Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,904,188 times

Advertisements

Who's your pick?

I say Hamlin folds under the pressure and Harvick comes up a few points short, leaving you know who...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,596,800 times
The top 6 will DNF the remaining races allowing #14 to overcome a 300+ point deficit.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,915,883 times
What's that sound??? You hear that?...that's the final nail being driven into NASCAR's coffin.

Who wants to venture guesses on the drop in attendance and TV ratings for next season?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,094,243 times
I kinda like this season! I mean it would've been better if Shrub hadn't had a bipolar driver take him out , and a blown engine in back to back chase races.........but it's been a good racing season IMO.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,904,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
What's that sound??? You hear that?...that's the final nail being driven into NASCAR's coffin.

Who wants to venture guesses on the drop in attendance and TV ratings for next season?
You remind me of the Randy Quaid character in the movie Major League. You know, the one who is always preaching gloom and doom and never has anything positive to say.

I know. If I don't like it, I don't have to read your posts. I just keep thinking that maybe someday you'll have something good to say about NASCAR. Or anything.

On the other hand if it disgusts you to the point that all you want to do is gripe about it, then why do you continue to watch? Are you waiting for the good old days to return? Ain't gonna happen.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You remind me of the Randy Quaid character in the movie Major League. You know, the one who is always preaching gloom and doom and never has anything positive to say.

I know. If I don't like it, I don't have to read your posts. I just keep thinking that maybe someday you'll have something good to say about NASCAR. Or anything.

On the other hand if it disgusts you to the point that all you want to do is gripe about it, then why do you continue to watch? Are you waiting for the good old days to return? Ain't gonna happen.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

LMAO! I love the analogy!!
I have made a similar statement & wonder the same thing. Kind of like one of those paranoids who waste their life preparing for the end of the world that isn't going to happen.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
LMAO! I love the analogy!!
I have made a similar statement & wonder the same thing. Kind of like one of those paranoids who waste their life preparing for the end of the world that isn't going to happen.

So you are denying drops in attendance and TV ratings? Are all the empty seats a mirage? Is that just being "paranoid"?

BTW, the NASCAR Hall of Fame is doing lousy as well. NASCAR Hall of Fame looks for attendance answers | Charlotte Business Journal

I just want to know how long NASCAR plans on playing the "it's the economy" card before they realize that it's the product and/or the Chase that is hurting their cause. Oh and the same winner over and over and over and over.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
So you are denying drops in attendance and TV ratings? Are all the empty seats a mirage? Is that just being "paranoid"?

BTW, the NASCAR Hall of Fame is doing lousy as well. NASCAR Hall of Fame looks for attendance answers | Charlotte Business Journal

I just want to know how long NASCAR plans on playing the "it's the economy" card before they realize that it's the product and/or the Chase that is hurting their cause. Oh and the same winner over and over and over and over.
I'm not denying anything, I'm just not going around with the proverbial "The End is Near" sign as you always do. "Nail in the coffin", "Final nail in the coffin," blah, blah, blah. Seriously, why don't you just quit watching?
I feel the same as you do about other sports. Guess what? I don't watch them.

Here's a few things I recognize, understand, & opine about NASCAR:
  • Richard Petty won 200 races, 7 championships. Call that parity?
  • Pearson: 100+ victories, part time. Call that parity?
  • Cale Yarborough: 3 straight championships. Call that parity?
  • Earnhardt Sr: 7 championships.
  • Jeff Gordon set a record 13 win season. Call that parity?
  • Naysayers always talk about the good ol' days. What's so great about double digit/multi-lap victories?
  • Naysayers reminisce about the good ol' days as if there were passing on every lap.
  • No matter the rules there will always be a handful of dominant teams/drivers.
  • The only fight people can recall is the 79 Daytona 500.
  • The current car is the result of 50 yrs of bitching & whining by teams over what make had what kind of aero advantage. When was the last time you heard that complaint?
  • NASCAR isn't the sole owner of greed. They didn't force teams to solicit big time sponsors, the teams sought them out. Thank #43 for pioneering that one.
  • Occasionally an underfunded team can have a good day.
  • NASCAR is continuous action, just because they aren't passing or wrecking every lap doesn't mean there is no action.
  • NASCAR built too many tracks too quickly
  • NASCAR's popularity is past peak. I don't have a problem with that, it's the natural order of things.
  • If the Cup series is so horrible & boring why don't more people go to the truck & Nationwide races?
  • Why are local tracks going under if saturday night racing & fighting is so great?
  • I think there are too many races.
  • NASCAR still sells more tickets than other venues.
  • I don't spend my Sundays watching NASCAR anymore, or any other sport for that matter.
  • To say someone outside of NASCAR's region couldn't be as big of fan as someone from the southeast is just assinine.
  • Just like the modern automobile, technology has made stock cars safer, & more reliable.
  • I still love the sport.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 PM

I agree with most of your list, especially the building of too many tracks and too many races. So if the on track action is the same, that narrows it down to:

The drivers are corporate pansies who are way out of touch with the common fan
Prices for tickets and merchandise got/getting WAY out of hand
The cars are all the same with different stickers
NASCAR running off sponsors who helped build the sport
The Chase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing