Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,597 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are on the verge of relocating to Austin from Northern CA. I have a few very specific things I'm concerned about & looking for help on (commute times, approx. salaries, climate concerns, etc).

Neither of us have jobs lined up yet, so obviously this makes deciding where to live very difficult. We're pretty much looking at new developments in Georgetown / Round Rock / Cedar Park for something in the $250k range.

If, worst case scenario, we get jobs in Austin what is the commute time during rush hour - an hour each way? Any suggestions on specific neighborhoods/areas around here that would keep the commuting to a minimum are much appreciated!

Also, how bad is this humidity thing - as long as we have air-conditioning we'll be okay right? Most people we've talked to say it's excruciating a few days out of every summer but pretty bearable otherwise.

Also, the research I've been doing (salary.com, monster, craigslist) makes it look like salaries are about 1/4 lower than the Bay Area. Does this sound about right or completely off? I've had a lot of office mgmt/admin experience and have a degree in marketing. He was formerly a machinist and now does microscope repair. Neither of our jobs are terribly high tech (which is a way of saying although we live in the Bay Area we don't make those Bay Area salaries you hear about!)

Thanks so much! Really appreciate you taking the time to help us newcomers out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:49 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
Since you don't know where you'll be working, and you are concerned (rightly so!) with the commute, I would definitely suggest renting first. Then when you know where both your jobs will be, and you're more familiar with the different areas, you can start house hunting. You don't have to sign a one-year lease. Lots of apartment complexes offer three, six and seven month leases.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
And for about 10% a month more, many apartments do a month-to-month agreement, too.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 AM

40 posts, read 166,515 times
Coming from NoCal, the weather will be a dramatic change. The months of July and August will seem unbearable, especially between Noon and 5PM (this is of course, if Austin is the same as SA (I believe it is)). The rest of the year will actually be decent.

I too did not have a job lined up when we moved, and it ended up taking me about 6 months to finally find a FT job w/ a law firm. I would recommend renting, that way you're money isn't tied up with a mortgage right away and you'll also be able to fully appreciate the areas to avoid and those you'll love to live in.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 AM

575 posts, read 2,496,680 times
I took a quick trip to Salary.com and checked out their cost of living wizard.

If I got a job in San Francisco, I would need to make $172K to keep the same standard of living. Unfortunately, at my salary level, it says realistically I would only make about $95K per year. That is a huge gap!

Even so if I could get $172K/yr., I still don't think we could get a 3600+ sq. ft. house on 1/4 acre, near a lake (ocean?) that would have reasonable payments. I believe that salary is also at the 9.3% top tax table for CA inc. tax, then you also have Fed. inc. tax, so the take home is obviously not $172K.

I believe the subjectivity of "standard of living" is epitomized by knowing what we could get for about $350K in San Francisco! At $650 a sq. ft., that would get us about 538 sq. ft. of bliss, and space for all four of us, NOT. We could possibly go back down to about 1,800 sq. ft., but we will only do that if necessary.

Anyways, trying to make the point that the cost of living definitely can be lower out here.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,969 times
Default Relocating

Hi

I am from San Francisco Bay Area too, does anyone know about the homes in Brushy Creek Area Sec 1. Older homes like from 1980s, is it a good area to be in?

Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,279 times
payscale.com is the best and most accurate website for figuring out what a job pays.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
payscale.com is the best and most accurate website for figuring out what a job pays.

Did the basic at payscale. I am not doing too bad here in Austin!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,597 times
Default Great advice!

Thanks very much for all of your responses. I will definitely look into the renting thing. You guys just saved me months of headache I'm sure And I did check out payscale.com & it's in line with what I expected - good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin