Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 PM

28 posts, read 77,257 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

It's time to move, and we are looking for a better Elementary school. We found the Gables Westlake that goes to Bridge Point Elementary in Eanes district. I'm a little nervous though, since it's 90% Caucasian...I don't want my kinder to feel alienated/strange/or experience racism at his young age. But at that kinder level....kids are oblivious to race, aren't they? We are coming from an overly diverse school, so that's also why I'm a little concerned.

Does anyone have any input on this school? I went inside, but it was towards the end of school, and I did not get to see much. I know it's the biggest of the elementary schools, with 850?? students, compared to the other Eanes elementary schools.

Also, does anyone have any input on Gables Westlake? It's a fairly new property, and there were NO reviews, even though it's over a year old.

We currently live in the Arboretum area, and I hate to move away from this area...because it's SOOO CONVENIENT!! But we need to find a better school, and better apartment. I'm a little tired of living in an older apartment and all the things we have to deal with.

I will also check out Riata tomorrow, because I hear it feeds into Caraway Elementary school.

I've been searching for 2 weeks now, have visited many schools, and am getting burned out...so any input is appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 AM

361 posts, read 1,164,244 times
Great school. Know nothing of the apartments.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,574 times
or what about the apartments on 620 that feed into Canyon Creek Elementary. That's a great school with some diversity.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times
All I know is from the school ratings Texas Education Agency - Welcome to the Texas Education Agency From what I see in the booklet I have on school ratings Eanes is ALL EXEMPLARY. But, of course it is...that is where all the money resides. Not meant to sound sarcastic...just telling it like it is. Our culture equates literally everything with $$. Well, ok, not everyone does that but it's pretty much mainstream. If your child attends Eanes ISD they can later in life say, "I attended Eanes". Then people will ouuu, and ahhhh.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
I would go drive around the area that feeds into Bridgepoint. These are some seriously expensive and GRAND homes. Are you comfortable with your little one going to playdates there and hosting them at your apartment? Socialization is a huge thing for kindergarten and early elementary. I'm not taking either side here, but give this some serious consideration. Some people are perfectly fine with having more or less than others, others not so much. Go into it with your eyes wide open and you- and more importantly, your child- will be fine.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I know Canyon Creek Elem is a great school, but it's a little far. Dh commutes to downtown daily. But thanks for the suggestion.

As for feeling comfortable with hosting playdates, etc....we don't do very many play dates now. The Gables Westlake is an apt, but it's a pretty nice apartment, so I wouldn't feel too embarrassed if I had a child coming over. Though...I know what you mean. We drove around and looked at the massive McMansions, and I was blown away.

Today, I looked at Riata. We liked it, but it's strange...it's the same price as Gables, but I get more for my money at the Gables property...for around 1100-1230.00.

I did like the playground at Caraway (which 1/2 of Riata feeds into) much better than Bridgepoint....though I won't base the decision on just the playground.

Thanks so much guys for the input...really appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 134,743 times
When it comes to checking schools ratings in different categories, one of the best places I have found to have that information is greatschools.net.

Great site.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks Yakzone,

Yes, I checked greatschools.net, and it is a wonderful site. The school looks great on stats, tests, etc, but I guess I wanted to hear more...if someone's kids had gone there, or friend's kids had gone there.
But yes, that website helped immensely. Gave me a starting point when I started researching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin