Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,376 times

Advertisements

LOTS OF QUESTIONS......

Here is the story. We are a family of 10 (Mom, Dad, 8 young children). We are wanting a change. We are going to be selling our home and will have about $100,000 dollars to move and do whatever with. We also have a montly income of $2,200 that would follow us anywhere. Now, we are Christians, who homeschool, who want to farm or homestead. We are applying for the $1.00 a month farm house deal in Trundle, Australia. I know it's a long shot but I like to dream. If we were approved and got the green light to move there do you think we could pull it off? Now, we have never been to Australia, dont know much about it, and have actually never really been anywhere except the eastern part of the U.S. I would love the adventure of it all. I have heard wonderful things about the people there. Can anyone who knows anything about Trundle, or what we might expect if this happens can tell me anything, I would be gratefull. Also would our large family be accepted there? Are there many christians in Australia? Do I have to fear that my children will be bitten by killer snakes? Do kangaroos attack? My husband is a police officer here in the U.S., will he be able to possibly get a job in the same field in Australia? Thats enough for now.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,766,256 times
Good grief, do you realise how small Trundle is and how desolate?

I haven't been there but I lived 4 hours south of Trundle in Griffith. Americans are not particularly welcome in small places like that, just a warning.

I would do a whole lot of research if I was moving my entire family to a tiny place in another country.

I doubt whether an American cop can work in Australia, but you would have to contact the Police Recruitment there.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:17 AM

No, I know nothing about Trumble. Thank you for the information. It was just one of the many options we were considering, and this was forum was my first step in the research process.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,856,092 times
I found out on wikipedia they have a "bush tucker" festival every September,
with bush tucker cooking-contests and bush music. That sounds like fun.

^^ Desolate?
I couldn't imagine it being much more "remote" feeling than being on an average farm somewhere like Iowa.
Places like Bourke NSW, Birdville and Mt Isa QLD are a lot more remote than Trundle.

According to google-maps:
Trundle's "only" 418 km and 6 hours drive from Sydney's CBD. (day-tripable )
It's also 215 km and 3 hrs drive from Bathurst NSW; site of major auto races. (V8-Supercars?)

Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,887,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I couldn't imagine it being much more "remote" feeling than being on an average farm somewhere like Iowa.
Iowa isn't that desolate.. there are tons of smallish-mid-sized cities scattered throughout the state, and depending on where you are in IA you won't be very far (about 2 hrs. in many cases) from Chicago, Madison, Minneapolis, KC, St. Louis, etc.

I think you're thinking of the inland West, or most of Canada.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Iowa isn't that desolate.. there are tons of smallish-mid-sized cities scattered throughout the state, and depending on where you are in IA you won't be very far (about 2 hrs. in many cases) from Chicago, Madison, Minneapolis, KC, St. Louis, etc.

I think you're thinking of the inland West, or most of Canada.
That was my point.
Iowa isn't terribly far from big cities like Milwaukee and Chicago.
Trundle is 6 hours from the largest city in Australia, and 5 hours from their outskirts... hardly "beyond the black stump" imho

The town it self might have a lot of dull moments, but I think the $1/wk rental rate makes up for it.
Their modest income wouldn't by itself go far in Oz, but at those rental prices it would make living much easier.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,766,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That was my point.
Iowa isn't terribly far from big cities like Milwaukee and Chicago.
Trundle is 6 hours from the largest city in Australia, and 5 hours from their outskirts... hardly "beyond the black stump" imho

The town it self might have a lot of dull moments, but I think the $1/wk rental rate makes up for it.
Their modest income wouldn't by itself go far in Oz, but at those rental prices it would make living much easier.
A 6 hour drive to Sydney is not a day trip that's for sure.

Living in remote places in Australia feels remote. I lived in Griffith which is a town of 24,000, nearest largish city was Wagga Wagga and it felt small and isolated compared with what I was used to in New Zealand.

Those very small townships in Australia are extremely clique and unwelcoming.

While I enjoyed Australia a lot and felt it had plenty to offer, I would never move to a tiny town there, especially not as a large family of christians from America.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:58 PM

Ok, you all talked me out of it. I'll just find a nice little country place here in the good ol US. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
A 6 hour drive to Sydney is not a day trip that's for sure.

Living in remote places in Australia feels remote. I lived in Griffith which is a town of 24,000, nearest largish city was Wagga Wagga and it felt small and isolated compared with what I was used to in New Zealand.

Those very small townships in Australia are extremely clique and unwelcoming.

While I enjoyed Australia a lot and felt it had plenty to offer, I would never move to a tiny town there, especially not as a large family of christians from America.
With two drivers it'd be an easy day trip.
Leave at the crack of dawn while other sleeps.
On way back the first driver sleeps.
Probably annoying for a single day, but doable. Better as a weekend trip...
but that's still better than Broken Arrow to Sydney where a weekend trip might feel too short.

Well I wouldn't know about that, but I could see that making it feel less desireable.

Then again at those rental prices I'd assume a lot of residents would welcome anyone who was excited to live in Trundle.
(else they wouldn't be offering 1$/wk rent)

Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 AM

6,061 posts, read 6,010,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiBell4 View Post
Ok, you all talked me out of it. I'll just find a nice little country place here in the good ol US. Thanks!
A very wise decision...it would never have worked out. USA not really so bad that you would want to decamp to a place like Trundle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand