Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,165,297 times

Advertisements

Amusing, the Cook Islands has bought this law in for people wanting to go and live in the Cook Islands.
If we ever want to drop the immigration numbers we could pass a law stating that immigrants to NZ must have a working knowledge of both English and Reo.(Maori)

Be tough on the Brits and North Americans, Europeans who speak more than one language would find it easier to pick up.
Australians, hmm, they barely manage English of a sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,739,891 times
You would definitely get rid of British and American migrants with such draconian laws.
Australians, well, the disparity between the number of Kiwis that come here and how many Aussies go to NZ to live, is so spectacularly in favour of the former, that any such law would see NZ's population growth go into the negative zone.
"That is fantastic", I am trying to utter in my best Kiwi accent.
Can't see it ever happening however.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM

758 posts, read 2,245,848 times
How many kiwis themselves have a working knowledge of Maori? And... are NorthAmerican and British migrants really a sizeable percentage of the in migration to that country? Are they a controversial topic in society? That'd be hilarious if it was.

Send me a link to an article that says, "Canadian and American imigrants to NZ heavy burden on social system. Government to institute language laws to deterr them from coming." I will laugh my ass off.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:54 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,165,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
You would definitely get rid of British and American migrants with such draconian laws.
Australians, well, the disparity between the number of Kiwis that come here and how many Aussies go to NZ to live, is so spectacularly in favour of the former, that any such law would see NZ's population growth go into the negative zone.
"That is fantastic", I am trying to utter in my best Kiwi accent.
Can't see it ever happening however.
Draconian law, nope a draconian law would be asking North Americans to explain the LBW law.
Even the Umps got it wrong at times when I was bowling and asked in a reasonable tone if some stick wielder was plumb

Old 11-12-2009, 04:02 PM

790 posts, read 1,736,226 times
Quote:
Australians, hmm, they barely manage English of a sort.
And yet they tend to know the difference between brought and bought.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,060,286 times
Well any immigrant that lands in jail should find a knowledge of Reo useful. Maoris make up a whopping 50% of male inmates and 70% of female inmates. What is shocking is they only constitute 15% of the population. Instead of whinging about immigrants one should channel that energy finding solutions to the problem of why maoris make up such a large percentage of the prison population and have lower incomes than pakehas (20% less).

Also, people should understand that NZ needs immigrants. Without it, its population would decline and there would be no workers to support social services. This would cause inflationary pressures on wages in a country with wages that are already much lower than Oz. This would encourage even increased migration to Australia and NZ companies would be begging for immigrants.

Last edited by minibrings; 11-12-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,339,442 times
What is "whinging"? I see that word a lot on this forum. I first I thought it was a common misspelling of "whining" but now I'm wondering if it's Australian/Kiwi slang for something else?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,770,841 times
What you are seeing is a lot of nzrugby whining and complaining and spouting anti immigrant rhetoric.

Not all New Zealanders are as narrow minded and bitter as he appears to be.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,060,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
What you are seeing is a lot of nzrugby whining and complaining and spouting anti immigrant rhetoric.

Not all New Zealanders are as narrow minded and bitter as he appears to be.
Well to put a positive spin on this, be glad you aren't consumed by such negativity!
Being negative sucks the energy out of people.

Last edited by minibrings; 11-12-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,727,100 times
The percentage of maori New Zealanders that can actually fluently speak the maori language is only in the small single digits percentage wise of a population of 4 million. All the maori I have known don't have a working knowledge of it.

When 95% of the population doesn't speak the language I don't think they'll be signing a referendum to make immigrants speak two languages.

NZ is a country that can't afford to alienate the world. It is one of the most isolated countries in the world and it is imperative to have good trade and immigration links with the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand