Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times

Advertisements

It seems like the IRL has become about as popular in the US as the NASCAR Truck Series, excluding the Indy 500 weekend. Why is it so much less popular than NASCAR and what could it do to improve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,084,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It seems like the IRL has become about as popular in the US as the NASCAR Truck Series, excluding the Indy 500 weekend. Why is it so much less popular than NASCAR and what could it do to improve?
I think it is because there is hardly ever side by side racing. One can't really rub fenders on an Indy car, so most find it boring. I went to RIR a few years ago to watch an IRL race, and Dario led every lap. Not very exciting, and I am not sure if they can do anything about it.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,884,447 times
Simple. The fan can identify with a stock car. It sort of resembles what they drive everyday. Used to be even more so in the past than now. Today's cars are built from a common template but still can be identified by the grill and headlight decals.

On the other hand, an IRL car is more like an oversized go-kart. No brand association whatsoever.

By the way, in my opinion the truck series has the best racing of all 3 NASCAR top divisions.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,926,608 times
I tend to agree that Nascar entries are more in line with the cars you see on the street, as compared to other series. What was really cool was when they "really" looked like the production vehicles, not just the decals placed on the common template cars.

I've been a Nascar fan since the mid-70's, mostly CUP and of course local, short track racing. Never cared for 1/4 miler's or Indy/Cart racing. They just weren't real race car's that I could identify with. I don't knock anyone that does like these other series. They just never "did it" for me.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
Anyone familiar with the UK/ Australia, is touring car racing more popular than Formula One because it offers more side by side (and close quarters) racing?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM

111 posts, read 188,648 times
the split in open wheel racing in addition to the growing popularity has hurt indy cars. They are getting on track now.

IMHO Open wheel cars are not made to race on small ovals.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,084,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86000 View Post
the split in open wheel racing in addition to the growing popularity has hurt indy cars. They are getting on track now.

IMHO Open wheel cars are not made to race on small ovals.
Couldn't agree more, open wheel cars should stay away from the small ovals.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 PM

635 posts, read 1,167,452 times
Quote:
Why is it so much less popular than NASCAR
The series lacks the financial resources and sponsorship clout to attract any talented drivers. It has really become just a dumping ground for rejects from other leagues and for the talentless progeny of former greats.

Quote:
and what could it do to improve?
End it and give the track over to ALMS boys on the July 4th weekend.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
Quote:
Anyone familiar with the UK/ Australia, is touring car racing more popular than Formula One because it offers more side by side (and close quarters) racing?
In Australia V8 Supercars over shadows F1 in Australia, but in the UK F1 definitely rules the day in terms of daily public interest. The british touring car championship doesn't really attract much interest outside the most devoted motor racing fans. An average race in the UK for the BTCC might attract around 15000 fans to the track.

In Australia, F1 gets a big bump when the Australian GP comes to town, but a lot of interest year round goes towards V8 Supercars, much the Nascar is huge in the USA.

What to do about the IRL? Well it has fallen so far I really don't know if it can be saved. The only hope is a sale of the sport by the speedway to an interested party that can take it on and open up the rules to encourage more chassis and engine development.

The big problem with the IRL is negativity. The split over the years drove fans and sponsors away starting in 1996 to now where almost no one cares anymore. It has to turn a new leaf with a new start and bring back the coolness and wow factor that existed back in the CART days of the 1980's and 1990's.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
The series lacks the financial resources and sponsorship clout to attract any talented drivers. It has really become just a dumping ground for rejects from other leagues and for the talentless progeny of former greats.

End it and give the track over to ALMS boys on the July 4th weekend.
You can't sell sponsorship anymore to meet the costs of fielding a car, so most of the money now comes from ride buyers no one has heard of.

Necessary for the teams to survive, but another shot in the side towards long term prosperity as no one here knows or cares who these rich kids are.

The ALMS is about the only interesting track based series left in the USA at the moment, despite their problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing