Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

I think it is popular to complain about teaching to the test. Parents find a way to blame schools for anything that doesn't go perfectly for their fat, lazy, whiny children.

The TAKS tests are EASY for most English-speaking kids who go to class and grew up with expectations of doing well in school.

My kids have been in the Lake Travis ISD from the beginning. Yes they practice the TAKS to make sure the kids know what is coming. But my kids daily work, their projects, etc. are not driven by the TAKS. My 9th grade daughter's wildflower project is not part of TAKS. My 11th grade son's 4 times a year physics projects teach physics.

Lakeway elementary is an excellent school. So is Lake Travis elementary, even though it is Recognized instead of Exemplary. The real difference between those schools - just a few miles apart - is demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan777 View Post
So when parents are complain about the school "teaching to the test" is literally means just that, that the school teaches to have kids pass the test.

I do take every review with a ten ton grain of salt of course. I just want my daughter to to a good school.

Some of the schools I am looking at that have great scores are Deer Creek Elementary, Forest Trail Elementary, Cypress Elementary, Lake Pointe Elementary, Bridge Point Elementary, Barton Creek Elementary, River Place Elementary, Steiner Ranch Elementary, Laura Welch Bush Elementary, Canyon Creek Elementary, Valley View Elementary and, Lakeway Elementary School. Does anyone have kids that go to these schools?

What I am trying to figure out is if the testing is a good measurement/metric to determine if a school is good or not.
I think it's a good measurement. Not the end all, but a good measurement.

I prefer a quantitative measurement (like the Taks).... over a subjective measurement (like the Exemplary/Recognized measurements). But these pieces of info deliver two of many items to consider for a school choice.

Here's a link I found helpful (the great school site is good too, but this delivers quick info):

Texas School Performance Maps

I just wish they had the 2008 info loaded onto it.

I'm familiar with two of the schools on that you mentioned....& although the Taks is mentioned & practice tests take place.....they certainly don't "teach to the test".

But not knowing fractions well or punctuation well would definitely be revealed on a practice test (which probably isn't a bad thing).

Old 05-01-2009, 11:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
I would never fully entrust the education of my child to another person whether I was paying them in taxes or tuition to a private school.

You are the first in line when it comes to educating your child. You should have been helping your child from the git-go. That is the bottom line.

Wow, the you should haves are coming on strong. Did you not read and comprehend what I typed?

I do help her, and as I suspected her math was lacking, but the teacher didn't think so, by the teacher conferences and grades. That was my only qualm.

One thing that really bugs me is they get time to do their homework at school several days of the week, and none gets brought home. I see a paper here and a paper there. Another thing I got told was not to help or correct homework, that way the teacher would know what to teach. WTF?? I still do especially when I saw how confused she was.

The checks and balances didn't cross each other out, and I only find out after the TAKS test results. Obviously the teacher does not have the time to do what she is sincerely trying to accomplish with each individual child.

I know one thing, teaching is much different, then when I was taught.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

I do help her, and as I suspected her math was lacking, but the teacher didn't think so, by the teacher conferences and grades. That was my only qualm.

One thing that really bugs me is they get time to do their homework at school several days of the week, and none gets brought home. I see a paper here and a paper there. Another thing I got told was not to help or correct homework, that way the teacher would know what to teach. WTF?? I still do especially when I saw how confused she was.
That sounds like a very frustrating situation! And one designed to cut parents out of the equation. I'd be livid. You probably can't change the system of teaching at that school but you can take charge and make sure your daughters learns what she need to know.

Your involvement will make the difference.

good luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I heard on the radio about half an hour ago that there was a representative (or Senator?) from Plano who is also trying to change the testing to something where each student is rated individually (graded, not rated) and also base this on their college readiness. I know that doesn't make much sense coming from me...I'm not the best at repeating information sometimes. But, another poster described the test scores/rankings including entire ethnic groups and even if one group scores lower on the test then the whole school gets a lower rating...She wants to change it to individual merit, not group basically. I don't know if this would get rid of the Acceptable, Recognized, Exemplary, Unacceptable ratings or not...they didn't mention that.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I heard on the radio about half an hour ago that there was a representative (or Senator?) from Plano who is also trying to change the testing to something where each student is rated individually (graded, not rated) and also base this on their college readiness. I know that doesn't make much sense coming from me...I'm not the best at repeating information sometimes. But, another poster described the test scores/rankings including entire ethnic groups and even if one group scores lower on the test then the whole school gets a lower rating...She wants to change it to individual merit, not group basically. I don't know if this would get rid of the Acceptable, Recognized, Exemplary, Unacceptable ratings or not...they didn't mention that.
They DO break out the scores by demographic group. The information is useful - to potentially identify corrective measures. It is also useful to see how children of the same demographic as you do on the tests.

But the school campus needs to be rated in total. I would had to see a school rated Exemplary for Caucasian kids.

Remember too that TEA ratings are not based just on TAKS scores. Dropout rate and other factors are part of the overall score.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Wow, the you should haves are coming on strong. Did you not read and comprehend what I typed?

The checks and balances didn't cross each other out, and I only find out after the TAKS test results. Obviously the teacher does not have the time to do what she is sincerely trying to accomplish with each individual child.

I know one thing, teaching is much different, then when I was taught.
This is really stupid (by the teacher). Parental involvement is a huge positive factor in a child's achievement in school.

What school is this?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
My son is in the 10th grade. He said this tears tests were easy. He has said that every year.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM

76 posts, read 146,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMADS View Post
I'm also on the process of looking for elementary schools in the area. I want to warn you that some of the schools you have mentioned are not accepting transfers, some for specific grades, others not at all. I am not sure if that means that they are not accepting any new students, even if you do live within its boundaries. Just something to look into ... as if you don't have already enough on your mind! I know I do!
Perhaps somebody else knows more about this?!
Thanks for pointing that out! Oh geez, now I have that much more to worry about. I guess I have to call the schools one by one and figure out if they are accepting students.

What happens if they are not and I do live in the district? Does my daughter go to the next nearest school?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan777 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out! Oh geez, now I have that much more to worry about. I guess I have to call the schools one by one and figure out if they are accepting students.

What happens if they are not and I do live in the district? Does my daughter go to the next nearest school?
No, no, no! If you live within the attendance boundaries you have a place in the school. Don't worry. Transfers are a separate matter. You aren't trying to transfer, just attend your local school.

Now, attendance zone boundaries can shift, so if you have your heart set on a certain school, call the district or check the district website before you buy and make sure that the house or apartment is in the attendance zone that is claimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: