Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,424,688 times

Advertisements

In case nobody has noticed Hendrick Motorsports has been dominating NASCAR the last 10-15 years with the biggest sponsors and the best drivers.
Good for Hendrick but not good for the other teams or the sport. Attendance is down because who wants to go to the track to see which Hendrick driver is going to win.
As long as Hendricks keeps winning he will attract the best sponsors and the best drivers will want to drive for him.
Good for Hendrick but not good for the other teams.

Anybody remember when George Steinbrenner bought up most of the great Baseball players with his outspending the other guy tactics. Compete domination of the other teams. The only difference is Steinbrenner had to spend his own money because there are no team sponsors to buy the best players.
Baseball put spending caps on teams and Steinbrenner's Yankees and Yankee domination went away.

In NASCAR there are plenty of sponsors who want to jump on the winning team and since Hendrick has the winning team he gets all the best sponsors.
When the announcers say that team has Hendrick power they are not talking about engine horsepower, they mean Hendrick corporate power.

NASCAR needs team spending limits so that NASCAR does not turn into another F1 series where only the billion dollar teams can win. It may be too late based on attendance numbers.
I stopped attending and spending my money at the track and now only watch on TV. Why should I spend $200 at the track to watch Hendrick power dominate?
Good for Hendrick, not good for the sport.

There will never be parity in NASCAR but spending is out of control.

BTW just learned that NAPA might be going to Hendrick,GREAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,677,723 times
I must have missed the memo about the Baseball Cap????

I get your point about spending and Hendrick dominating but i don't think its Hendrick as much as it is the big 3.
Hendrick
Gibbs
Roush

The point is that Hendrick doesn't win any more races than Gibbs does and over the past 10 or so years hasn't won many more than Gibbs or Roush. Hendrick has won more Championships but that's just a Lowes team dominance more so than Hendrick dominance.

I am not sure how you can limit Sponsorhip money or tell sponsors you can't give your money to Hendrick, you have to give it to Tommy Baldwin.. how do you do that? Seems like you would be chasing away sponsors that way.

I think the only way to balance that is to do away with Team Sponsors. You don't see Team sponsors in the other big 4 National Sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). You have league sponsors, you have stadium sponsors but not TEAM sponsors like you have in NASCAR. It is my understanding that NASCAR can't survive without sponsorship so how do you control that and keep sponsorship $$$ equal across all 43 or more teams??

I would love to see more balanced competition in Sprint Cup. It would be nice to turn on a race and know that any one of the 43 cars could win.. as it is today, only 10 to 15 cars have a real shot at winning. The others are just track decorations..

Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I must have missed the memo about the Baseball Cap????

I get your point about spending and Hendrick dominating but i don't think its Hendrick as much as it is the big 3.
Hendrick
Gibbs
Roush

The point is that Hendrick doesn't win any more races than Gibbs does and over the past 10 or so years hasn't won many more than Gibbs or Roush. Hendrick has won more Championships but that's just a Lowes team dominance more so than Hendrick dominance.

I am not sure how you can limit Sponsorhip money or tell sponsors you can't give your money to Hendrick, you have to give it to Tommy Baldwin.. how do you do that? Seems like you would be chasing away sponsors that way.

I think the only way to balance that is to do away with Team Sponsors. You don't see Team sponsors in the other big 4 National Sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). You have league sponsors, you have stadium sponsors but not TEAM sponsors like you have in NASCAR. It is my understanding that NASCAR can't survive without sponsorship so how do you control that and keep sponsorship $$$ equal across all 43 or more teams??

I would love to see more balanced competition in Sprint Cup. It would be nice to turn on a race and know that any one of the 43 cars could win.. as it is today, only 10 to 15 cars have a real shot at winning. The others are just track decorations..
Of course you can't tell a business who you can support but you can put limits on how much they contribute.
I know it's always been those who spend the most go the fastest but IMO spending is out of control.
The teams are spending more and more money and the stands keep getting more and more empty.
I used to go the Charlotte, Darlington, Martinsville. every cup race every year. Now I go to none.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,940,673 times
Next thing you know, people are going to start want profit-sharing from t-shirt sales to benefit the smaller teams.

This ain't kids sports. Everyone doesn't get a trophy. If you want to win, work harder!

Look at the 78 team this year. They had a top 10 for the year with a bunch of Top 5 finishes. Sure, they have support from a larger team, but I'm sure it wasn't a handout.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 AM

78 is a good example of a smaller team getting a top driver and performing above their means. The problem is what happens next year to the 78. They are not gonna get a top driver next year so.. does anyone expect them to make the chase again.. I don't. I think they probably have learned a few things this year that they can hopefully use to their benefit next year but I just don't see them finishing that well..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM

All you have now is a spending war in NASCAR with the biggest spender Hendrick winning the war.
As long as unlimited spending is allowed he will continue to be the biggest cheater, uhh I mean winner.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,968,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
78 is a good example of a smaller team getting a top driver and performing above their means. The problem is what happens next year to the 78. They are not gonna get a top driver next year so.. does anyone expect them to make the chase again.. I don't. I think they probably have learned a few things this year that they can hopefully use to their benefit next year but I just don't see them finishing that well..
Martin Truex isn't a bad driver and they still have the RCR technological alliance.

I for one cannot compare NASCAR (or any motorsport) to stick and ball sports because quite frankly they are different animals. To compare them is rather foolish because their set-ups are pretty different.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 AM

9,572 posts, read 9,883,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
All you have now is a spending war in NASCAR with the biggest spender Hendrick winning the war.
As long as unlimited spending is allowed he will continue to be the biggest cheater, uhh I mean winner.
You still crying about Hendrick?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 AM

78 got Truex?! .. i should have remembered that.. old age.
Yea, I like Truex a lot. He simply has not been with any of the big 3 teams to see how really good he is.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,897,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
You still crying about Hendrick?
Sad, ain't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing