Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:15 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times

Advertisements

Watching the NASCAR Hall of Fame special on Speed last night, brought back thought's about Petty's 200th win. You had the president there, tons of banners professionaly made up, etc. I also throw in Jeff Gordon's Winston Million win and MAYBE Earnhardt's Daytona win.

Now before you call me nuts, you and I know that NASCAR does what it wants and makes up rules on the fly. Hell, the rules seem to change from week to week and they are different for each driver it would seem. NASCAR is capable of anything. NASCAR is losing fans left and right and attendance is sliding back to becoming a joke. I am willing to bet that before the year is out, there will be some "big win" or controversy at a race or two to bring out some big headlines and attempt to bring back fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:30 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times
I'm not certain NASCAR is losing fans, sure some have left but there's always the newbies that get hooked week in and week out...I brought some newbie's to Darlington this year and are now HOOKED. Sure the attendance sucks in comparison to last year and prior...but the economic hit wasn't quiet as bad either...

Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
I'm not certain NASCAR is losing fans, sure some have left but there's always the newbies that get hooked week in and week out...I brought some newbie's to Darlington this year and are now HOOKED. Sure the attendance sucks in comparison to last year and prior...but the economic hit wasn't quiet as bad either...
There will always be new fans and loss of old fans in any sport, but when was the last time you could purchase tickets to Bristol? Michigan and Cali are an absolute disgrace for attendance and should lose ALL of their races. And NASCAR and the tracks have put the screws to fans for years. You think a die-cast car is worth the money they are asking? How about a racing jacket that costs $2 to make and they charge $150? They are pricing (GREED) themselves out of business.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times
Bristol? Sure. This is the 1st year i have seen tixs available. All pro sports suck as far as price gouging. But someone has to pay for A-Rod's $20MIL/Yr contract. I agree and think its BS. I love to go see our minor league hockey team here for $12. Those guys bust there asses night in and night out.
These tracks will have to do something to bring the sport back to sellouts. Look at some of the smaller market baseball teams, they have more than 1/2 of the seats empty. Even the NY Mets in there new Billion dollar stadium have only sold out twice! As this economy continues to shrink, (all) pro sports will continue suffer until something is done about it.
I have no clue how much tixs were for a NASCAR race prior to 2005?? And souveniers, sure i agree there, its out of control.

Hoping this is Michigans last year for 2 races! They could get rid of both for all i care. Bring it to Darlington! Those fans want and need another race...

Old 07-03-2009, 02:43 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Bristol? Sure. This is the 1st year i have seen tixs available. All pro sports suck as far as price gouging. But someone has to pay for A-Rod's $20MIL/Yr contract. I agree and think its BS. I love to go see our minor league hockey team here for $12. Those guys bust there asses night in and night out.
These tracks will have to do something to bring the sport back to sellouts. Look at some of the smaller market baseball teams, they have more than 1/2 of the seats empty. Even the NY Mets in there new Billion dollar stadium have only sold out twice! As this economy continues to shrink, (all) pro sports will continue suffer until something is done about it.
I have no clue how much tixs were for a NASCAR race prior to 2005?? And souveniers, sure i agree there, its out of control.

Hoping this is Michigans last year for 2 races! They could get rid of both for all i care. Bring it to Darlington! Those fans want and need another race...

..............and GO SHRUB!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Hell, I used to take the family to the Preds hockey games and sit in the cheap seats for $12/ticket. Now I think they are $20 or more. That is a huge increase in only 3 years!!! NASCAR is now a rich man's spectator sport, imo. We are leaving in a few minutes to go to Paduach International (PIR) to watch dirt races. It will cost me $20 to get in for me, my wife and kid. And we will see a BETTER show than anything NASCAR has put out in years. Dirt races show the real racing in America for people who mainly do it for fun and it's not a business like NASCAR has become.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
..............and GO SHRUB!!!
What's that got to do with anything??? What a mow-ron.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:15 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
The fixing seems to occur more in the Nationwide races. I posted this about 3 months ago:

Friday night Nationwide race nascar's new golden boy Kyle falls 2 laps down. Yay, Kyle's out of contention for a win, but not so fast. On fresher tires Kyle passes the leader,(now only 1 lap down) and very shortly afterwards the yellow flys for debris. Restart and Nascar waits until a couple moments after Kyle becomes lucky dog and throws another yellow for debris,(now he's on the lead lap). Usually the TV cameras will focus on the debris but on neither yellow did they show anything. Biffle wins anyhow.

Justice was finally served when he caught the speeding penalty in Sprint race

It was so blatantly obvious what they were trying to do, it was sickening.

How about the Nationwide race a couple weeks ago at Kentucky, I think it was. Half the damn field was getting caught for speeding off of pit road, Carl got caught 3x. Of course Nascar's wonderboy Kryle didn't get caught for it, yeah right. Hell, I've heard a few booth men this year comment on the 18 and how "he came in hot that time" when entering pit road and yet no penalty.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I cannot imagine Nascar would fix many races at all, since the stakes are so high. Especially at the sprint cup level.

The danger of alienating a larger percentage of fans is very high. If it were to become known that Nascar results were fixed, Nascar would lose it's legitimacy as a competitive sport. I would think the risk of that would far outweigh any gain by having a particular driver win a particular race.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If it were to become known that Nascar results were fixed, Nascar would lose it's legitimacy as a competitive sport.
The way they change rules on the fly almost accomplishes that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing