Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:22 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You could be right maybe it was Bill Jr that started the down fall of NASCAR and Brian is just carrying on.

Bill Sr was the only real racer in the family.

The Alliance has to stop the tyranny or NASCAR will turn into F1 for sedans with only one team winning the majority of races.
I started following NASCAR when Jr. was at the helm, Sr was long gone by then.
I think it will depend on how the foundation is laid. If the attitude(s) is going to be like the one of Bruton Smith that I have read I foresee much trouble.
I do like the fact that top tier teams are in this union otherwise any field filler, start/park, also ran teams would get hassled by NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I started following NASCAR when Jr. was at the helm, Sr was long gone by then.
I think it will depend on how the foundation is laid. If the attitude(s) is going to be like the one of Bruton Smith that I have read I foresee much trouble.
I do like the fact that top tier teams are in this union otherwise any field filler, start/park, also ran teams would get hassled by NASCAR.
Think about this. Since NASCAR was formed back in the late 40's or early 50's the only family in NASCAR to become billionaires due to racing is the France family and they did it without owning any race cars or winning any races. Same goes for Bruton Smith.
I don't understand how it took so long for the car owners to figure out that the only people profiting from racing were the track owners and promoters. The team owners own all the cars, spend all the money to conform to some of NASCAR's arbitrary rule changes and at the end of the day NASCAR gets a bigger piece of the pie.

The owners are not calling it a union but that's just what the alliance is and since NASCAR is a southern derived sport I am sure many southerns who are anti union are not happy with that.

Back in the 60's Petty tried to form a union and Bill France was able to bust that but the owners today are much more powerful than they were back then and Brian France will lose if he tries to bust this group. Penske or Roush or Hendrick alone are bigger corps than NASCAR and can dictate how NASCAR is run if they wanted to. I don't think they want to do that they just want a bigger say in how much money they get from NASCAR and how they are forced to spend that money.

Hopefully better days are coming.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:24 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Do team owners support the latest ridiculous rules?
What choice do they have? It's play with France's rules that completely change annually.....sometimes weekly, daily, and monthly or not race. They've got millions invested so walking away isn't really an option.

I'm really hoping they can make some changes because honestly the racing sucks with the current rules. The 2 pack of cars that have been riding around Daytona and Talladega the last few years was a yawn fest. I'm even missing the good racing that used to happen at Charlotte. Pocono always had that 150 lap stretch where you could go get some food and drinks and have a little nap and miss nothing. It's a bit better with the shorter race, but it still needs help.

I truly believe NASCAR has peaked on tv. The racing isn't spectacular and it is not the fault of the drivers, the teams, or the owners. Yeah, there was this ridiculous hype because of the change to the Chase. Ridiculous thing the Chase is. Still don't like it. Probably never will. And I like Harvick. I'm glad he finally got a championship. And I know with the 800 various point systems over the years it wouldn't have been his, but we don't know how differently the guys would have driven in different circumstances.

Funny how I still call them all guys even though Danica's around. She going to do anything with a car before she gets booted? She didn't do squat in Indy and so far has do even less in NASCAR besides Super Bowl commercials.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What choice do they have? It's play with France's rules that completely change annually.....sometimes weekly, daily, and monthly or not race. They've got millions invested so walking away isn't really an option.

I'm really hoping they can make some changes because honestly the racing sucks with the current rules. The 2 pack of cars that have been riding around Daytona and Talladega the last few years was a yawn fest. I'm even missing the good racing that used to happen at Charlotte. Pocono always had that 150 lap stretch where you could go get some food and drinks and have a little nap and miss nothing. It's a bit better with the shorter race, but it still needs help.

I truly believe NASCAR has peaked on tv. The racing isn't spectacular and it is not the fault of the drivers, the teams, or the owners. Yeah, there was this ridiculous hype because of the change to the Chase. Ridiculous thing the Chase is. Still don't like it. Probably never will. And I like Harvick. I'm glad he finally got a championship. And I know with the 800 various point systems over the years it wouldn't have been his, but we don't know how differently the guys would have driven in different circumstances.

Funny how I still call them all guys even though Danica's around. She going to do anything with a car before she gets booted? She didn't do squat in Indy and so far has do even less in NASCAR besides Super Bowl commercials.
I agree with everything you said.

As for Danika... well, she DOES hold the distinct title of "CHOPPED CHAMPION" and that is a title that no other NASCAR driving has.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I agree with everything you said.

As for Danika... well, she DOES hold the distinct title of "CHOPPED CHAMPION" and that is a title that no other NASCAR driving has.
ROFL......OMG I need a smiley peeing his pants laughing. Well, at least she finished something! About time! I can't even really give her an Indy win. She was supposed to save the world over there. And look where she is now. I seriously hope Gene has some sense and sends her packing if she isn't winning next season. There are 3 champions on the team. No excuse not to win when everyone else has.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:

If the fans keep going away and bashing the point system, it won't be long before the owners do something IF France don't fix things. If I was a ranking officer at the RTA, I would pull a Dega '69 at the Glen and close up the trailers and drive off, even the associated Nationwide teams (Gibbs, Roush, Childress and even JR Motorsports) if the carousel turn (turn 5) isn't fixed because that is what the fifth straight year of an egregious wreck out of that turn and into the short chute that comes out of the owner's pockets that should have been fixed after the Hornish-Gordon. If the RTA pulls that, they now have bargaining power and unlike Dega 69, there's no chip that can be used to keep fans from returning their tickets because the other tracks near it are NOT ISC tracks (Big Bill France used free tickets to Daytona to make the first Dega race a success despite the Pettys, Allisons and Leroy leaving.)

The problem with Brian (France) is he thinks he is his grandpa who had the respect of the fans and the drivers even despite the tire issues at the first Dega race. He doesn't and the new chase is an example of it. MANY Facebook comments about an article where Jeff Hammond said the new chase is fine, said he was a shill and the chase is a bad idea. Yet, Brian claims he made the new chase based on the fans. I am yet to see fans who like that Alimrola and Allmendinger got into the chase for winning fluke races. Alimorla won a rain-shortened Firecracker 400 and Allmendinger won the Glen race.

Quote:
Danica is free money to Stewart-Haas. She may not perform but it's a sponsorship. Other drivers have a hard time getting sponsors. Just ask Jack Roush who has let three of his best drivers (Mcmurray, Kenseth and now Edwards) go because the "sponsors" wouldn't give them a good enough deal to keep them on. Mcmurray was the 5th team but based on Ragan's performance in Roush equipment after that season compared to Big Mac, it was a boner keeping Ragan over Mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing