Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,373,866 times

Advertisements

they start slowing down about a half-mile before they have to stop " - this is my MIL.

Worst for me "left land bandits" on the Interstates. Get the h*llover and let us by and we will be out of your life forever!!

And teenage boys / girls driving Dad's expen$ive $UV... Parents you should SEE how your "babies" tear up these things. Are these parents nuts for letting their kids loose in these things?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM

498 posts, read 1,458,282 times
1. Not pulling all the way up to the line at an intersection. You're doing NO GOOD by staying 5-10 feet behind the line.

2. Turning slowly. You don't have to be going <2 mph to turn safely, even if you're in a suburban.

3. Anyone in a Buick, no exceptions.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,314,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
they start slowing down about a half-mile before they have to stop " - this is my MIL.

Worst for me "left land bandits" on the Interstates. Get the h*llover and let us by and we will be out of your life forever!!

And teenage boys / girls driving Dad's expen$ive $UV... Parents you should SEE how your "babies" tear up these things. Are these parents nuts for letting their kids loose in these things?!
None of them ever hit and run in a parking lot either, do they? You know, back out of their parking place and crunch! Better jetto from the ghetto before someone calls the cops!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,580,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
1. Not pulling all the way up to the line at an intersection. You're doing NO GOOD by staying 5-10 feet behind the line.

2. Turning slowly. You don't have to be going <2 mph to turn safely, even if you're in a suburban.

3. Anyone in a Buick, no exceptions.
My hospital's young ER doctor drives the 2010 Buick Lacrosse. He loves it and does not drive it like a blue haired grandma.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
Another flip off incident happened tonight when sitting at a red light the fat pig behind me starts honking her horn for me to move once the light turned green before i had the time to put the car in gear and proceed forward, gee at least give me a second to push the clutch in and out She proceeded to tear off down the road at 60mph in a 30mph zone,ran two stop signs and blew through a red light,i might have thought she had some kind of emergency had she not pulled up beside me after the initial red light blowing her horn and flipping me of intensely, looking into the womans eyes as she passed i saw the look of insanity

Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Another flip off incident happened tonight when sitting at a red light the fat pig behind me starts honking her horn for me to move once the light turned green before i had the time to put the car in gear and proceed forward, gee at least give me a second to push the clutch in and out She proceeded to tear off down the road at 60mph in a 30mph zone,ran two stop signs and blew through a red light,i might have thought she had some kind of emergency had she not pulled up beside me after the initial red light blowing her horn and flipping me of intensely, looking into the womans eyes as she passed i saw the look of insanity
I was stuck behind a woman who was on her way to work. She was doing 15 to 20 mph in a 35 mph zone. She was busy putting on her make-up. At the next light I was finally able to get around her and stopped next to her car at the light. All I did was roll down my passenger window and stare at her so hard she felt me. She did a double take, put away all her make-up, and put her eyes forward to the road ahead. I probably saved her life or someone else's life that day.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Haha... I have a variation of that in a manual. Those of us who still have and drive manual transmissons raise your hands..... I! You are sitting on a hill and some automatic driver inches up and almost touches your bumper while you are waiting at the light or on a train or whatever. You struggle the whole time to keep your ride in its exact location because if you roll back while sitting or taking off less than 4 inches.......Bonk!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Haha... I have a variation of that in a manual. Those of us who still have and drive manual transmissons raise your hands..... I! You are sitting on a hill and some automatic driver inches up and almost touches your bumper while you are waiting at the light or on a train or whatever. You struggle the whole time to keep your ride in its exact location because if you roll back while sitting or taking off less than 4 inches.......Bonk!!!
Been there. My 1984 Buick Skyhawk had a 4 speed manual with a clutch going out. Though that engine was a 90 hp 2.0L 4 banger, that car was light and I ended up popping my clutch and spinning my tires to avoid hitting the guy behind me. I'm in a 2003 Malibu now. I don't know who has stick or auto so I pull up to the car to the point just before I don't see the bottom of his back tires. If he hits my car at that distance then he doesn't deserve to drive a stick.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Been there. My 1984 Buick Skyhawk had a 4 speed manual with a clutch going out. Though that engine was a 90 hp 2.0L 4 banger, that car was light and I ended up popping my clutch and spinning my tires to avoid hitting the guy behind me. I'm in a 2003 Malibu now. I don't know who has stick or auto so I pull up to the car to the point just before I don't see the bottom of his back tires. If he hits my car at that distance then he doesn't deserve to drive a stick.
I don't ride the the clutch to hold it but that is what they taught us to do when I was in drivers ed when I was a kid. That will toast a clutch like no ones business. A little on take off is ok but don't sit there for five minutes doing it. You smell that? It's your friction disc burning up!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I don't ride the the clutch to hold it but that is what they taught us to do when I was in drivers ed when I was a kid. That will toast a clutch like no ones business. A little on take off is ok but don't sit there for five minutes doing it. You smell that? It's your friction disc burning up!
Wasn't riding the clutch. Brother-in-law also thought I had been riding the clutch (I was taught by my dad who drove 18 wheelers). He bought the car off of me when I went into the Navy. Few years later he was replacing the clutch and then he said it was a problem with the design or something cause he never rides the clutch. He built his own T-bucket with manual transmission and rides it on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive