Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 PM

17,803 posts, read 15,625,974 times

Advertisements

So, article I found on Jayski (So glad they're back) relating to the possibility of a NASCAR/Indycar doubleheader at some track.. I thought about that.. And.. What about Indy?

https://www.jayski.com/2019/06/06/in...er-a-longshot/

So.. Just thoughts on this. Personally, I'm against screwing with tradition and The Coke 600 is tradition.

But.. You do have to allow that if it would make things better, you must at least consider it.

So.. What would you think about moving the Coke 600.. Let's say it's moved to the 4th of July.. Basically swaps dates with Indy next year.

The Indy 500 is run at its normal time, and the Brickyard 400 starts immediately afterwards. This would be tight.. It would be best if there were lights at the track, which I'm pretty sure Indy does NOT have. But I think.. Maybe you move the 500 up a bit.. It starts at noon or something.. Maybe even 11am local time. That still could be tight, pending on weather and the like

But.. What say you? The advantages of this.. It REALLY opens up the ability to do the double. No more shuttling, hoping the first race ends with enough time for you to start the 600.

It keeps the prestige of the 600 by moving it to another day, but still a holiday.. Keeps a 'crown jewel' race on July 4th.

But, it also takes away the '1100 miles of racing' for the double.. It'd be 900-ish at best.

Would most certainly help attendance at the Brickyard 400. Be a long day for racing fans at the track, though.

I'm certainly not saying this is a good idea.. Just.. I'm not totally discounting it, either.. What do you all think? It's interesting at least. May not be feasible, maybe some problems i'm not thinking of..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 09:09 AM

290 posts, read 217,093 times
Interesting thought...

I'm not sure the open-wheel crowd at the 500 would crossover to watch the stock cars. They are two different crowds if you ask me.

Possibly more importantly - I'm not sure the pits and garages could be reconfigured from one series to the next in the required time period. Besides all the team's equipment (spare parts, tires, tools, war wagons, communication gear) the fuel and refueling procedures are completely different. The tire providers would also have to support two completely different types of wheels and tire sizes and compounds. Lastly, lighting the "squared oval" would be a huge expense for one night a year. Humpy did it at Charlotte, but it's only 1.6 miles (compared to 2.5 at Indy, a 56% increase) and they have lots of night races at Charlotte. And one final thought: the track would be really unpredictable for the stock cars after the Indy cars lay down 500 miles of rubber. Usually the accumulated rubber from one series does not help the handling of a different series. The two compounds do not build off one another.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 AM

17,803 posts, read 15,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Interesting thought...

I'm not sure the open-wheel crowd at the 500 would crossover to watch the stock cars. They are two different crowds if you ask me.

Possibly more importantly - I'm not sure the pits and garages could be reconfigured from one series to the next in the required time period. Besides all the team's equipment (spare parts, tires, tools, war wagons, communication gear) the fuel and refueling procedures are completely different. The tire providers would also have to support two completely different types of wheels and tire sizes and compounds. Lastly, lighting the "squared oval" would be a huge expense for one night a year. Humpy did it at Charlotte, but it's only 1.6 miles (compared to 2.5 at Indy, a 56% increase) and they have lots of night races at Charlotte. And one final thought: the track would be really unpredictable for the stock cars after the Indy cars lay down 500 miles of rubber. Usually the accumulated rubber from one series does not help the handling of a different series. The two compounds do not build off one another.

I'm certainly not advocating the idea, just.. Discussion. To your points.. I'd say.. Lighting BRINGS night racing. Moreso in Charlotte, I agree because there's a big difference in sitting and watching a race in say July in the middle of the day vs at night. But I look at that as a "if you build it, they will come" thing. And Indy doesn't exactly have mild summers. Of course, more things happen at IRP vs the speedway itself.

Pits would be.. Difficult. At most you'd have an hour scheduled between races.

Tires.. Disagree with that. Two different manufacturers.. This just wouldn't be a problem. Even if it were one manufacturer.

Different rubber on the track.. To me, that'd be interesting. Don't really see it as a problem right now, though, there is potential for that to be an issue.

I do agree that there are two different crowds. But, would Indy cars gain some fans from NASCAR and vice versa? I think so. Most race fans are just that. Race fans. We pick a series, and I think many of us gravitated towards NASCAR for several reasons, personalities being a main reason, and the cars looking at least somewhat like what we drive.. But.. I enjoy watching Indycar as well.

The real deal killer here is just time. It would be VERY difficult to get two races in at the same track on the same day if everything went perfectly. Short of starting at 9am or shortening races.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:52 PM

5,292 posts, read 6,262,369 times
At least they are trying to come up with different scenarios to try to stem the loss of interest.

NASCAR expanded during a very robust time for its series and it makes sense but once they shorten the season or merge there is no going back. This old man thinks racing as we knew it will never return to its heyday. Whether NASCAR can develop a racing season that captures the fans attention and help the sport remain relevant remains to be seen.

The internet, cell phones, social media and the proliferation of Apps have brought about so many socio-economic changes to our everyday lives.

Oh how I miss those Sunday nights catching up with Dave Despain

Old 06-14-2019, 06:05 PM

8,623 posts, read 15,042,123 times
The only thing holding the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400 on the same day/weekend will do is shine a bright spotlight on how truly awful the Brickyard 400 is as a race. The worst Indy 500 is significantly more entertaining than the typical Brickyard 400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing