Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,060 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm Brazilian, and I'm looking forward of doing a high school exchange in Australia... I`ve chosen some cities to make high school: Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

I`d like to live in a city:
- Coastal and sunny
- With at least 200,000 inhabitants
- With a great variety of outdoor activities
- With good schools
- With good surf (where i can take some surf lessons at the weekends or after school)
- With a country town style and with receptive people
- With good transportation facilities
- A "real Australian" city ( with just a few brazilians)

I'm thinking more of going to Adelaide or Sunshine Coast ( There are less brazilians... but i think that Sunshine Coast doesn't have much thing to do)
Please Help!!! I have to decide the city till' Jan. 22!!

Last edited by MatBCV; 01-14-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Sunshine Coast has a more 'country town' feel than the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is full of foreigners.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 PM

201 posts, read 416,526 times
Gold Coast is a mini-Miami and is not 'country town' in the least.
Country town style yet above 200k people is a difficult ask. Sunshine Coast seems a good idea, it's proximity to Brisbane also means you can pop down there to find things to do.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Gold Coast is a mini-Miami and is not 'country town' in the least.
Country town style yet above 200k people is a difficult ask. Sunshine Coast seems a good idea, it's proximity to Brisbane also means you can pop down there to find things to do.
The Sunshine Coast is a region that includes a grouping of towns and small cities north of Brisbane. Each town/city has it's own character. Maroochydore is the main hub, Caloundra has a more surf town feel to it, Noosa is like a seaside holiday resort, Beerwah further inland where Australia zoo is is still much like a typical Queensland town.

The Gold Coast is a strip of communities which basically just merge into one. High rises as far as the eye can see lining the beach.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 AM

51 posts, read 77,884 times
Any of the latter three, because they're all vitually the same place anyway (well, they're all different places, but within relatively easy reach of each other. You can catch a train between them all and see the whole coast during your stay). Brisbane and the Gold Coast are often referred to as 'BrisVegas'. The actual main strip of the Gold Coast is packed with tourists. Brisbane is not very beachy bu t it's a good city and a nice place to live. I'd probably choose a town on the Sunshine Coast (which is made up of many towns). In terms of what there is to do, it depends on the sort of things you like. I'd say any place you've chosen will have enough of the typical sorts of things teenagers like to spend their time doing. The Gold Coast has the added bonus of theme parks. The Sunshine Coast has Australia zoo, which is like a creepy Steve Irwin mausoleum.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Well, I really think that Sunshine Coast would be a great choice, it's beachy... Not too big ( the bigest city i've lived was a 200k city ) and there aren't many brazilians, but... I'm afraid that when I arrive there, I won't have a big sort of things to do in the region, like good places to hang out with friends, with my hostfamily, etc. Or am I wrong?
And thanks to everyone for answering me!!
I'm glad...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
I don't get it. You want a small town with lots of things to do. Where do these sort of places exist? Anywhere you go in Australia you'll struggle to find Brazilians.

Add me to the list of Sunshine Coast suggestions, it appears to best fit your criteria.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I don't get it. You want a small town with lots of things to do. Where do these sort of places exist? Anywhere you go in Australia you'll struggle to find Brazilians.

Add me to the list of Sunshine Coast suggestions, it appears to best fit your criteria.
It's not that want a small city... Is just like a calm city, whre the people aren't too stressed and where the people don't have a too busy, caring too much about work

Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatBCV View Post
I'm thinking more of going to Adelaide or Sunshine Coast ( There are less brazilians... but i think that Sunshine Coast doesn't have much thing to do)
If your high school is in the city, you won't need a car in Adelaide and will be able to get to the beach via trams and can navigate around the city fairly easily and cheaply. Either the gold coast or Adelaide will work for you. Adelaide is larger so there will be more things to do and does have cool free museums and restaurant districts and coffee shops. And very very few South Americans, they're there but you'll hve to look hard even though there is an Argentinian restaurant.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatBCV View Post
Well, I'm Brazilian, and I'm looking forward of doing a high school exchange in Australia... I`ve chosen some cities to make high school: Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

I`d like to live in a city:
- Coastal and sunny
ALL 3 LOCATIONS WORK

- With at least 200,000 inhabitants
AGAIN ALL 3

- With a great variety of outdoor activities
YES ALL 3
ADELAIDE - close to Kangaroo Island which is beautiful (do a google)

- With good schools
??

- With good surf (where i can take some surf lessons at the weekends or after school)
Queensland better but the waters off Adelaide are calmer so better for beginners.. but there are surf schools and people surf in Adelaide

- With a country town style and with receptive people
Brisbane more of a city. Adelaide many people call it a large country town. Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast someone can comment.

- With good transportation facilities
See wht I said above on Adelaide transporation.

- A "real Australian" city ( with just a few brazilians)
Depends on what you mean by a "real Australian" city. Whats a "real Brazilian" city?

All work. Not many South Americans, Mexicans or Central Americans in Australia. Before you leave Brasil eat as much fejioda completa and plantanos as you can as you won't find your food in Oz!

See responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand