment building to downtown in 15 minutes (good time to read), and sharing the cost of one auto with my girlfriend.

Given the choice between an automobile and convenient public transportation, would you chose the latter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Convenient public transportation. I choose it every day!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:44 PM

332 posts, read 449,257 times
Automobile, I don't mind public transportation but I would rather have a car just in case I'm in a emergency and need to get somewhere quick.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
I guess it would depend on where you live. If you're in the suburbs you NEED a car. If you live in a good city there should be a good public transit system available for cummuting purposes. Personally I don't like driving. Having a car is a MAJOR expense and with $4 a gallon at the pump doesn't make me feel any better. Costs for public transit are skyrocketing as well but still a cheaper alternative than the other.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Depends on how convenient the public transportation really is.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 PM

49 posts, read 159,697 times
I would ride a bike everywhere if I could
But I work 40 miles away from my house and I have two kids.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermyst View Post
I would ride a bike everywhere if I could
But I work 40 miles away from my house and I have two kids.
I would as well. It's better for the environment and it's better for your body.
I think it would be a positive shift in improving our lives but unfortunately that will never happen as cities are designed for long cimmutes unless you're living somewhere like NY or Chicago where a car isn't necessary.

The other issue is how are you going to transport your personal items as you can only fit so much in a backpack? Or say you buy a TV and need to take it home etc...

I'm amazed as to how many cities in the U.S. lack not only good but even decent public transportation. Some places don't even have busses or rail or maybe one of the other. Another MAJOR failure of the local goverment but as anything there's politics and money associated with such decisions. Unfortunately, it's not about making a better city but more about how PROFITABLE it will be.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:22 PM

49 posts, read 159,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I would as well. It's better for the environment and it's better for your body.
I think it would be a positive shift in improving our lives but unfortunately that will never happen as cities are designed for long cimmutes unless you're living somewhere like NY or Chicago where a car isn't necessary.

The other issue is how are you going to transport your personal items as you can only fit so much in a backpack? Or say you buy a TV and need to take it home etc...

I'm amazed as to how many cities in the U.S. lack not only good but even decent public transportation. Some places don't even have busses or rail or maybe one of the other. Another MAJOR failure of the local goverment but as anything there's politics and money associated with such decisions. Unfortunately, it's not about making a better city but more about how PROFITABLE it will be.
Baltimore, Md is not awful with public transportation. I would never suggest anyone live in Baltimore though. They have the MARC Trains, subway, lightrail and buses that run pretty regularly. It has been about 10 years since I used them but they were somewhat decent then.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Depends on the city. In St. Louis, I generally would recommend the automobile unless you conveniently live within a very short walking distance of the Metrolink. St. Louis' many interstate highways and efficient roads for getting downtown make having an automobile a no-brainer. You can get pretty much anywhere in the city at least from where I am, at the very center of the STL MSA, within 20 minutes or less. In KC I'd suspect an automobile would work too, unless KC has a train like the Metrolink, which as far as I know it doesn't...although I could be wrong. I can't believe I know so little about the other major city in Missouri just 200 or so miles due west of me!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Both. I think New York is the only city in the nation where you can live w/o a car because of their extensive network of trains. But everywhere else, you need a car. I like to have both imo. It's great to have a great public transporation system. But it's also great to have a backup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive