Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation from Traverse City, Michigan to Austin, Texas, looking for good neighborhoods to rent homes or apartments, low to mid range rental prices, South Austin pagan meet-ups

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 6,330 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to move to Austin this summer. We live in frigid Traverse City, MI, a place we've become convinced is not easy to survive in on your own if you're under 30. (aka pre-professional and wanting education) Currently we are making plans and saving up funds to haul ourselves away.
Here are our reasons for choosing Austin-
* We want to live someplace warm. Scratch that, hot. Michigan is ice-cold half of the year and cast-over with clouds at least that long. Bring on the intense heat and glaring sun.
* We are vegetarians, and Austin has many veg-friendly features to make it more of a manageable lifestyle for us.
* We hear Austin has some green leanings and some public transit. Because it's warm, you can walk some places, sometimes. This sounds wonderful.
* We're in our 20's and love music. 'Nuff said.
* We want to get back into college, in due time. UT is a GREAT school, and it's not alone for options in the area.
* The economy looks much, much better there versus here. Michigan is drowning fast. I only need base-level employment at a store or coffee shop, and my husband will have his CNA to help him find work in a high-demand field anywhere.
* We're pagan and see that there is some religious diversity and acceptance of different lifestyles in the laid-back atmosphere of the city.
So, aside from planning out how we're getting there and saving cash, what else could we be doing, or should we know, before leaving for our new home? One specific question is, what sounds like a good neighborhood for us to rent an an apartment in? We need rent to be low-to-mid range, so nothing too fancy. I just want to hear any response that comes to mind from people actually residing in Austin! Any advice is welcome! (please no "I hope you're not trying to find a utopia by moving" stuff, we've covered that many times already with family)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 PM

139 posts, read 451,830 times
Might want to look for apartments in South Austin

Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,494,022 times
I agree with that - South Austin is likely where you want to be, given your interests and requirements. You also might want to check out CMA and the Unitarian Church at 4700 Grover (another area you might look at for an apartment).

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM

132 posts, read 497,886 times
There is an active pagan community in Austin, of which a few of my friends are members. The hold weekly social events in Austin and outings on the weekends.

Link to one of the groups:

The South Austin Pagan Meetup Group (Austin, TX) - Meetup.com

If you want a more personal contact, send me an email: cheesecakewizard @ gmail.com.

As far as hot goes, last year Austin experienced 67 days (at least) of temperatures of 100 degrees or more. The humidity is also noticeable. I highly recommend hydrating every day you're planning to do an outside activity.

Lastly, you'll find easy access to outdoor activities and social life no matter where you live in Austin. South Austin does tend to support a more crunchy lifestyle in that you'll see more funky houses & shops v. North Austin.

Either way, good luck!

D

Old 03-16-2009, 02:52 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,243,183 times
If south austin is too expensive for you (I highly recommend it as well), then try checking out the 78741 area code. It's just south of downtown and just east of 35. There are some sketchy sections and some really nice ones, so you'll need to do a little exploring. It's much less expensive than the 78704 area code (which would probably be my #1 choice since it's fun, funky, & close to downtown). Good luck! You're going to love Austin!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,494,022 times
You could also try 78745.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Thanks to all of you for so much response!!! It's exciting to see that the pagan community is not too tiny- thanks for the link, dburatti! I will check out South Austin and all the zips given to me. Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,111,451 times
All I have to say is be careful for what you wish for. There will be plenty of heat to go around...don't over do it your first time here. And I would not encourage walking in late July/early August very far. The bus routes will be your friend.

And just remember to repeat...you wanted some place hot. And at least we didn't move to the Valley!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,045,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeswideopen23 View Post
My husband and I are going to move to Austin this summer. We live in frigid Traverse City, MI, a place we've become convinced is not easy to survive in on your own if you're under 30. (aka pre-professional and wanting education) Currently we are making plans and saving up funds to haul ourselves away.
Here are our reasons for choosing Austin-
* We want to live someplace warm. Scratch that, hot. Michigan is ice-cold half of the year and cast-over with clouds at least that long. Bring on the intense heat and glaring sun.
* We are vegetarians, and Austin has many veg-friendly features to make it more of a manageable lifestyle for us.
* We hear Austin has some green leanings and some public transit. Because it's warm, you can walk some places, sometimes. This sounds wonderful.
* We're in our 20's and love music. 'Nuff said.
* We want to get back into college, in due time. UT is a GREAT school, and it's not alone for options in the area.
* The economy looks much, much better there versus here. Michigan is drowning fast. I only need base-level employment at a store or coffee shop, and my husband will have his CNA to help him find work in a high-demand field anywhere.
* We're pagan and see that there is some religious diversity and acceptance of different lifestyles in the laid-back atmosphere of the city.
So, aside from planning out how we're getting there and saving cash, what else could we be doing, or should we know, before leaving for our new home? One specific question is, what sounds like a good neighborhood for us to rent an an apartment in? We need rent to be low-to-mid range, so nothing too fancy. I just want to hear any response that comes to mind from people actually residing in Austin! Any advice is welcome! (please no "I hope you're not trying to find a utopia by moving" stuff, we've covered that many times already with family)

I would say make that move, but come there for a week and see if you like it.....I did the same "I'm moving to Austin"....telling everyone as if it was a done deal before even seeing the place....and I found it was different in many ways than I pictured/idealized it......that being said, I learned to trim expectations and loved it for what it is........just a great
college city like Ann Arbor basically is what it is, but larger.......its no utopia by any means, but I think your family is just looking out for you....
if you move there, they will be happy for you......I think we learn many other life lessons by not expecting utopias, including relationships themselves....indeed, idealizing and such can be a trap........but some places are better fits than others......Austin is a good one for someone your age that isn't looking to light the world afire career-wise, so can chuck the major metros with the big salaries and opportunities.......

Just keep in mind that there are hiring freezes all over Austin, in both the Public AND Private sector.....and that you may have to work at retail or anything you can get to make ends meet till you find what you need....
and bring money too.....I would bring at least 7-20K to tide both of you over....please don't come with just a couple thousand.........

Good luck to you guys...

Last edited by inthecut; 03-17-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I would say make that move, but come there for a week and see if you like it.....I did the same "I'm moving to Austin"....telling everyone as if it was a done deal before even seeing the place....and I found it was different in many ways than I pictured/idealized it......that being said, I learned to trim expectations and loved it for what it is........just a great
college city like Ann Arbor basically is what it is, but larger.......its no utopia by any means, but I think your family is just looking out for you....
if you move there, they will be happy for you......I think we learn many other life lessons by not expecting utopias, including relationships themselves....indeed, idealizing and such can be a trap........but some places are better fits than others......Austin is a good one for someone your age that isn't looking to light the world afire career-wise, so can chuck the major metros with the big salaries and opportunities.......

Just keep in mind that there are hiring freezes all over Austin, in both the Public AND Private sector.....and that you may have to work at retail or anything you can get to make ends meet till you find what you need....
and bring money too.....I would bring at least 7-20K to tide both of you over....please don't come with just a couple thousand.........

Good luck to you guys...
First of all I would like to ask- what exactly did you tell me about Austin that was related to my question? I've seen your threads- it seems like page after page of "I love Austin but here's 50,000 reasons why you shouldn't come here. . ." I said, point blank, that I didn't need advice on whether or not to make the move, and that I had funds saved for the trip. You assume I haven't been to Austin- I was born in San Antonio. I have relatives in Fort Worth, Houston, and Austin itself. And my family happens to be supportive of the move- they just want to make sure I'm not expecting life to be perfect once I get to some ideal place. So, allow me to reiterate- I'm not in need of advice on those particular aspects of moving.

Secondly, you sound incredibly out of touch with the phase of life I'm at, to the point that it is offensive. Suggesting that I would need 10 to 20 grand in my pocket is ludicrous. I am a college student. Lets try to be the teeniest bit realistic. My husband and I will not be wealthy, or even in the position to buy our first home, for at least 10 years, regardless of location. Also, I not only "may have to" work retail, I PLAN on it. (or something of a similar strain) Thanks for insinuating it's an undesirable position for someone like me- a 22 year old woman wanting to work her way through school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin