Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 14,275 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Austin in July, and am wondering what neighborhoods are safe, clean, and have access to lots of good shopping and restaurants. I am looking for a 1 bed 1 bath for $650/mo. I have been looking online and have found tons of great looking rentals in my price range, but as I have never been there before, I do not know what areas are good neighborhoods. Please help! I have been looking in the Northwest Austin area as I have heard it's a nice area in general. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 PM

132 posts, read 225,696 times
Well, the first thing you're going to be told is that it isn't possible to get a "good" apartment for $650/mo. Disregard that, you just won't be able to get something in the heart of down town with a indoor Tennis court, 9-person soaker tube and two on-call maids fanning your butt crack. But there is plenty of stuff in and around that range within a short drive.

Check around The Domain and Arboretum, there are several complexes that have smaller 1 bedroom/1 bath units in that price range with lots of walking eating and shopping. That would be my starting point, if I were you.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Thank you! Some of the apartments I have looked at online are The Ranch on W Parmer Ln, Hunt Club on Shoreline Dr, and Madison at Scofield Farms on Metric Blvd...Any knowledge/thoughts on any of these? I don't need to be downtown at all, as long as I have driving access, which I'm not at all concerned about. I haven't had any trouble finding places online in my price range, my only issue is not knowing the area, I just really don't want to end up in a bad neighborhood! I won't have a chance to visit before I move so I would like to make as educated a decision as possible.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,790 times
The first two you mentioned are in basically suburban areas, safe and far from everything that's not a chain or big box store. It's a bit of a wash but I'd consider the first one to be in a somewhat better location (closer to "stuff"; but maybe I'm just more familiar with the area).

I second the recommendation for the Arboretum area which is nice enough, safe, and substantially closer to the rest of the city. There's a little bit more of an in-town atmosphere and you're walking/biking distance to shopping and restaurants. Some of the apartments in this area are a notch up in price but there are plenty in the range you are looking at too. For me, there is not much reason to live further out than this. YMMV.

I think you probably have little reason to consider the third one you mentioned, which is getting closer to some shadier parts of town and probably has no advantage over the other two or an Arboretum area apartment.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 AM

18 posts, read 53,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingTX2010 View Post
I am moving to Austin in July, and am wondering what neighborhoods are safe, clean, and have access to lots of good shopping and restaurants. I am looking for a 1 bed 1 bath for $650/mo. I have been looking online and have found tons of great looking rentals in my price range, but as I have never been there before, I do not know what areas are good neighborhoods. Please help! I have been looking in the Northwest Austin area as I have heard it's a nice area in general. Thanks so much!
You really should come down and see the different areas and get a good idea for yourself. I personally live in Cedar Park which is in NW Austin and love it. I have a family and some people may prefer to be closer to the downtown which is not far away by any means.

If you know where you are going to be working you will most likely want to be close by to avoid the traffic. As a Realtor/Mortgage Broker I work from my home typically but when I have to leave the early morning traffic can be a pain. That is true anywhere I guess.

Best of luck to you in Austin. It's a fantastic place to call home.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-06-2010 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: removed advertising

Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,904,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingTX2010 View Post
Thank you! Some of the apartments I have looked at online are The Ranch on W Parmer Ln, Hunt Club on Shoreline Dr, and Madison at Scofield Farms on Metric Blvd...Any knowledge/thoughts on any of these? I don't need to be downtown at all, as long as I have driving access, which I'm not at all concerned about. I haven't had any trouble finding places online in my price range, my only issue is not knowing the area, I just really don't want to end up in a bad neighborhood! I won't have a chance to visit before I move so I would like to make as educated a decision as possible.
Are you sure you can't come down first? Or how about come down and stay a few weeks in an extended stay? I guess the big problem would be storage.
It's not like the apartments are going to fill up and become unavailable. Don't let the property managers scare you into thinking that.

All the complexes you listed are pretty far out... and other than the 1st one, too far east to benefit from the arboretum area. I'd look for something closer to the 360 & 183 intersection. $650 will get you a 1 br pretty easily, just maybe a slightly older place.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
You appear to be focused north for some reason. There are some nice areas in south and Central Austin, as well, but if you want to stay north, the Arboretum area is nice and there are a few apartments in your price range there.

A lot depends on where you end up working and what your commute is likely to be. Also, what you like to do (besides shopping and eating at restaurants) can play into your decision. Do you prefer urban living or more suburban, or even small town living with a short commute to Austin? What activities do you like to engage in? (You might find something along 620 that would suit you better.) Are you more interested in something brand new, or something a little older that's had time to develop some character? Do you want bells and whistles in your apartment complex (gym, say, that kind of thing), or simply a nice place to live? Do you have pets, and, if so, what kind?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM

I guess I've just heard that northwest is very nice in general, which is why I have been searching there, but I'm open to other areas absolutely. I would like a secure area, units don't have to be BRAND NEW, but I would prefer newer. I would prefer a gym and a pool onsite as well, and I definitely want a unit with washer/dryer in unit. I would prefer urban/suburban living, definitely not small town, but I have no desire to be right in the middle of downtown, like I mentioned before, a drive doesn't bother me at all. I do have a small dog (20 lbs).

Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

A couple of quick apts I'd like to run by anyone who is still reading this: Amberley Ridge on Anderson Mill Rd and IMT on Anderson Mill Rd?? Nice area? Both look nice online. Finding a place to live from across the country is difficult! I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:09 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,076,514 times
You should Google "Austin Apartment Locator" and call some of them and find one who seems knowledgeable and experienced. It's a free service and they know where the good deals are and which places have unadvertised specials that they promote to the locators but not to walk-ins.

You'll get good general location info from the forums here, but the Apartment Locators are the ones who actually have the most valuable information and knowledge for you.

Good luck,

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin