Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 11:08 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
So if you, as a professional stock car driver and given performance in say the last 5 years, had a choice between driving the 48 car, and oh, lets say a Stewart Haas or Gibbs car, where would you go?
Well there are a lot of variables right? You can be a really good driver and have an opportunity in a really good team but other circumstances make it a deal breaker. Take Dale Jr for example, when he left DEI, he was pretty much the #1 pick for any team , he had his choice. How ever he wasnt going to go to a non chevy team. Then there are the compatibility with the other drivers. Sponsers input etc...
To answer your hypothetical question. In the last 5 years? Stewart Haas would definately rival Hendrick. I personally would not go to Gibbs today, back when he had guys like Jarrett, Labonte and Stewart and ran Chevys and Pontiacs... Absolutely! There are currently no open seats at either of those teams today . from what I read, Stewart wants to keep his 4 drivers in place. Too bad though, if there was an open seat at S/H at the same time the 48 is opening up . Which would Kyle Larson choose to go to? Shouldnt leave Penske out of the conversation either, they only have 3 cars with a Wood Bros as an alliance team. I would certainly entertain that scenario.

Last edited by silas777; 09-22-2020 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
The 4 car and team are the best. Put me there.
My wife is a Harvick fan ad-nauseum.... They definately got it going on this year.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
The 4 car and team are the best. Put me there.
Quote:
So if you, as a professional stock car driver and given performance in say the last 5 years, had a choice between driving the 48 car, and oh, lets say a Stewart Haas or Gibbs car, where would you go?

Think it all comes down to what you feel is best.

Right now, I don't think there's a question that Gibbs and SHR equipment is the best in the garage.

But, let's not forget that the only car doing great at SHR is the 4. Custer, Almirola and Bowyer are.. Generally good for a win a year, but I don't think anyone expects them to be in the championship 4.

Gibbs.. Look at Logano there. Tore it up in Busch.. Won.. 2 races(?) in the 20 in 4 years. Went to the 22 and has 23 wins in 7 years. And that 20 car had won quite a bit before he got in it, and won quite a bit after he left.

Hendrick.. They're down, but on the rebound.

No matter what.. If you were looking for a ride, any of those would be great. If you were offered your choice.. Probably going to come down to how you feel you fit in with the team.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:05 PM

5,677 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Points taken! But I still dont see this "urgency" of the 48 car. If JJ had retired 4 years ago, yes, but now, nah! Just another 15th place team like Jr was.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Points taken! But I still dont see this "urgency" of the 48 car. If JJ had retired 4 years ago, yes, but now, nah! Just another 15th place team like Jr was.
Well we'll soon find out. Right now Elliott is 5th in points , Bowman is 7th and Byron just got knocked out of the top 12. You put Kyle Larson in that 48 with a new lease on life. I dont see any reason why he wont be right up there with Chase. Also just a side note, Chevys have been down across the board for the last couple years compared to fords but as someone else said they are on the rebound.
As far as JJ goes, drivers age they fall off, just a fact , it happens to them all . Rarely do you see one go out on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing