Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:48 PM

167 posts, read 126,021 times

Advertisements

Last year and this year were the first times I watched NASCAR races. Rooting for Joey Logano because people seem to dislike him. Also he's so funny when he wins the race, he tries so hard to sell Cola! All winners drink something to show off those sponsors, but Logano exaggerates it so much, he's like a Cola minister!

I've read a few great articles over the last few years about NASCAR history, and how people feel it's lost something. Also I read that attendance / ratings have declined significantly over the last 10 years, since before the economic crisis. So I guess I'm a little late to the show. Still, I'm enjoying it so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,578,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Bill changed the cars. "Ford is at a disadvantage so they get a bigger spoiler.." "Pontiac needs more front downforce so give them a lower front air dam.." That kind of thing.

He didn't change the BASE rules very much at all. I think he implemented the points system that was in use his entire term.. Only real tweak to it was making sure the winner of the race got the most points.

He turned things over to Helton well before he died. So.. Helton and Brian France are really, IMO, the two to blame.
I consider those rule changes since the cars were required to use templates and specs. To me it's the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Wasn't Jr still using the open face helmet at short tracks? Those were the last 2 hold outs as I remember. Back in his frosted tips days. haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He did in the Busch series days.. But I thought he switched over when he went to Cup.. Of course.. That's really only a year that he was in Cup before the closed helmet was required.

You are correct, though.. While I can't confirm the timing, I've also seen him wearing an open face helmet in the past.
I think Jr drove open face when first driving in the Cup but had already switched before Sr's death.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,405,959 times
Unfortunately unlike the stick and ball sports the NASCAR playoff system is not putting more people in the seats.

I don't know if NASCAR is losing it's soul but it sure is losing it's fans.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:09 AM

5,247 posts, read 6,172,859 times
I loved reading this entire thread and it would be too exhausting responding in depth in order to give my opinion................so here is a wicked abbreviated one.

1. Technology and innovation are suffocating NASCAR. Electronic cameras or laser detection on pit lane, track surfaces that adhere the rubber form the tires, different tracks striping the tires, down force, measuring cars with lasers, the cars being so fragile.

2. Form a few focus groups in each part of the US with different age groups. Find out what is wrong. Ten years ago my apprentices and co workers were always talking about NASCAR, now it is college football and then NFL in that order. Fantasy leagues and football pools are what they are all keyed up about.

3. Today's generation does not have the attention span to watch 35 plus cars for several hours listening to the announcers talk about sun in the drivers eyes, changing grip conditions because the track surface does or does not heat up or cool down to keep the rubber on the track or take it off.........and the constant dribble, waiting for the big one.

Just my two cents from seeing all the empty seats and lack of interest of those around me in the age group from 21-40 years old.

One more note......I am a regular at our local Cars and Coffee here in Jacksonvile that is quite large and the younger guys are mostly driving the European cars and the mid fifty to late sixtys group are all sporting brand new Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, and a lot of Vettes. Not a lot of young guys. The interest the younger generation has in cars is changing.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 10-22-2016 at 06:21 AM..

Old 10-22-2016, 06:43 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I loved reading this entire thread and it would be too exhausting responding in depth in order to give my opinion................so here is a wicked abbreviated one.

1. Technology and innovation are suffocating NASCAR. Electronic cameras or laser detection on pit lane, track surfaces that adhere the rubber form the tires, different tracks striping the tires, down force, measuring cars with lasers, the cars being so fragile.

2. Form a few focus groups in each part of the US with different age groups. Find out what is wrong. Ten years ago my apprentices and co workers were always talking about NASCAR, now it is college football and then NFL in that order. Fantasy leagues and football pools are what they are all keyed up about.

3. Today's generation does not have the attention span to watch 35 plus cars for several hours listening to the announcers talk about sun in the drivers eyes, changing grip conditions because the track surface does or does not heat up or cool down to keep the rubber on the track or take it off.........and the constant dribble, waiting for the big one.

Just my two cents from seeing all the empty seats and lack of interest of those around me in the age group from 21-40 years old.

One more note......I am a regular at our local Cars and Coffee here in Jacksonvile that is quite large and the younger guys are mostly driving the European cars and the mid fifty to late sixtys group are all sporting brand new Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, and a lot of Vettes. Not a lot of young guys. The interest the younger generation has in cars is changing.
Pretty sure the experiment of trying to make NASCAR a national sport is failing. IMO it is still a regional East Coast sport but predominately in the South.

I am only 100 miles away from three active NASCAR Cup tracks but because of the ever increasing costs of a ticket I only attend one race a season.

I have been attending NASCAR races since 1956 and to me they are still exciting but I have grown up attending races.
My adult sons have no interest even though I introduced them to NASCAR years back.

NFN but my experience is that the serious race fans if there is a choice between a car show and a track event, are at the track. (there are always exceptions)

Old 10-22-2016, 05:09 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,400,221 times
Quote:
Is NASCAR losing it's soul?
Not really, for me anyways.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,648 times
If Nascar could convince Lewis Hamilton to join them, the increase in the Sports fans is guaranteed, but that won't happen. Nascar won't get more attention, not at all if the sport doesn't achieve the international level of Formula1.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:47 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by databuild View Post
If Nascar could convince Lewis Hamilton to join them, the increase in the Sports fans is guaranteed, but that won't happen. Nascar won't get more attention, not at all if the sport doesn't achieve the international level of Formula1.
Do you mean like the international attention that soccer has over other stick and ball sports.

Sorry but F1 drivers will not make any difference in NASCAR popularity. It's already been tried.

F1 has it's legion of American fans and that's good for F1 but it will never be as popular as NASCAR who's fans prefer fender to fender racing instead of displays of high technology.

I enjoy F1 on occasion and if the racing ever comes down to more than which front row starter is going to win I might became a regular fan.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:22 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,660,661 times
I'm not the biggest NASCAR fan but I did watch it in the late 90's pretty consistently. What I think hurts it is the lack of personality behind the wheel. I pretty much quit watching when Jimmy Johnson won all of the time (boy does that dude need an injection of personality). I also hate the new points system. Can't figure it out and don't care to. Also like someone pointed out, races are too long and you lose interest halfway through. I think the sport is in serious trouble.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:27 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I'm not the biggest NASCAR fan but I did watch it in the late 90's pretty consistently. What I think hurts it is the lack of personality behind the wheel. I pretty much quit watching when Jimmy Johnson won all of the time (boy does that dude need an injection of personality). I also hate the new points system. Can't figure it out and don't care to. Also like someone pointed out, races are too long and you lose interest halfway through. I think the sport is in serious trouble.
Points, as far as race by race are far simpler now than they were..

You finish 40th, you get 1 point.

You win, you get 40 points, plus 3 bonus points for the win

Then there's a single bonus point available for leading the most laps and a single point for leading the most laps

Now, take that back to the 'old' points system.. 175 points for winning on a sliding scale down to 34 points for a 43rd place finish. Drop by 5 points per position from 1st to 10th or so, then 4 points per position to 25th or so, then 3 points per position down to 43rd.

then 5 bonus points for leading a lap and 5 for leading the most.

The whole 'chase' scenario.. Ok.. That's more confusing.. But individual race points are FAR simpler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing