Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,512 times

Advertisements

i've read some articles and reader comments abou how austin isnt as diverse or progressive as it boasts. i've never been there, but, according o good ol' wikipedia, that depite the relatively low number of african americans, there is a huge hispanic population, and whites are no longer the majority

so in a city that has so many minority groups, why is the diversity being called into question? is there a lot of segregation?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 AM

145 posts, read 184,273 times
Segregation isn't exclusive to Texas, or to Austin -- it's a phenomenon that can be seen across the country in urban metropolises large and small.

That said, yes Austin is segregated, both racially and socioeconomically, but that's the case anywhere. You have historically black areas (which predominate the east side of the city), historically white areas (such as the west, northwest, and north central areas), and racially-mixed areas (south side and far north sides, respectively).

It's all a matter of perspective. If you're coming from a racially and culturally diverse place like New York, Chicago, LA, or even Dallas, yes, you will notice that Austin is not the United Nations. However, it continues to attract diverse talent from across the country and globe through it's educational establishments as well as it's burgeoning tech industry.

My main complaint with the place as a young black man has been that the city is still backwards and small town-minded in regards to racial progressiveness and true acceptance. In other words, here more so than Dallas, for instance, my race seems to be an issue or topic of discussion more than I'd like.

I question how a place can have aspirations of being cosmopolitan or progressive but have a populace who by and large have not had experiences interacting with different ethnicities, cultures, and/or people who don't fit the majority demographic.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
I 35 running right through the middle makes a convenient dividing line. Northeast of the city is relatively diverse. See, OP, you can see part of your answer in that already left out part of the general Austin area. Although, I guess technically + or - is only talking the immediate City of Austin itself and not the entire metro surrounding it.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 AM

302 posts, read 690,797 times
I have to say, for those who say Austin is not cosmopolitan or progressive in terms of racial/socioeconomic integration, it's more of a question of "to what degree is it integrated". If you compare it to the mayor US metropolitan areas, it may fall a bit short, but then again, not really. Even NY is racially and socioeconomically segragated.

There will always be socio-economic "segregation". It just happens that most of the very wealthy in Austin (same as in most of the US) happen to be white.

I'd say the major "segregation" factor in Austin is socioeconomic in nature, not racially motivated.

Hate crimes, to my knowledge, don't really happen here. And blatant discrimination, well, there are so many minorities here that I have yet to experience it.

Anyway, as for discrimination, it exists everywhere, no matter how "cosmopolitan" or "progressive" a place is.

Oh, and I should note. For me, Austin is VERY diverse. I lived in the Northeast, and lets just say its a lot less diverse up there...

Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Austin proper is an expensive city to live in- no matter the ethnicity. The suburbs are less expensive and therefore, more diverse (Westlake and the lake areas excluded).

Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Austin proper is an expensive city to live in- no matter the ethnicity. The suburbs are less expensive and therefore, more diverse (Westlake and the lake areas excluded).
Austin is a lot more integrated and diverse than my hometown! Try the Detroit area on for size if you want to see some segregation!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM

22 posts, read 40,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl1984 View Post
and whites are no longer the majority
Is this true?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Define "diverse". I'm sitting here thinking about my children's friends as they were growing up (they're both adults now), and the assortment of ethnicities that were represented. Pretty diverse group, it seems to me. Mostly, we lived near downtown (Highland Park, Manor Road, Barton Hills, etc.), or later out past Georgetown.

Are we talking statistics? Are we talking one person's personal experience (in which case whether or not it's diverse could be very subjective - one person might think if their race is not 50% of their social group, Austin isn't diverse, even if there are several other races represented in that group, another might think that having even one of a wide variety of races is diversity).

So, define your terms!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Lets throw some numbers out there. Metro Austin is:

Hispanic: 26.23%
African American: 7.96%
Asian: 3.52%

The rest is white.

Austin City is:

Hispanic: 34.2%
White: 50%
Asian: 5.5%
Black: 8.3%

Ill let you guys decide if you think thats diverse.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Didn't we beat this topic to death in this last thread?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...racism-20.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin