Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 PM

111 posts, read 295,029 times

Advertisements

I am will be in Austin in March, and will be needing to furnish my apartment upon arrival. I was wondering if there is a good place in/around Austin, preferably with a website, where I can get reasonably priced furniture?

I need a queen sized bed, a sleeper couch, two computer desks, a crib, a dining table and four chairs for the dining table. What I had planned to spend is as follows:

Queen sized bed frame and mattresses- 600ish total.
Sleeper couch- 400ish
Dining room chairs x4- 100
Dining room table- 125
Computer desks x2- 200
Computer chairs x2- 100

Do you think that this is reasonable? Remember, those are total costs, not costs of an individual. I don't need luxury or anything, but I don't want it to be complete crap either.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Have you looked at Ikea? You can find reasonably priced furniture there that's somewhat decent. Also look at Target - they have some pretty decent stuff inexpensively.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Check Walmart on line. They actually have a very large range of furniture from leading "flat pack" manufacturers. And most of the items have customer reviews.

We purchased a very nice hardwood and glass media tower from there, and also a full bedroom set for my daughter. The pricing worked out cheaper than Sears for the exact same items.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Rooms to Go has those prices. Not the best quality but in your price range. You can get a decent bed from Crate and Barrel Housewares for that price. Their stuff is much more stylish and better quality. I'm not really a fan of RTG.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 AM

111 posts, read 295,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Rooms to Go has those prices. Not the best quality but in your price range. You can get a decent bed from Crate and Barrel Housewares for that price. Their stuff is much more stylish and better quality. I'm not really a fan of RTG.
I am not sure if Rooms to Go has a different selection inside their stores, but online, their mattress sets were pretty much all over a 1000 dollars, so way out of my range. Crate and Barrel was also quite expensive. Thank you very much for your input though.

I checked out wal-mart online, but I just feel weird about getting a mattress from Wal-Mart... And those "Mattress in a box" things scare the crap out of me...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
OK, here's a tip on mattresses. Factory Mattrress has a store on Manchaca where they carry their mismatched sets, closeouts, etc. I bought an $1100 set there last year for half price because it was last year's model (like mattresses go out of style, LOL?). Anyway, it's worth a look see. You can buy one of the metal frames for $30 and then scout craigslist or garage sales for a nicer headboard/etc.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Try buying used. I didn't see that you wanted a bed and mattress for 600. Maybe you can get a headboard and mattress for that.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,017 times
Janine Charland of Metamorphosis for Homes has a shopping guide on her web site. She's always looking for deals and posts them when she finds them. Her site is Home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: