Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,343,425 times

Advertisements

I can totally understand both sides here. I get bored watching the races but we do personally know some of the drives and have family involved so I still follow the races. My DH was born and raised and worked very close with the NASCAR so he's a die-hard. Even he has lost some interest as of lately though. I will stop and watch it for a few minutes here and there but our TV is on the whole race almost each and every race! I suppose a part of that is "habit"!! Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 PM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
One important rule I have learned through way to many years is that a person should "never" forget their roots!!

There's still a lot to be said for dancin' with the one that brung ya!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,033,523 times
I think the choice of pacecar at Homestead says volumes about where Nascar is headed. And how they can still call it stock car racing and sleep at night is beyond me, it has been going downhill for some time, I don't see it getting better.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,024,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
My own cousin (LeeRoy Yarbrough) was one of the best NASCAR drivers decades ago and even then I have never found out a way to enjoy NASCAR. I did enjoy seeing him drive when I was a kid though.
Those were the days.

LeeRoy Yarbrough Career Statistics - Racing-Reference.info

Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 AM

956 posts, read 3,005,156 times
Modern NASCAR has no personality. Who really cares about these "young gun" drivers, who all look like metrosexuals?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:45 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Modern NASCAR has no personality. Who really cares about these "young gun" drivers, who all look like metrosexuals?

Maybe NASCAR has secretly changed the 'C' to Clone?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,178,789 times
It ain't what it used to be, thats for sure.
Fireball Roberts, Smokey Unick, The King, Dale.
I still enjoy it but it has become too politically correct.
Sanitized, pasteurized, and so on.
Through away the restricter plates, the tuned down engines.
Keep the driver safety features but let the cars RACE.
Get rid of the 35 points rule that guarantees a starting position.
If you dont qualify for that particular week, you don't run.
I don't like the THE CHASE format.
Get back to basics and let the best driver win over the period of the whole season instead of making it a contest of the 12 best at the end of the season.
I would like to see more points awarded for wins.
I think that would give more teams an incentive to run hard to win rather than just run for points and stay out of wrecks which makes NASCAR boring.
It used to be win or crash. Now it's just ride around and don't do anything to upset the sponser.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 AM

You said it pretty well. A lot of what I have thought too. I know in some instances I suppose NASCAR has it's reasons....but we don't have to agree! I guess in trying to make car racing a sport more like other sports they have forgotten some important issues.....like their "Roots".

Old 11-21-2008, 06:41 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,667,565 times
When money became more important than racing, NASCAR lost its loyal fans. We didn't leave NASCAR, it left North Wilkesboro.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 AM

Hmmmmm, has anyone noticed how more so lately then ever the guys that are winning and the announcers are taking a big effort to say "Thanks" to their loyal fans? That's because of the economy AND because their loyal fans are the ones they have shut out so they are not filling those seats anymore! The "loyal" fans would have gone to the races even at the price of giving up something else.....maybe a little to little to late for NASCAR???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing