Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,613,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Yikes. That is good to know. Did not see that mentioned on any travel sites. Thank you very much.
If you're going to the high rainfall zones like Milford and the Alps, February is better than late spring or January both for weather and less crowding. Away from them the hazards outside of bushed areas are not great. Rainfall is not high at any time of the year in most of the eastern zones, especially at low altitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,050 times
I recently came back from there. If you want to try hiking summer is the best period as there is more sunshine. If I were you I would try Fiordland National Park. Try to book on the MIlford Track at least 6 months in advance as it is the most demanding and popular hiking trail. If you can't get a spot there are other hiking trails that you can do which are really cool. I did not go on the Milford track yet went on a another hiking trail which I booked a day in advance. It was the Kepler track and it was a 3 day hike.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I recently came back from there. If you want to try hiking summer is the best period as there is more sunshine. If I were you I would try Fiordland National Park. Try to book on the MIlford Track at least 6 months in advance as it is the most demanding and popular hiking trail. If you can't get a spot there are other hiking trails that you can do which are really cool. I did not go on the Milford track yet went on a another hiking trail which I booked a day in advance. It was the Kepler track and it was a 3 day hike.
You're referring to the wet or mountain zones. Options (re seasons) are more varied in the drier areas in the east, where an itinerary could be constructed for any time of the year. For Fiordland or any of the wet zones, late summer or even early autumn is a better bet than early summer, though there are no guarantees. Right now (early summer) there has been a torrential rain event with trampers airlifted off the Milford Track.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You're referring to the wet or mountain zones. Options (re seasons) are more varied in the drier areas in the east, where an itinerary could be constructed for any time of the year. For Fiordland or any of the wet zones, late summer or even early autumn is a better bet than early summer, though there are no guarantees. Right now (early summer) there has been a torrential rain event with trampers airlifted off the Milford Track.
I went to Fiordland National Park in early December. The only day it rained was on the first day I was there and the rain was only light and it lasted for a few hours. I was in that region for 5 days. I was at both the wet and mountain zones. I wanted to go to Mildord Sound yet the road was closed due to large rocks have fallen on the road.

I did know someone that went on the Mildrod track just before I went to Fiordland National Park and she said it rained most of the time she was there.

Last edited by other99; 01-02-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I went to Fiordland National Park in early December. The only day it rained was on the first day I was there and the rain was only light and it lasted for a few hours. I was in that region for 5 days. I was at both the wet and mountain zones. I wanted to go to Mildord Sound yet the road was closed due to large rocks have fallen on the road.

I did know someone that went on the Mildrod track just before I went to Fiordland National Park and she said it rained most of the time she was there.
You were reasonbaly lucky. Odds are somewhat better in February. However, a goodly number do get through with just one day of precip. in a 4-day trek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand