Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,951 times

Advertisements

DH and I are considering building a custom home rather than buying an existing home or new construction in a development tract?

We are both professionals and don't have any children and homes just don't seem to be designed for people like us (we need two offices and big reception rooms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,637 times
My fiance and I used Baker Custom Homes and were very pleased. Great quality and very willing to work with us. We love everything about the house. They usually do big, expensive houses on the lake, but have been doing smaller (3,000+ sqft) houses since last spring bc of the economy. Got all the best subs bc of the market and their finish-out is much nicer than the other homes I have seen in this price point.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 AM

37 posts, read 82,125 times
I would also check out Mezger Homes (::: Mezger Homes LLC :::) - Luke Mezger is a custom home builder that has done remodeling work at my house, and has also built several new homes as well as a substantial number of complete renovations. I highly recommend him as he has high integrity and unique commitment to clear communication and quality work. I find that to be rare in the homebuilding industry. Feel free to tell him that Phil sent you.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,313 times
Another option may be to go with a builder like Tilson. They start at a lower price point (mid 100's) but are good quality and VERY customizeable. You're describing the floor plan that my wife and I are working towards. We are going to customize the master bedroom also into something much bigger and this is an affordable way to have our dreamhome the way we envision it.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-10-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,625 times
we did a renovation/addition in 2007 - our guy treated our money like it was his own and, including a $10k unbudgeted deck,, brought the project in @ 7% over budget -- dm me for contact if you'd like

Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 20,396 times
Mercedes homes, Ryland homes, but it depends on what your price range is. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shes_LuLu View Post
Mercedes homes, Ryland homes, but it depends on what your price range is. Good luck!
While Mercedes Homes are pretty nice (Ryland not really in that same league), those are cookie cutter/subdivision/tract home builders, not custom home builders.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,208 times
We used Nalle Custom Homes. They were fantastic. Not only did they complete our house on schedule and budget, they were a pleasure to deal with. They even had some improvements to our design. With them, it was truly a custom home. You have to pick out every detail of your house, from shingles to hinges on the doors. They build in all price ranges. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
DH and I are considering building a custom home rather than buying an existing home or new construction in a development tract?

We are both professionals and don't have any children and homes just don't seem to be designed for people like us (we need two offices and big reception rooms).
It's interesting you say that because I have found that to be frustratingly true. As one half of a childless couple myself, it's really frustrating to look at new homes and have only 2 choices, 1) A really nice house without about 3 too many bedrooms, or 2) a not so nice crackerjack box.

Sure, I can convert a bedroom to an office, but it's still just a bedroom with a computer in it. It's just weird that with all the customization options and myriad of choices out there in the home field, that there are NO floor plans aimed at the childless couple. Even plans for retirees are set up with extra bedrooms so the grandkids can visit.

I guess families drive the home building buisness, which is why it is so difficult to find a 1800-2400 sq ft house that is not just a 3 bedroom with no offices or entertaining spaces. It just is a little frustrating that DINKS (double income, no kids) have to choose the really more expensive option of custom home building in order to get a house that fits their lifestyle. I know MANY couples in my age group that don't have children and never plan on having them. It seems to be a growing trend too....I guess we should all just shut up and move to a downtown condo. LOL. No suburban dream for us.

Of course, with everything that's going on in the world, I guess it's a very small thing to complain about. It is just one of those things I have noticed.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
However I would say that it's not a great idea to custom build a home that's too out-of-the-ordinary because of resale value. If you ever have to sell it can be really tough trying to sell a home that is a two bedroom and two study, for example...

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-10-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin