Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:08 AM

55 posts, read 235,835 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Austin at the end of the summer. I was wondering how some of you recent transplants went about making friends. Our only friends right now are in their 70s (they are contacts of my mother-in-law) and are fun as hell but we are hoping to branch out too. We are young 30s and plan on having kids a couple of years down the road. We plan to contact our alumni associations and to join an acting class and a church...maybe get into some other activities as well...

As you can see, we are in the beginning stages of the networking process. Just wondering what strategies we might want to add to our game plan? Of course, we could also try just kicking back and having fun and seeing what happens as opposed to mapping out how exactly we will make friends... What has worked for all of you? It's daunting to imagine being so far away from all our close friends and family and adjusting to a brand new city, not knowing a soul. I'd also like to know how some of you adjusted to the huge life change. I'm adventurous by nature but fear change of any sort...always have...Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM

289 posts, read 1,139,167 times
Well, if you are buying in the suburbs, you'll probably have an HOA with activities to get to know your neighbors. Ours has poolside events 5-6 times a year - Memorial Day BBQ, July 4th party, ice cream social, National Night Out, etc. Plus the community has put together poker nights and cocktail nights.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:58 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,706,405 times
I'm a native Texan, not from Austin, but just re-transplanted from colorado a few years ago and landed in Hutto. My daughter, the not shy social butterfly, helped me. We were outside playing one day and she saw my neighbors son outside and wanted to go play, so that's how we made one set of friends. Our next door neighbor, we found out from just waving hi a few times, Is always ready for conversation. Met other people through things like tashina said. Still others, out on walks. Take enough walks around, you'll start to meet other regular walkers. Some I've met through play group and daughters classes/church. Work is a good source as well, although since I'm a stay at home mom now, that wasn't an option at present. I also like being involved in community, like neighborhood groups or civic organizations. It's not so hard to make new friends, but you have to kinda just put yourself out there and hope for the best. Generally, people are still pretty friendly and welcoming, even with all the transplants....With that said, most new transplants are also looking for new friends, so I think you'll have a pretty good experience. None of my neighbors are Hutto natives (Michigan, Houston, Louisiana, California, New Jersey, corpus christi, Kansas...are some of the places they're from)

Last edited by love roses; 05-25-2007 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 05-25-2007, 12:06 PM

447 posts, read 1,850,447 times
We moved here in June of last year only have 1 contact in Austin - a good friend of a friend of mine. I feel VERY lucky that she is a social butterfly and sort of took us "under her wing" and introduced us to all of her friends, and voila - I have a group of girlfriends (and dh is friends with their husbands - we get together as a large group and hang out fairly often). We all have young children, so that helps.

It helps also if you work outside the home - both dh and I work full time, so we have a network of friends through that.

I found that everyone is so friendly and social - I can honestly say I have more friends after living here for 11 months than I did in almost a lifetime of living in New England!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,282,161 times
I find that the best way to meet people is to volunteer for something - either the HOA social committee, a charitable organization, etc. I volunteered to get involved with our HOA social committee and have met tons of friends that way. I think husbands usually tag along and meet the husbands of their wives' girlfriends

Old 05-25-2007, 02:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,760,528 times
I'm not a recent transplant, but I remember when I was - the best friends I made were from work. Even when I changed jobs - again - my best friends were people I worked with.

Austin has a pretty cool, hip social scene, so I'm sure you can find one of about a bazillion activities that appeal to you and would get you in contact with like-minded folk.

I find that one of the best ways to learn about stuff happenin' around town is to pick up some local community newspaper (usually found in your Amy's Ice Cream or your Whole Foods-type places - or just the local rag you can pick up at the grocery store or downtown news bin).

And as you do start to meet people - ask them what they like to do for fun on the weekends. There's always something going on and always a lot of people around to give you tips, advice, etc.

Volunteering is a wonderful way to get connected pretty quickly. There's a cool website I found: www.volunteermatch.com - I found a TON of postings on there that matched me up to my volunteer interests.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 PM

20 posts, read 110,012 times
We just moved here and had the most success with Church. Kids help too, but dogs can serve the same purposes (only kind of kidding). The dog parks are full of friendly people who are doing nothing but standing around. Acting class is a good idea, I do a lot of theater and meet people that way. Heck, email me when you get here, I'll be your friend.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,831 times
Audrey,

My husband and I relocated from Chicago about 5 months ago. We are also in our 30's and have no children. Since then, meeting people has been difficult. We have tried meetups.com and several other sites. So far, no luck. Perhaps we have been spoiled. Chicago is a very friendly city.

Would you like to meet for a drink or coffee sometime?

Gaby

Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,706,405 times
If you are in your 30's and have no children, how about frequenting a place like a club, resturaunt, music venue, museum...go a couple of times a week. The more people start to become familiar with you, the more comfortable they will be, and voila! If you have them in your neighborhood at all, frequent all the get togethers as often as you can. I've gotten to know my neighbors pretty well doing that. If your coworkers invite you somewhere after work, or if a group of them go somewhere for happy hour, even if you don't drink...GO! Austin is one of the friendliest places to be, but you also have to do your part to be open and friendly and receptive to the people around you who may just be a little bit reticent to start up conversations. You can be spoiled here as well. I worked with 2 people from Chicago when I was in Denver, and they were both very outgoing and friendly people. There wasn't anyone they wouldn't talk to

Old 10-13-2007, 02:36 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,467,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabyvarela1 View Post
Audrey,

My husband and I relocated from Chicago about 5 months ago. We are also in our 30's and have no children. Since then, meeting people has been difficult. We have tried meetups.com and several other sites. So far, no luck. Perhaps we have been spoiled. Chicago is a very friendly city.

Would you like to meet for a drink or coffee sometime?

Gaby

Hey Gaby,

I don't know if you've heard of Gateway Church on McNeil Road, but they were started by several couples from Chicago so it may feel familiar to you. Most people are 30 somethings or younger and they have lots of just-for-fun activities like a hiking trip to the Ouachita Mountaiins or pick-up basketball, or service activities like feeding the homeless or helping a refugees. May be worth a try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin