Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure who to report this to. I'm hoping Austin has some jurisdiction over it, I have found an area of Barton Creek, out between Hwy 71 and Musket Rim road, where it looks like the property owner next to Barton Creek has bulldozed the creek to create a dam and private swimming pool in the creek bed. A substantial area of land around the dam has been disturbed. You can see this in Google Maps satellite view. Go to the culdesac at the end of Musket Rim and look at the creek directly East of it. There is a large rectangular pool and a dam across the creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Do you mean this:

musket rim st austin, tx - Google Maps

Are you sure it's a swimming pool? It looks like there might be a gate entry from the opposite side of the property, almost like a fire road might be down there. Could be an irrigation or retention pond of some sort, at least judging from the Google maps view. Have you seen it in person? I don't see any typical landscaping, walkways/access from the home, or other things to indicate a recreational pool (diving board, benches/chairs, etc).

I'll be the county knows what it is. You could try calling them (Travis). Possibly the LCRA or the fire department for that area. If it's in the google maps satellite images, I believe it's at least 3 years old. The google maps satellite image of my house is from 2005; I think the rest of the Austin-area imagery is about the same vintage. Street view is newer.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,854 times
That's a pretty big frickin house. I see what you mean, it looks like a manmade swimming hole along the creek. atxcio is probably right, LCRA knows about it. They have monitoring stations along every river and creek in the watershed and there are ponds and dams about this same size throughout. Good stewardship on your part though sir. There are enough people trying to sustain gd tropical jungles on their properties around here, we don't need water diverted by homeowners as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
No I have not been on the property, its private, isolated and hard to get to. I just happened to be browsing the area in google maps and that large disturbed area of white soil just sort of jumped out at me, its so obviously manmade.

I can't see any sign of a low water crossing or fire road on the other side.

The dam is in Austin's ETJ and the disturbed area downstream (north) of it is in Bee Caves. Here is a satellite image showing the site in 2003 (left) & 2006 (right), the yellow area is Austin's ETJ. You can see they started the modifications after the large house was built.

http://www.pbase.com/cptinrn/image/1...8/original.jpg

Here is a birds eye view showing bulldozers down in the creek after the house was built.

http://www.pbase.com/cptinrn/image/1...3/original.jpg

The area of white disturbed soil shown currently in google maps is even more recent.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,586 times
Isn't this one of Lance's houses? The Real Estalker: Lance Armstrong's Hill Country Hideaway

Oh wait, my bad. No, I guess we've found ANOTHER damn dam.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,319 times
If you found it on Google Earth then, little can likely be done about it, as its already been long finished.. as another poster said, most imagery is 3-5 years old... cant complain though.. as its FREE!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Actually, if someone has illegally dammed the 'waters of the state' recently (3-5 years being very recent), the Corps of Engineers or, acting on their behalf, the TCEQ, can and will remove the obstruction.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,319 times
Well, certainly I in no way intended to take away from the good work of pointing it out. I just wish Google Earth was updated a bit more often, but again, cant complain, its a free svs. I didnt think they would be able to do much about it (shows what I know!) We need someone from the county or on the street to check it out present day. Chances are it was "legal" anyway.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,047 times
Dams must be permitted through the City. And if the dam retains natural waters, I believe you must claim or apply for water rights to said waters through the TCEQ. For some reason, I doubt that land owner has water rights to Barton Creek.

Anyways, why wouldn't you just build a pool if you were that desperate for a swimming hole? I have a feeling we're missing something pretty major here. Maybe the county did it for some odd reason?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,738 times
It is of little interest to most near any and every body except a few idiots. The damn will not hold back all the water and when the hole is filled it will flow through. It is quit dry now and the las few years this might be some repair work and nothing more. Curious and jealous folks seem to get in the way to often. The damn will allow the water to flow over or through a spill way and the water will leave the sedment in the lake so the water will be cleaner. Frank Bowers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin