Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:20 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
It still costs less than TxDOT spent on the Trans Texas Corridor ($131M) so at least its not the biggest waste of money in the state. Seriously though I can't imagine voters authorizing any type of expansion to me be managed by CapMetro in the foreseeable (~10 years) future. Still I don't understand how COA would be able to operate their own rail system. A collaboration with CapMetro perhaps?
It will be managed by the Transportation department:

Austin News: Developing Stories: A Long Route to Go - AustinChronicle.com

Unfortunately, Austinites seem to be getting the message that "rail here doesn't work" or is simply a boondoggle instead of "we need better, properly thought-out rail". Imagine how lame it will be if citizens here vote down another plan - assuming it just another bad, waste of money by CM - while Houston and Dallas keep on expanding their transit options, improving their cities and regions. Meanwhile Austin will continue to grow in every conceivable direction with the same under-linked roads and limited bus service, killing the golden goose for sure.

Totally weak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I hope they're up and running soon. It truly is a wonderful idea. My opinion.
Now that the rush 'hour' is about 6 hours a day in many parts of the city I laugh when people say that no one will ride it. At some point its going to be more a question if you can live that far out and work downtown and not ride it.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
It will be managed by the Transportation department:

Austin News: Developing Stories: A Long Route to Go - AustinChronicle.com

Unfortunately, Austinites seem to be getting the message that "rail here doesn't work" or is simply a boondoggle instead of "we need better, properly thought-out rail". Imagine how lame it will be if citizens here vote down another plan - assuming it just another bad, waste of money by CM - while Houston and Dallas keep on expanding their transit options, improving their cities and regions. Meanwhile Austin will continue to grow in every conceivable direction with the same under-linked roads and limited bus service, killing the golden goose for sure.

Totally weak.
Lack of public transportation has done its number on the Metro Detroit area. Austin better look at building up a strong core before it's too late.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 AM

206 posts, read 483,759 times
I'm guessing Detroit has more problems than simply rail failure.

I don't see rail as ever paying for itself, so I am against it from that standpoint.

The commuter rail has been a cluster and as a stand alone product is a terrible concept.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Why doesn't Austin try to talk with the City Leaders of Houston and Dallas and find out what they did to get started?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:53 AM

22 posts, read 40,568 times
Could it be funds holding your rail back? Our "lite-rail" (as we call it) cost $71 million dollars a MILE. We have about 23 miles of service, going from north central Phoenix to south central Mesa, AZ. They had to stop adding more miles.....ran out of cash.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
I don't see rail as ever paying for itself, so I am against it from that standpoint.
There are lots of government projects that never pay for themselves, but not every government project is designed to make a profit. Take a look at convention centers for example. They are known for not making money as an isolated entity, yet nearly every city with a population of at least 200k people has one - why? Because it attracts large groups of people who then spend money in other areas of the city, which helps not only the local economy but generates tax revenue and improves the character of the city.

Often times, issues regarding projects of this magnitude are never black and white.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
Are there any plans/concepts of connecting Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio by rail?

*Upon searching, I found this:
http://www.neohouston.com/2009/09/te...il-the-routes/

Last edited by jacksonian; 10-09-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
I'm guessing Detroit has more problems than simply rail failure.

The commuter rail has been a cluster and as a stand alone product is a terrible concept.
I used to believe as you do but then heard a reasonable argument from one of my smart liberal friends that changed my mind. No government services "pay for themselves". That is not what government services are about. For example, central park in NYC certainly does not pay for itself, so should the city sell it off to get the $$? Of course not because it increases quality of life. What fraction of the austin population use zilker? Not very many, yet for those who it is important it is very important.

Effective light rail attracts the creative class and for those people who will use it extensively it is a must have. The city invests in it to attract those people who add to the overall attraction of austin. A good pool of those people create value for austin in attracting companies to austin as well as starting their own companies. High tech and creative people are generally progressive and they want their city to have those amenities (outdoors, public transit, arts etc).

Light rail wont pay for itself directly, but like parks, homeless shelters etc, they are something the city invests in to improve the quality of life and drive towards a vision of austin as a progressive, creative city.

Other things are arts, parks, summer programs, public pools, , rec centers etc etc

Old 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Even corporations don't design every product to make a profit, e.g. 'halo cars' like the Ford GT or 'green cars' like the original Honda Insight. The problem is how to quantify the benefits of light rail or a convention center but I suppose this is what consultants are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin