Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,733,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I don't believe "recent" quality reports that prop up any american car. Don't fall for this scam. Stick with Lexus or Toyota or Honda. They are hard to find for a reason.
Yeah...because they're rusting in junkyards across the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,301,926 times
Quote:
I don't believe "recent" quality reports that prop up any american car. Don't fall for this scam. Stick with Lexus or Toyota or Honda. They are hard to find for a reason.

Just curious, do you have a job? Do you need one?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 AM

24,521 posts, read 33,396,630 times
Quote:
No, thanks. I'll stick with American cars.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,288,395 times
Quote:
I have not been in any of them long term, but I do "rent" alot of cars for vacation. I have had countless Camrys over the past few rentals... one was last October with 8000 miles. It was a good car... however I was recently in a 2010 Ford Fusion with 10K miles and I honestly could not see where the quality was any lower than the Camry... in fact, the Fusion seemed to be even higher quality in many ways. Another thing is that the transmission shifts were better in the Fusion than any 08+ Camry I have been in.

I am a fan of Japanese makes, dont get me wrong, but mostly its the older ones in the 80s and 90s. From 1997 until February of this year I always oned at least one Japanese make... but it was an 80s or 90s model. I had one 2000 Toyota, it was good. Currently though this is the first time I have not owned a Japanese make, but dad still has his work truck, a 1985 Nissan with 250K miles .

Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,408,850 times
Quote:
Because Toyota is fleeting the hell out of their lineup? Helloo Avis!

I'll stick with my Lincoln, thanks. I don't have to worry about veering unexpectedly into opposing traffic.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,057,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
im looking to buy a used vehicle with under 100K miles on it. with a carfax report.

Ive always heard that honda and toyota were the best but i just cant find one with under 100k miles on it in my area. i really dont want to have to put the car in the shop after 3 months of driving it around. i know used cars really depend on their previous upkeep, but give me an idea on brands.
I picked up the latest Consumer Report and they had the best cars for different price points. I'd say have a look..

For me, one of the best cars I ever owned.. a Volvo 240... bullet proof tank.. I had an accident and hit 3 cars and it still ran fine.. i miss that car..

Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,338,729 times
Any company can make a great car and any company can make junk. I used to have a 2001 Ford Windstar minivan that was the best vehicle I or my husband has ever owned, hands down. In the five years that I had it, all I had in it was tires and oil changes. Seriously. When we traded it it had over 140,000 miles on it and still ran great. I really wish I still had it, but I mistakenly got new car fever and gave up the best vehicle I've ever had. OTOH, I have a family member who bought a Honda Odyssey minivan, also a 2001 and also purchased new, and it has been a huge headache from day one. I can't even fathom how much money they've dumped into that thing, but they keep it because it's paid for. Butt ugly and overhyped, that's been my experience with Honda vehicles.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,358,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
im looking to buy a used vehicle with under 100k miles on it. With a carfax report.

Ive always heard that honda and toyota were the best but i just cant find one with under 100k miles on it in my area. I really dont want to have to put the car in the shop after 3 months of driving it around. I know used cars really depend on their previous upkeep, but give me an idea on brands.
#1-Honda
#2-Honda
#3-Honda

Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,358,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
to be honest, Honda's been making some bad missteps very recently. The new Acura TL looks like a mockery of the much better-looking 2004-08 model. The new Insight is what would happen if old GM tried to build a Prius: a penalty box with evident corner-cutting in its execution. And the CR-Z is the opposite of what made past Hondas great: it's miserably boring to drive, and doesn't get that great mpg. I won't even get started on the Crosstour.
Agreed, Honda has lost it completely from a design and product placement perspective. They need help; the CR-Z more or less says it all. Honda has become incredibly bland and complacent..much like Toyota. Hyundai has literally become what Honda and Toyota used to be, and at least Ford is trying to right their wrongs and introduce some interesting products and engines after years of crap. I'd even say that GM is more interesting than Honda at this point...and that's a disgusting thing to say.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,956,100 times
GM has been a "work in progress" for as long as I can remember. It's hard to get your act together when you have eight different divisions each trying to find a unique identity among what is essentially the same group of consumers. If the bailout doesn't teach GM that they can no longer act like they're the only game in town, then it will be all for naught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive