Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM

23 posts, read 120,091 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family and I are on the search for a nice small town (like the show"Gilmor Girls") with big front porches, a pretty downtown with older homes, good schools,nice family oriented people. All of this outside of a meduim size town with shopping, and things to do with the kids etc. We like the Austin area, and my husband is in construction(superintendent) unemployed right now but Texas still seems to be moving and shaking in the area of construction. Any suggestions on whether we can find this town? work opportunities?Sorry to sound so desperate but we are losing our current home and need a plan fast!
Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,729,166 times
There are actually so many. Bastrop, Smithville, Georgetown are only 3 that come to mind. Leander could be an option. There are a few West between Lake Travis and Lake buchanan as well.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 33,863 times
Wow...that is exactly what I am looking for too. Right now live in very cute town outside Memphis. Nice town square and beautiful front porch homes, very family friendly neighborhoods..but Memphis is the worst city! Love the town of Collierville TN that we are in.
Husband's job has us moving to Austin. I have looked at Georgetown TX. Check it out on web. Nice town square but not seeing those pretty southern front porch homes. Still trying to find more opinions on schools and there is a huge retirement base there. Posts have shown it still offers very family friendly to do, and town square seems to have many festivals, farmers market, and Friday night summer music.
Would love more info on surrounding towns to check out.....look up Georgetown...that seems to be our focus.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,479,085 times
Georgetown fits that description. The older homes that you're describing can be found in Old Town, just off of downtown - lots of them, really.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,027,657 times
If you're coming from out of state...

As a construction superintendent, he should probably have a good handle on Spanish. It'd definitely be a big selling point to any employers if not an outright requirement.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,235,001 times
If an hour from Austin isn't too far you have some other choices such as Burnet and Lampassas.

BTW - Burnet is pronounced like "DURN-it" not "burr-NETT'

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,742 times
Umm, I'm sorry but "gilmore girls" isn't to be found in Texas. The small towns tend to be focused on one thing: High School football.

Most "intellectuals" do not flock to small towns in TX. Small towns in TX are generally very conservative, very blue collar, and very clanish (they don't take to kindly to stangers round these parts).

And another thing, most folks don't sit on the porches as it is so dang hot.

I would be hesitant moving to TX with the mindset you described. Im afraid you'll be disappointed like I was.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,479,085 times
Boy, your posting style sounds familiar - as does your log-in name.

As one who lives in a TINY town in Texas (well, just outside of one, actually) and who has lived in small towns in Texas for varying periods of time throughout my life here, the comment that intellectuals are not found in small towns in Texas is laughable. Now, they won't be parading their intellectual prowess (that's more a big city thing, and only some parts of some big cities, at that), but if you hang around for a while you'll discover who the folks with advanced degrees and careers are who simply prefer to live in small towns. You'd never ever know without asking, and if you come in with the stereotype expressed here, chances are you'll NEVER know.

I'll have to tell my husband that he wasn't sitting on the porch this weekend. He'll find that interesting. Of course, our closest neighbor is across the road a quarter mile away (long driveway), so that probably doesn't count for these purposes.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 PM

786 posts, read 2,765,635 times
I had a good snooze on my porch after supper last night. It faces east and has a nice breeze. No problem in this heat!

Just sit out there, listen to the birds as the feeder, and tell the deer I'm not serving supper yet.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,800,812 times
Georgetown immediately came to mind as your Gilmore-girlish town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin