Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times

Advertisements

where do most here go skiing and hiking for the season, Colorado, New Mexico, etc? how are is CS from Austin and do people drive it or fly, take a train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,717 times
If you want to hike MOUNTAINS, yes. Otherwise, there's plenty of great hiking here and great trails right in Austin.

Skiing- yes, you have to travel. New Mexico & Colorado are the closest skiing destinations. There's no such thing as a 3 hour drive to the mountains here.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:04 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
For some terrain, Big Bend, New Mexico, or Colorado (or Ozarks in Arkansas). Lots of decent hiking relatively nearby, though, just not big mountains. No skiing in state (Mt. Aggie does not count ). Mostly driving and/or flying...Amtrak is too limited/expensive, generally.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Everyone I know who has gone skiing from Austin has flown to Colorado and rented a car from the airport

Some friends flew to El Paso and drove thru the NM mountains north but that was for the road trip not just the skiing. Big Bend gets mixed reviews from people I have met (I haven't been there) - if you love fishing/hunting etc apparently it's good, and there are some fun pre-organized gourmet camping trips available with horseback, canoe/kayak etc. Others think it's pretty dull for the 8-hour drive and would rather fly to somewhere more interesting. Diff'rent folks!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM

324 posts, read 1,312,089 times
big bend grows on you. you have to appreciate how isolated and desolate and arid. and if you are ever there in the spring when the first showers arrive forcing the cacti blooms to explode, it's pretty darn amazin

Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,505 times
For skiing, I would head to either Colorado, northern NM near Taos or Ruidoso. Of course there's plenty of hiking in those states, but if you want to stay in Texas...

I just spent 5 days camping and hiking in Big bend last month and my wife and I thought it was pretty amazing. And yes, we've backpacked and camped in NM, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, AZ, California and all throughout the NE. Big Bend is a desert mountain region with the Chisos mountains being the lone exception. This means lots of cactus and rock with scarce water resources. There are some very unique things to Big Bend, so it's not just about "mountains" and "scenery". It's also very remote and sort of a "no frills" National Park. All good as far as I'm concerned.

There's also Guadalupe Mountains National park which I have yet to visit.

But if you're looking for mountains with tall pine trees, deep woods, mountain lakes and lots of streams, you won't like Big Bend. That leaves it uncrowded for the people who like it.

Here's a few pics I took last month (click to expand):
Attached Thumbnails
when folks want real hiking and skiing and camping, do they go to Colorado from Austin?-lost-mine.jpg   when folks want real hiking and skiing and camping, do they go to Colorado from Austin?-moonrise.jpg   when folks want real hiking and skiing and camping, do they go to Colorado from Austin?-santa-elena.jpg   when folks want real hiking and skiing and camping, do they go to Colorado from Austin?-chisos.jpg   when folks want real hiking and skiing and camping, do they go to Colorado from Austin?-window.jpg  

Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times
yeah i will either drive to Taos or fly up to steamboat, breck and hiking in RMNP

Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
New Mexico or Big Bend for hiking and camping if you're looking for mountains. Colorado for skiing.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 39,077 times
Personally, I'd recommend Utah for skiing over Colorado. You can land in Salt Lake City and be on the slopes in under an hour easily. The rental cars are parked on the lowest level of the parking garage adjacent to the terminals, and it takes about 30 mins to drive to Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton/The Canyons (maybe 40 to Park City or Deer Valley). The skiing is at least as good as Colorado's top resorts, and the lines are a lot shorter since most people think "Colorado" when they want to ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin