Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM

38 posts, read 143,867 times

Advertisements

So my situation turned complicated this week. I'm in the process of closing on my current house (at the end of next month) and i've found a new house i'd like to put an offer on and am starting that process as well. It's a FNMA REO property so it has that closing costs incentive on it till May 1st. So i'm thinking i can close on both at the end of April and make it all work out.

Now the complicated part, i work for a large telecommunications company as a contractor. They've been trying for a few years to get the paperwork through for approval to convert me to a full time employee and right in the middle of this house madness, the paperwork somehow goes through and my boss surprises me with a "Congradulations, we are finally hiring you. This month."

Obviously i cant turn down something i've been working towards for a few years but the timing couldn't have been worse. My limited understanding of lenders and mortgages is one of the worst things you can do is change a job in the middle of the process. How ugly can this get? Is converting from a contractor (technically a W2 employee of a contract company) to a salary employee (with who is technically the customer) considered a job change by lenders? And if so, does this mean i'm not likely to be able to move on and close a house purchase in the span of a month?

It also doesn't help that the pay is less on the face of it with the full position, but about equal when you include the benefits and bonuses, though i dont think a lender will care about those and will only see the big numbers, which sucks considering my job is about to become more stable (better for them). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM

246 posts, read 858,334 times
Since you haven't made an offer, I assume you haven't applied for a loan, and have a pre-approval. I'd suggest getting a new pre-approval before submitting an offer. For something like this it'd be good to have a mortgage broker.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:47 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,625,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylkell View Post
So my situation turned complicated this week. I'm in the process of closing on my current house (at the end of next month) and i've found a new house i'd like to put an offer on and am starting that process as well. It's a FNMA REO property so it has that closing costs incentive on it till May 1st. So i'm thinking i can close on both at the end of April and make it all work out.

Now the complicated part, i work for a large telecommunications company as a contractor. They've been trying for a few years to get the paperwork through for approval to convert me to a full time employee and right in the middle of this house madness, the paperwork somehow goes through and my boss surprises me with a "Congradulations, we are finally hiring you. This month."

Obviously i cant turn down something i've been working towards for a few years but the timing couldn't have been worse. My limited understanding of lenders and mortgages is one of the worst things you can do is change a job in the middle of the process. How ugly can this get? Is converting from a contractor (technically a W2 employee of a contract company) to a salary employee (with who is technically the customer) considered a job change by lenders? And if so, does this mean i'm not likely to be able to move on and close a house purchase in the span of a month?

It also doesn't help that the pay is less on the face of it with the full position, but about equal when you include the benefits and bonuses, though i dont think a lender will care about those and will only see the big numbers, which sucks considering my job is about to become more stable (better for them). Thoughts?
Just out of curiosity which Telecommunications company are you working for?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM

65 posts, read 248,782 times
Your best bet is to start shopping mortgage brokers and state your scenario to see what they say. I'm not a broker, so I'm not 100% sure,but I think it may not be as ugly as you think. Mortgage companies will take your situation into consideration. A big plus is that you are still in the same industry with a similar job description. I think you should just check w/ a couple of lenders.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,708,867 times
I agree with previous poster. Actually when we moved to Austin, neither of us had jobs but we had a pre-approval letter based on the jobs we were leaving (I guess assuming same industry/same pay scenerio) and there were no issues.
Check with a REPUTABLE mortgage company perhaps suggested by your agent if you have one, and get the low down. I think it should all work out. You may just need to get a letter from HR stating the comparable pay scale...

And, I too am curious about your telecom company...

Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,115,098 times
Most banks like salaried workers better than contractors, especially 1099 ones.

You might be in a stronger position now than before, start calling and asking.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM

260 posts, read 905,087 times
What matters is that you are in the same line of work. We've changed jobs and bought houses with no problems at all. Just talk to your mortgage lender. Congrats!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin