Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM

130 posts, read 386,642 times

Advertisements

Formula 1â„¢ - The Official F1â„¢ Website
I am excited about this!. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,279 times
Unlike NASCAR, it's OK to like F1 because it's European and thus classy, right?

seriously, with quotes from the Gov. Hair and the Mayor, how has this slipped under the radar considering they are building a race facility from the ground up?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,477 times
Sorry if I'm immediately negative but in a time of massively shrinking city/state budget we're going to pay hundreds millions of public money to build a purpose built F1 race track. An expenditure which will only benefit the tourism industry and only guarantee 9 years of revenue.

How about some infrastructure first?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Hmm, this is kind of a big deal maybe? Austin will host the US Grand Prix until 2021?

Formula One Revives U.S. Grand Prix in Texas - ABC News

I hope they make the track such that it has a nice hill country or lake backdrop.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Unlike NASCAR, it's OK to like F1 because it's European and thus classy, right?

seriously, with quotes from the Gov. Hair and the Mayor, how has this slipped under the radar considering they are building a race facility from the ground up?
What's wrong with a little variety? There is more to auto racing than NHRA and NASCAR.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
I think the days of Austin flying under the radar of national (and international) attention are coming to an end. It was nice while it lasted.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I think the days of Austin flying under the radar of national (and international) attention are coming to an end.

That sucks.

However, I don't even know what an F1 is so I really can't comment.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:56 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
Holy Cow! I LOVE Formula 1, it's the only type of auto racing I watch (well other than World Rally). I can't believe it's coming to Austin of all places. I have to admit, though I'm quite thrilled, I'm a bit baffled. Austin certainly would not have been the first venue I would have thought of for a F1 race. I wish them the best of luck and hope that this can be successful. A few random thoughts:

- I hope they schedule the race early in the season when the weather is nicer, having it June-Aug would make it a whole lot less pleasant.

- This means that we'll have a world class road course in/near town, hopefully this will draw other races as well. A MotoGP race (or even World Superbike) would be awesome. I won't have to trek over to Laguna Seca every year.

- In addition to the above, this also means the increased probability of local access to the track for local auto and motorcycle races. I might have to dust the leathers off, WOOT!

Unfortunately they don't say anything about the location yet. I kinda hope it's more west, having some natural elevation variations (ala Laguna Seca) would be awesome. Those newer cookie cutter flat F1 tracks are pretty boring and I'm afraid that this will end up being somewhere east where it's flat (and the land cheaper). Having something akin to a Texas Spa Francorchamps would be out of this world.

The bad news of course is that for one weekend a year Austin is going to turn into a major zoo (hopefully, if this is successful, it should be unlike anything we've seen before), but it should be entertaining.

Last edited by austinnerd; 05-25-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 19,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I think the days of Austin flying under the radar of national (and international) attention are coming to an end. It was nice while it lasted.
I'm sorry about that. I'm new to town, too, and think this news equals a decade of Xmas mornings. I'm glad that the town that wants to be a PLAYER on an international scale.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Holy Cow! I LOVE Formula 1, it's the only type of auto racing I watch (well other than World Rally). I can't believe it's coming to Austin of all places. I have to admit, though I'm quite thrilled, I'm a bit baffled. Austin certainly would not have been the first venue I would have thought of for a F1 race. I wish them the best of luck and hope that this can be successful. A few random thoughts:
After some thought, it seems like the Austin decision may have been marketing (vs. market) driven. The F1 brand surely aspires to becoming more successful, like NASCAR... choosing Austin gives it a youthful, hip face. Especially if they plan the big race in the spring, when the national media is already looking at Austin because of SXSW. Yet Austin it is still accessible to the broad base of southern US fans who are interested in racing, where F1 surely sees a lucrative territory. The news reports seem to indicate NY/NJ were in the running, but I'd figure they might have been looking at places like NC and Georgia too.

Quote:
The bad news of course is that for one weekend a year Austin is going to turn into a major zoo (hopefully, if this is successful, it should be unlike anything we've seen before), but it should be entertaining.
Yeah, it's not like nice quiet Austin ever becomes a major zoo already.

BTW, does F1 racing mean we have "pro sports" in Austin (that aren't minor league)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin