Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 AM

355 posts, read 1,235,873 times

Advertisements

Hey yall (I learned that phrase from the austianians! LOL I just moved from MI to here and I am single and bi-racial. I love the town, but I would feel better if I knew people. I'm 24 and would like to know a couple of things:1.Where is the best place to find single men? LIke I said, I am bi-racial (half black, half white) and I don't see a lot of black young women in the austin area. If I do, they are in certain parts of town. I'm thinking I should get an apartment near UT to meet other young people to network with, even though I don't go there.......is this a good idea?2. How is the take on black or bi-racial women in austin regarding dating? I mean, I see a lot of mexicans, but they usually date "their own kind", and almost every black man I have seen is paired up with a white woman.....3. What are some things to do in Austin? I live on teh South side of austin (BOOOO), I mean it is nice and quiet/safe,but it seems like everything to do is in central austin or in the north...4. I am looking for my own apartment that doesn't require a credit check but just a down deposit and first month's rent. My credit is shot down the toielet because of school loans Do you have any suggestions?Thanks to all who reply! I do like austin so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM

355 posts, read 1,235,873 times
thanks in advance to all

Old 01-25-2010, 02:51 PM

132 posts, read 499,845 times
Welcome to Austin.

You should find that your race will not be a factor here. There are more than a few threads discussing that very subject, but I tend to stay away from them b/c I feel I have nothing to contribute.

You'll find that people tend to live in an area for one or any of these three reasons, though not exclusively:

1. They want to be close to work.
  2. They want to live where they can walk or bike where they want to go.
  3. They're restricted by budget.
You'll find that there is no one area other than the University area where people of certain age ranges live. Obviously, retirement communities are excluded from that comment.

I think the best way you'll meet someone truly sincere is simply getting out to do the things you like to do, be it shopping at the farmers' market, museums, festivals, hiking or biking, etc. If you want to check out the bar scene, try these three loosely defined areas: The Drag, which is Guadalupe Street between MLK and 26th Street; Sixth Street between I-35 and Congress; and the Warehouse District centered on 4th Street between Congress and Lavaca. Of course there are other areas with pickets of bars...like South Congress, 6th Street west of Lavaca, etc.

Oh, and people from Austin are called Austinites.

Good luck!

D

Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM

634 posts, read 1,455,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Hey yall (I learned that phrase from the austianians! LOL

People from Austin are called Austinites.

I just moved from MI to here and I am single and bi-racial. I love the town, but I would feel better if I knew people. I'm 24 and would like to know a couple of things:

1.Where is the best place to find single men? LIke I said, I am bi-racial (half black, half white) and I don't see a lot of black young women in the austin area. If I do, they are in certain parts of town.

Unfortunately that is one of the realities of life in Austin: It's remarkably segregated. As for single men, I have no idea. Not a dater and I never had much luck with the men in Austin (I'm bi-racial also, half black/half Latina). But I'm also much older than you, so dating is kind of a past tense thing for me.

I'm thinking I should get an apartment near UT to meet other young people to network with, even though I don't go there.......is this a good idea?

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be to your benefit to live near campus. But be prepared as areas around campus are pretty expensive.

2. How is the take on black or bi-racial women in austin regarding dating? I mean, I see a lot of mexicans, but they usually date "their own kind", and almost every black man I have seen is paired up with a white woman.....

Again, I can't speak to your dating question, but maybe you should try going out to 6th Street? Not really my thing (again, old lady here), but back in the day I remember spending many a lost weekend downtown. Joining a church? Sorry I don't have better advice.

3. What are some things to do in Austin? I live on teh South side of austin (BOOOO), I mean it is nice and quiet/safe,but it seems like everything to do is in central austin or in the north...

You should pick up a Chronicle (the town's free weekly) and have a glance at what seems of interest to you.

4. I am looking for my own apartment that doesn't require a credit check but just a down deposit and first month's rent. My credit is shot down the toielet because of school loans Do you have any suggestions?Thanks to all who reply! I do like austin so far

Craigslist?

Good luck to you.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 AM

37 posts, read 82,512 times
In your case I would HIGHLY recommend eHarmony.com - I actually found the woman who ended up being my wife that way! It's the best way to find people who you are most compatible with in an area where you don't already have a social structure, friendships, family, etc. set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin