Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times

Advertisements

Yes, but you still had to show up in person to sign the paperwork. Slightly more difficult if you are several hundred miles away.

However he wants to do it, I'd definitely buy the car while I still had a job. Banks are picky these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
eh banks are picky and the zero and the mnaufacturers are even more strick. thus the disclaimer on mnay loan ads that say t"for well quaified buyers'. The dealers are in fact actaully having to setup more finacing themsleves these days which is always higher than teh manufacvtuers financing. Een many banls are turenig down peole with no job now that have money in the bank itself.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Seems kind of silly to finance something in your situation. Buy a good used car with cash is a better idea.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Be aware you will pay the sales tax again when transferring to CA. Auto registration is now about $350 a year for newer cars. After moving to CA you have 10 days to begin the registration process, penalties are sharp.
Not quite, you have to pay the difference between your home state's sales tax rate and the local rate where you'll be living.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Seems kind of silly to finance something in your situation. Buy a good used car with cash is a better idea.

I agree. Wait 'till you're finished with grad school and have a full time job before you get a new car. You have no debt. Best to keep it that way at this time.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

I love the assumption that everyone has a few thousand dollars laying around to sink into a car.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Hage View Post
I'm planning to move to CA in a month, going to a graduate school and will have only a part time job. As I need to have a second car with financing (I want a new Nissan Versa S or SL), I was wondering if it's better to purchase a car before quitting my current full time job in order to get an auto loan with a special interest rate (I'm interested in Nissan's 0.9% offer for 60months).

My credit score is 800+ and I have no debt. However, I'm going to submit my two-week resignation notice to my employee soon. In this case, as long as my purchase comes before my submission of the notice, is it gonna be no problem with financing??

Once I move to CA, I don't have a full time job and will start a new mortgage payment. In this situation, even if my credit score is high, is it hard for me get a special interest rate offered by Nissan dealers? If so, about what interest rate should I expect to be offered?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.
OK, you already own one car (what is it? Still making payments?) and your strategy is to quit your job, move to a high cost of living area, and buy a 2nd, brand-new car. Anybody see a problem with this? Anyone? Buehler?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I love the assumption that everyone has a few thousand dollars laying around to sink into a car.
So you're saying if someone doesn't have the money for a two thousand dollar used car, they should go out and buy a new one while they only have a part time job? That's the recipe for buyer's remorse.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM

21 posts, read 54,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK, you already own one car (what is it? Still making payments?) and your strategy is to quit your job, move to a high cost of living area, and buy a 2nd, brand-new car. Anybody see a problem with this? Anyone? Buehler?
Like I said, I have no debt, that is, no payments on my current car. I don't see any problem with my plan because I know that it won't lead me to a financial disaster. I hate to see my credit scores (now 800+) go down so much by not paying mortgages, autos, and so on. So, the question is NOT whether my getting a second car is a good idea or not. I wanted to know if there will be a difference in the interest rate between before and after my move, given my situation. Luckily, I've already gotten a real good advice here

Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
So you're saying if someone doesn't have the money for a two thousand dollar used car, they should go out and buy a new one while they only have a part time job? That's the recipe for buyer's remorse.
I wouldn't call that buyer's remorse, that's just stupid.

When the lender calls to make sure the OP still has that full time job the loan was approved under and finds the OP has moved onto less green pastures....that car is coming back.

So, if the OP doesn't even have a few grand for a down payment on said new car, well...delete the question now, because this exercise will be pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive