Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:37 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

I can't even get excited about the new American F1 team, which is actually a European F1 team that just happens to be owned by an American.
Design and CFD work happens in Kannapolis, NC, though.

The UK base is needed because most of the season is spent around Europe. Logistically it would be a nightmare and a waste of resources to base the racing squad in the US of A.

Hopefully they add an American driver at some point, but it has to be on merit and not on nationality. As much as I like Rossi it took him 3 seasons to be competitive in GP2, and he was trashed by Gutierrez when they were GP3 teammates. He is doing great on Indy Car ovals, but not so much on street and permanent tracks. One will come, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 03:08 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Design and CFD work happens in Kannapolis, NC, though.
....that's what they say.....of course Kannapolis had nothing to do with the engine, transmission, drive train and suspension components which came from Ferrari. Maybe they can claim they helped Dallara the supplier of the rest of the chassis.

And then the wind tunnel work was also done in Italy at Ferrari.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:10 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
....that's what they say.....of course Kannapolis had nothing to do with the engine, transmission, drive train and suspension components which came from Ferrari. Maybe they can claim they helped Dallara the supplier of the rest of the chassis.

And then the wind tunnel work was also done in Italy at Ferrari.
McLaren, Red Bull, Force India, Sauber, et al also have engines/power trains sourced elsewhere, does that make them lesser teams? Until Mercedes reentered the fray it seems Ferrari was the only team that did everything 'in house'.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
McLaren, Red Bull, Force India, Sauber, et al also have engines/power trains sourced elsewhere, does that make them lesser teams? Until Mercedes reentered the fray it seems Ferrari was the only team that did everything 'in house'.
I didn't say it made Haas a lesser team.

Actually, the Mercedes F1 car is not made in-house in Germany. It is made in England, including the engine/power unit which is a product of Ilmor Engineering in Brixworth, a long time designer and producer of racing engines, which was bought by Mercedes and renamed.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:19 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...om-formula-one

Looks like Massa is hanging up his F1 shoes. Pretty solid career.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:56 AM

281 posts, read 327,252 times
Quote:
The first lap incident could certainly be labeled 'racing' but I thought the block Max put on Kimi later on in the race was uncalled for, probably a little too regulated these days but in the 'good ol' days' I wouldn't have been surprised if Max was invited out for a little attitude adjustment.

I agree. Jacques Villeneuve made a comment along the lines of if that happened during his era that Max would be requiring major dental surgery after pulling a stunt like that.

He was promoted too soon. He should have had a season in GP2 where if he pulled stuff like that he'd be in the barrier. He needs his punk @ss taken behind the proverbial woodshed... He's a dirty driver. Kimi is a man of few words. When he talks, you really should listen.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it made Haas a lesser team.

Actually, the Mercedes F1 car is not made in-house in Germany. It is made in England, including the engine/power unit which is a product of Ilmor Engineering in Brixworth, a long time designer and producer of racing engines, which was bought by Mercedes and renamed.
And let's not forget the Mercedes reentry to F1 came about by their purchase of Brawn, which came from Honda or that the current Renault chassis came from Lotus. Lots of tangled DNA helices in F1, no sense reinventing the wheel if it's not necessary.

Now, if only the rules would go back to the time when creativity was more encouraged, I do miss the days of 'outside the box' thinking like the 6 wheel Tyrrell, Lotus 79, Lotus 88, Alfa fan-car etc. I'd love to see a return to things like number of cylinders and redlines being unrestricted by regulation.

I know development costs can really work against the smaller teams and they're very much needed in the series. Personally, I'd like to see the ERS eliminated and more aero restrictions that would place less emphasis on 24/7 costly wind tunnel time.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM

281 posts, read 327,252 times
Quote:
And let's not forget the Mercedes reentry to F1 came about by their purchase of Brawn, which came from Honda

Which before that was BAR and before that was Tyrrell. I miss Tyrrell.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
So, F1 has been officially acquired by Liberty Media. I think it's good news, media options should get better and they will want to grow the US market (and they know more about how than CVC Partners, that was just a private equity firm).

We'll see, I think it could be good news for the sport.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Which before that was BAR and before that was Tyrrell. I miss Tyrrell.

Me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing