Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,019 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband and I are thinking of moving to live in the US in retirement (we are 60) having lived most of our lives in Europe and Asia. {Climate (we love the heat which is why we are thinking of leaving Europe) and neighbours are the 2 most important considerations.}

We would like to live among reasonably intellectual people, with an interntionalist's perspective on foreign affairs.

We would prefer to live outside the city centre, and somewhere flat. We love walking but a longterm foot injury, brought on by too much hillwalking (!) means I have to avoid hills, so the hilly suburbs to the west of Austin are out unfortunately.

We would really appreciate any suggestions on which parts of Austin might appeal.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 AM

543 posts, read 1,741,956 times
If by outside the city centre you mean outside the "downtown", I think your best bet is Hyde Park or Hancock. Lots of professionals and UT professors and grad students living in the area. Also lots of undergrads but not all of their interests are focused on the "intellectual"

Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Rosedale comes immediately to mind, fairly flat, nice places to walk to, lots of UT profs and professionals. Part of Tarrytown are fairly flat too.

You need a really great real estate agent to help you.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,874 times
Hyde Park or Travis Heights. Tarrytown too but it's very pricey.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
I have lots of intellectual friends in Rollingwood, not sure about the 'walkability'.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,019 times
Thank you all for your very quick and helpful replies. We will check out all the neighbourhoods mentioned. I had wondered about Hyde Park and Tarrytown from comments on other websites so it's good to get them reinforced, along with some new places. Certainly it seems Austin will offer the sort of neighbourhoods and people that we would enjoy. The weather has been fabulous until today, but perhaps Austin thought it was being friendly by providing the 'English' weather to make us feel at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin