Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 11,054 times

Advertisements

I’m considering a move to Austin, and if I do, I’d like to buy a place on one of the lakes. I will eventually contact local realtors, but first I’d like to hear some of the local skinny on the lake areas of the city. Which areas would be the most desirable? I’m not interested in traditional architecture. My preference is for mid-century modern, but have no idea if that exists anyplace in the area. I’d appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 PM

44 posts, read 89,680 times
what is your price range. Lake travis has become very high on cost per sq ft. It has become a meca of new home builders. There are some property out there but you will need to see them and what amount of rehab to transform them into the type of property you are looking for. I'm an investor and this can be a great time to make your move and a excellent time to get a great deal as well. Go to austin360.com and search out some property that may interest you. lake travis zip codes are 78730. I am always finding great deal but it take work. Hope this helps

Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
78734 is another zip code you might want to look in. Are you looking for ON the lake (as in, lake front property, which is going to be pricey) or near the lake, in a lake community? What else are you looking for besides mid-century modern (which MIGHT be available in some communities near the lakes, but I wouldn't swear to it - that's more likely to be found closer in) and "on the lake"? Price range, size of house, square footage preferences, what do you like to do, etc.?

Old 12-19-2009, 02:28 PM

I'm figuring on spending around $500,000, but that's not cast in stone. I won't need more than 2 BRs with other areas suitable for workout room and wine cellar. Problem with stating square footage is that I think that creative architecture can give more livability in less space. Might prefer condo.

But .... at this point, I'm still looking for the local skinny. Why, for example, Lake Travis? Where else?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:10 PM

139 posts, read 451,065 times
Lake Austin is generally more desirable than Lake Travis - primarily due to location. It's much closer to Austin, but $500,000 won't go far. On Lake Travis, you will definitely be able to get a lakeview (but likely not a lakefront lot) for $500,000.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
How familiar are you with the lakes and rivers around Austin? Do you want lakefront property or lake view? Do you plan to boat? Do you want your own private dock or a marina?

Just a little background on the 2 lakes closest to Austin. Lake Austin is a river. Well in all fairness, both Lake Austin and Lake Travis are both part of the Colorado River. But Lake Austin is much narrower and stretches from Tom Miller Dam to Mansfield Dam. Lake Austin is constant level and is controlled by the 2 dams. So if you have lakefront property on Lake Austin, it will stay lakefront all year long. Lake Austin will not flood and it will not lower due to drought. The only exception is when the city lowers the lake to try and kill the Hydrilla weed that grows in the river. This is usually in January/February. Lake Travis is a large lake formed by Mansfield Dam. It's main purpose is for flood control and water storage. It is much more succeptible to drought. We have had an extreme drought the last couple of years. Lake Travis has been down as much as 50 feet in September. It is currently down almost 30 feet below full. So if you have lakefront property on Lake Travis, you might have flood or drought.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
Just a little background on the 2 lakes closest to Austin. Lake Austin is a river. Well in all fairness, both Lake Austin and Lake Travis are both part of the Colorado River. But Lake Austin is much narrower and stretches from Tom Miller Dam to Mansfield Dam. Lake Austin is constant level and is controlled by the 2 dams. So if you have lakefront property on Lake Austin, it will stay lakefront all year long. Lake Austin will not flood and it will not lower due to drought. The only exception is when the city lowers the lake to try and kill the Hydrilla weed that grows in the river. This is usually in January/February. Lake Travis is a large lake formed by Mansfield Dam. It's main purpose is for flood control and water storage. It is much more succeptible to drought. We have had an extreme drought the last couple of years. Lake Travis has been down as much as 50 feet in September. It is currently down almost 30 feet below full. So if you have lakefront property on Lake Travis, you might have flood or drought.
That's the sort of information I'm looking for. Thanks very much for your input.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:47 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Lake Austin is cold, choppy, small and expensive, but closer in. Lake Travis is big, and there are many small neighborhood/town communities surrounding it. You could drive 70+ miles getting from some of the north areas to the south areas. There is also Lake Marble Falls, which is constant level like Lake Austin (though both can indeed flood under the right conditions), and Lake LBJ which are both within commuting distance of Austin and less expensive.

The north side of Lake Travis in Jonestown and Lago Vista will be the more affordable areas. On the south side, Spicewood would probably offer something decent for $500K. Lakeway and the closer in areas of LT would probably be outside your price range, though for a smaller older home you might find something.

I owned a house on lake Travis which I sold 7 years ago. It wasn't all I thought it would be. The constant change in water level creates a lot of work and effort depending on the grade of your lot, whether you have a dock that needs to be moved in and out, etc. Ours was a second home and I was out there working part time all the time and it became too much. If I ever wanted on the lake again, I'd seriously consider a condo, even though I don't like condo living.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-20-2009, 04:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
My personal favorite close to Austin is LBJ.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Why not consider a condo downtown next to Town Lake - the lake that runs through downtown Austin. There are some svelte towers with concierge, weightrooms, spas, the works. You could easily get a 2 BR less than threes blocks from the lake in one of the nicest buildings around; the Austonian, for 500K. The city is pushing for density downtown and almost completely ignoring expansion of the roadways. Good news for people living downtown and in central Austin, bad news for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin