Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 AM

165 posts, read 548,609 times

Advertisements

How bad is your commute anywhere in Austin with the toll structures in place? I read the local online 'paper' about this headache. Can you get around Austin without using these toll roads -- there's something like 4 toll roads with a 5th in the works.

I havent had to use a toll road (unless in a beach town) and the thought of that many toll structures in place for such a smaller city is perplexing.

Also, does Austin experience a heavy flow of traffic as people and freight head/to from Mexico or the coastal areas (like S. Padre)? Is austin a warehouse hub for shipment to the midwest or is Houston - due to the ports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:45 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Most people can probably get around without using the toll road if they want. I live SW and never drive on a toll road to get to from anywhere in town, although I probably could/would if I was heading northwest of town.

Lots of big rig traffic on I-35, but very little of it every stops or leaves the interstate. I also only drive on I-35 about once or twice a year.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Most people can probably get around without using the toll road if they want. I live SW and never drive on a toll road to get to from anywhere in town, although I probably could/would if I was heading northwest of town.

Lots of big rig traffic on I-35, but very little of it every stops or leaves the interstate. I also only drive on I-35 about once or twice a year.
Live in S. Austin, or SW Austin.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
It's relatively easy to get around without using the toll roads. Was before they were built, still is, albeit they did work to make it a little more difficult for reasons that are no doubt obvious. I live about 50 miles north of Austin, and travel the entire area on a regular basis on business; this advice covers pretty much the whole area.

SH130 was supposed to alleviate the 18 wheeler traffic from IH35, but so far, when I've used SH 130, I've seen one 18 wheeler on it once (others report seeing more, but I've been keeping an eye out and so far, only the one). However, on IH35, which I'm on regularly, I am always within eye shot of 6 or more. Off of IH35, though, I rarely see them.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:49 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
SH130 was supposed to alleviate the 18 wheeler traffic from IH35, but so far, when I've used SH 130, I've seen one 18 wheeler on it once (others report seeing more, but I've been keeping an eye out and so far, only the one). However, on IH35, which I'm on regularly, I am always within eye shot of 6 or more. Off of IH35, though, I rarely see them.
Hopefully this'll be alleviated a little when the southern part of 130 is complete and connected to 35 in the near future. What 18-wheeler would want to drive 130 now only to have to take 183/21 or something similar to get back onto 35 as it is now?

And just to state in addition... I only drive the toll roads when going to Lakeline Mall (Cedar Park) or to the Airport (from Round Rock).

Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
How bad is your commute anywhere in Austin with the toll structures in place? I read the local online 'paper' about this headache. Can you get around Austin without using these toll roads -- there's something like 4 toll roads with a 5th in the works.

I havent had to use a toll road (unless in a beach town) and the thought of that many toll structures in place for such a smaller city is perplexing.

Also, does Austin experience a heavy flow of traffic as people and freight head/to from Mexico or the coastal areas (like S. Padre)? Is austin a warehouse hub for shipment to the midwest or is Houston - due to the ports?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "toll structures in place" - if you mean the toll roads or the construction of the southern toll roads, but there was a pretty recent thread on the toll road impact on traffic in suburbs north of austin: https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...toll-road.html

Not sure if that answers your question...

Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
Hopefully this'll be alleviated a little when the southern part of 130 is complete and connected to 35 in the near future. What 18-wheeler would want to drive 130 now only to have to take 183/21 or something similar to get back onto 35 as it is now?

And just to state in addition... I only drive the toll roads when going to Lakeline Mall (Cedar Park) or to the Airport (from Round Rock).
I'm hoping - but the toll road already goes to 290 and would be a great way for the trucks to head over to Houston and avoid having to drive through Austin to get to 290 to do so. So far, they don't seem to be doing so, at least not from the north (130 connects to IH35 just two exits south of the one to my place).

Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,942 times
I drive 130 and my husband drives 45 every day. We love the toll roads. Convenient, clean, safe and quick. Sure, you can get around without them, but if they're there who wouldn't use them?

I hope the trucks don't come onto 130! It's a straight shot and a beautiful drive to/from downtown every day!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM

The reason the trucks are mentioned is that they were the reason given to us to garner our support of 130 being built in the first place, that they would remove a very dangerous situation of having semis on I35 through downtown Austin. So it's notable that this doesn't seem to be happening as yet.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,345 times
My thought is that there aren't that many trucks driving through Austin to get to 290 to get to Houston, are there? I could see a few trucks that are traveling directly to Austin and the immediate surrounding area using 290 back and forth to Houston. I'd assume a huge majority... very close to 100%... of the trucks on 35 are (at least) doing Dallas to SA and beyond in both directions. If a truck was wanting to get to Houston, it'd be on 10 from SA or 45 from Dallas.

With all of that said, that's why I think 130 has not effected 18 wheeler traffic at all... it was touted as a bypass 35 in downtown... well the bypass is not complete yet because there is not an easy way back onto 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin