Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,638,484 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be driving to Austin this Friday morning and staying most of the day Saturday as well. The problem is we don't know where to stay or what tours/things to see etc. Can you all help out?

1. Good hotel to stay at. Doesn't have to be super fancy etc. Just something decent in a good area.

2. What company should we use for a tour?

3. What are must sees in Austin?

4. Any good restaurants we should try thats native to Austin?

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,804,924 times
I'd stay in downtown Austin. Maybe you could find a good rate at the Radisson. You'll have a direct view of the Capitol building, and walking access to what comprises the entertainment district, as well as the eclectic Austin blend of South Congress businesses and restaurants. The Radisson is on the shores of Lady Bird Johnson Lake (Town Lake). The Continental Club is close, you might want see who's playing there. Despite the threads about restaurants, I'd go to Guerros since it is a local restaurant, it would be close and you can get a pretty decent meal and margarita there, if you like them. I'd stay away from 6th street unless you're very young. imo, it is for people new to the realm of legal drinking age. Some think this is ho-hum, but I'd be around to watch the bats come out from under the bridge next to the Radisson, just to say you saw it. Not spectacular to me, but it is to some.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 AM

Awesome info capcat... Thanks!!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM

16,786 posts, read 49,208,244 times
You might get better recommendations, more specific to your interests, if you talked a bit about what kind of things you like to do and what has attracted you to Austin.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM

We just want to see the main attractions in Austin. We moved to Dallas last year and always wanted to visit Austin to see what it was like there.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 AM

544 posts, read 1,671,638 times
there's always the duck tour and the segway experience - castle hill cafe is a good "native" experience as is shady grove (much more casual) -- hula hut on lake austin would be a fun place to be on friday night

Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 AM

16,786 posts, read 49,208,244 times
Austin segway tour SegCity Segway Tours & Sales in San Antonio, Austin & Galveston

Austin duckboat/bus tour Austin Duck Adventures: Land and Lake Tours of Austin

You can look up what events are scheduled for a particular date here and see what looks interesting to you. http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Calendar/index

The Hotel San Jose is considered a pretty unique Austin experience, and it is located in the heart of the popular SoCo area, on South Congress, just south of downtown.

http://www.sanjosehotel.com/

http://austin.smallplanetguide.com/r...n_neighborhood

Manuel's Mexican Restaurant‎ is one of my favorite in the downtown area.
310 Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 472-7555

http://manuels.com/

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-10-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 57,879 times
If you want to earn "points" with your wife, take her out to Salado (Spelling?). It's just 45 minutes north of Austin up I-75 - you can't miss it. They have great little shops and restaurants.

In Texas Monthly Magazine, they publish great country drives. There are a ton of them and you get to see the awesome Texas Hill Country.

I love the Capital, and a walk down Congress Ave. You can hit 6th street if you are feeling adventurous for some local music. It's pretty safe.

Take the sunset cruise on the river there see the bat's taking off from under the Congress bridge. I think it's one of the largest colonies of free tale bats.

I also like driving across the Pennybacker Bridge (spellings?) It's off the Capitol of Texas Hwy.

Have fun!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,588,826 times
Yes, the Duck Tours are pretty cool. However, be warned that they give out duck "quackers" to everyone and if there are bunch of kids on your tour, it might be difficult to hear at times.

Renting a kayak is a must in my opinion if you like the outdoors. It's cheap and with the coupon below it's even better. Just be sure to bring a change of clothes as you might get a little wet.

Zilker Park Boat Rentals - Coupon

Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 8,814 times
One of my favorite downtown spots is "The Roaring Fork". It's at about 6th and Congress. They have a drink I have not seen anywhere else....huckleberry margarita. They import gallons of huckleberry puree from Idaho at great expense and add that to a regular margarita slush. They also have a great hamburger/fries....usually priced at $13, but, during happy hours it goes for $8. Very tasty! In the past I have not been a margarita drinker or a hamburger/fries eater. I made the exception in Austin. Say hello to Rochelle...a wonderful bartender! Ciao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin