Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:22 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times

Advertisements

Austin is not a wealthier city but a city with a good marketing plan. Sorry, I drive around both cities and SA looks far more wealthier than Austin. Its a shame that Austinites cannot say anything nice about SA. This is the town that most of them shop in about 15 years ago. Its funny how one town gets a little recognition and its just goes to its head. You can only kiss yourself in the mirror so long until it gets smeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin is not a wealthier city but a city with a good marketing plan. Sorry, I drive around both cities and SA looks far more wealthier than Austin. Its a shame that Austinites cannot say anything nice about SA. This is the town that most of them shop in about 15 years ago. Its funny how one town gets a little recognition and its just goes to its head. You can only kiss yourself in the mirror so long until it gets smeared.
Excuse me? I've lived in Austin for about 40 years now. I don't recall there ever being at time during all that time that San Antonio was "the town that most of them shop in", if by "them" you mean Austinites. Where did you get that idea?

Now, running to Houston for a day of lunch and shopping? Or Dallas? Sure, I remember folks doing that and doing it myself. But San Antonio? Not so much.

Nothing against San Antonio, my husband is from there, we visited my mother-in-law there frequently over the years before she died, my son lives in San Antonio currently, and we visit him and have a lovely time. But not for shopping, not then, and not now.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Most of the people I know from SA are accustomed to making regular trips to shop in Austin, to visit some of the stores they don't have... like Ikea, Fry's, Crate and Barrel, etc. Someone who drives around both cities should know that No offense.

Tell me, if we become a suburb of SA, does that mean we can build the Spurs an arena and have them play out of Austin? Cause if so, I might have to consider backing the idea.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I'm sure lots of people in SA don't drive into Austin to shop at those stores since the outlets have many of them.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say that I actually do enjoy and like visiting San Antonio.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:37 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
shooting blanks there.

the majority of Hispanics are brown, here in Austin, there in Mexico and South America.

are you disputing that?
Good god... you have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. "Brown" is NOT a *race*... "Caucasian" IS a RACE. You don't understand the difference between RACE and ETHNICITY, and it is absolutely maddening to read your posts about this.

Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. One is cultural, the other is biological.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say that I actually do enjoy and like visiting San Antonio.
You're not really the odd man out; if you'll read upthread, you'll see that I enjoy visiting San Antonio for other reasons. It was just the statement that 15 years ago most Austinites went to San Antonio to shop that boggled me, being SO far off the mark as it was.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
San Antonio also has some amazing restaurants that I enjoy visiting. I grew up in SA in the 70s and 80s, and it was a great place to be a kid. The cool thing about SA is that it has 'neighborhoods' as opposed to 'suburbs'. SA is a great big rambling place. I might also offer that it has tons of cool museums, parks, a REAL zoo and more alternate routes to get from here to there. UTSA and Trinity are excellent colleges. The employment base is more varied, too, with everything from executive/managerial, to hospitality/retail to manufacturing. So...SA is not a 'loser' city by any means.

Austin is smaller, used to be more close knit (you knew everybody), more professional/intellectual, prettier in terms of topography, more suburban (RR, Pf, etc).

Shopping is a draw. There are cute boutiques and national chains (NM, Saks, Nordstrom, etc) in both. I do give the nod to La Cantera in SA over the Domain in Austin. True hard core shoppers go to NY, Houston or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin