Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,904,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Ah ha! They finally did a google streets for my neighborhood. For some reason that left that out in the last pass.....and my car is in the driveway ! Those pictures must be from last fall, before we trimmed our big tree, but not much older than that.....
Yeah, it's a bummer that street view came by Austin during winter in a drought! Everything looks brown and bare. Still, you can get a general idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM

105 posts, read 380,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Keep in mind that those in Mueller are on very tiny lots. They are essentially condos. That's not evident in the photos on the builder site (when are those ever accurate,huh?)... better to get an idea with Street View:

At over 2000 sf I'd hardly call them condos. Yes the yard house lots are very small, but trust me, I live in a tiny apartment now and one of those houses would be a mansion in comparison. Anyway, I'm not interested in living in Mueller because of the uncertain school situation.

But I love that style of architecture as opposed to the (in my opinion) more bland suburban style of houses in Cedar Park. Of course those houses are nice and big but they don't have much character. I love this plan especially:

Armstrong

If homes in this sort of bungalow/craftsman style are being built in RR or SW, I'd love to know more!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
No good street view of Ash Creek's similar homes, I think they are too new. But this was the community I was thinking of in NW Austin: Ash Creek Homes - Austin area homebuilder for over 25 years
Those are cute!! I bet this development has been talked about a lot on this board.. going to do some searching.

What about in Circle C? Anything similar?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM

hominatx, thanks for the honest feedback. We have the age old dilemma... we want the vibe of the city but can't afford a big enough space... I'm trying to keep an open mind about the suburbs because I know there are a lot of plusses. Especially since we're priced out of so many central neighborhoods.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,126,008 times
It sounds like you might like Vintage Place in Circle C. Might be just above your price range but worth a look.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,010,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Ah ha! They finally did a google streets for my neighborhood. For some reason that left that out in the last pass.....and my car is in the driveway !

LMAO

hmmm, an undesirable...

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,440,617 times
Again, to each his own. Don't let this post sway you from checking out SW Austin, it is beautiful down here. Hardly what I would call Purgatory, remember that's just this poster's opinion. Come and take a look for yourself, I'm sure you will find it to be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
"If I want to avoid the strip mall / shopping center / chain store / olive garden vibe of the suburbs, am I better off in one or the other or neither?"

Lady Longhorn 2. If you want to avoid what you describe above, the only honest answer is neither. If you expect anything like an urban life, the difference btw RR/CP and SW Austin is the difference between Hell and Purgatory. SW is purgatory - it is a little prettier and easier to get out of. Most of the Austin Metro is exactly what you say you want to avoid. If some kind of urban as opposed to a suburban vibe is your priority - you need to be north of oltorf, south of 2222, actually south of 53rd street, but I am feeling generous, and the North Loop area is increasingly walkable and interesting, east of Mopac and west of Airport Boulevard, and even there, with the exception of downtown proper - the river to MLK, and Lamar to I35, and the areas adjacent to the U.T. campus, these are mostly just older first ring suburbs, but there will be sidewalks, better public transport, coffee shops, bars, restaurants, entertainment options that you can walk to, and you don't have to get on a highway to go downtown. To be in these areas, you will pay a lot of more - some places more than others and the schools are more uneven than in RR/CP or SW, but if you want to avoid the "vibe of the suburbs," good luck doing that outside central Austin. Not really intending to flame here, just trying to answer the OP truthfully.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Yes, Steve that's what I was talking about, the shops west of Mopac. Also, the new Parkside Village with the Drafthouse and also Wildflower Commons near the Wildflower Center that is going to be totally green built.
I guess I've never seen those!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 AM

347 posts, read 1,568,957 times
OK, let me just say that Cedar Park is NOT like RR! RR is massive urban sprawl and Cedar Park most defintely is not. All the big box stores are either in the Lakeline Area (which is Austin technically) or up on 1431, where there is not much residential.

The new parts of Twin Creeks off of Anderson Mill in Cedar Park are really darling craftsman style home in all sizes. Some of them have gorgeous hill country views.

There is a light rail station in Leander and one in Lakeline behind Kohls. Hopefully they'll be running this summer.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,069,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
"If I want to avoid the strip mall / shopping center / chain store / olive garden vibe of the suburbs, am I better off in one or the other or neither?"

Lady Longhorn 2. If you want to avoid what you describe above, the only honest answer is neither. If you expect anything like an urban life, the difference btw RR/CP and SW Austin is the difference between Hell and Purgatory. SW is purgatory - it is a little prettier and easier to get out of. Most of the Austin Metro is exactly what you say you want to avoid. If some kind of urban as opposed to a suburban vibe is your priority - you need to be north of oltorf, south of 2222, actually south of 53rd street, but I am feeling generous, and the North Loop area is increasingly walkable and interesting, east of Mopac and west of Airport Boulevard, and even there, with the exception of downtown proper - the river to MLK, and Lamar to I35, and the areas adjacent to the U.T. campus, these are mostly just older first ring suburbs, but there will be sidewalks, better public transport, coffee shops, bars, restaurants, entertainment options that you can walk to, and you don't have to get on a highway to go downtown. To be in these areas, you will pay a lot of more - some places more than others and the schools are more uneven than in RR/CP or SW, but if you want to avoid the "vibe of the suburbs," good luck doing that outside central Austin. Not really intending to flame here, just trying to answer the OP truthfully.
I think this is a very fair assessment. We lived in-city when we were in Seattle but moved here for a less expensive existence. To do that we had to abandon in-city living. Despite my husband working north we are purchasing SW because 1) it is still close enough in that when I go back to work, I will have a manageable commute 2) we like the topography here better, and 3) while it's still the suburbs, it just feels less suburby then when we looked up in RR and Cedar Park. It think 3 has more to do with being able to get to downtown in 10 minutes rather than 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin