Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,491 times

Advertisements

I know this is pretty subjective depending on type of stone ect, but what is a good, average price per square foot for granite installed? Let's just say an average piece of granite, nothing low end and nothing high end. If I ever buy a house, I am pretty sure it will be in a range that does not include granite in the kitchen. But, I was curious as to what a standard cost would be, measure my rental kitchen, and kind of get an idea.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:14 AM

5,864 posts, read 11,919,279 times
I had mine done about 2 years ago and was quote $41 sq/ft for Level 1 (installed). That's the most common kind of granite - the price goes up with the more exotic granites. One thing I found is that you get a much higher quality of granite by going to one of the granite yards and picking out your slab rather than buying from one of the big box stores. Southwest Marble & Garnite, Architectural Granite and Marble and Tileworks of Texas are 3 that I'm aware of where you can pick out your own slab. There may be others.

By the way, even though I got "Level One", it's a beautiful granite with lots of coloring and variation so lower price doesn't necessarily imply inferior - a lot depends on how available this particular kind is.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I had mine done about 2 years ago and was quote $41 sq/ft for Level 1 (installed). That's the most common kind of granite - the price goes up with the more exotic granites. One thing I found is that you get a much higher quality of granite by going to one of the granite yards and picking out your slab rather than buying from one of the big box stores. Southwest Marble & Garnite, Architectural Granite and Marble and Tileworks of Texas are 3 that I'm aware of where you can pick out your own slab. There may be others.

By the way, even though I got "Level One", it's a beautiful granite with lots of coloring and variation so lower price doesn't necessarily imply inferior - a lot depends on how available this particular kind is.
I agree, go to the granite yard and they will also have names and numbers of the installers they know.

In our new home, we did go with Level 3 in the kitchen and secondary baths but in the master we picked a stunningly beautiful black with blue (blue is rare in natural stones) piece that was the highest level they had (don't remember the number).

Since you probably start and finish every day in your master bath, I think it's justifiable to have something in there that you really enjoy. It doesn't have to match the rest of the house. Also, because it was only two counters, and the granite place had a smaller piece left over, we were able to get a great price (sort of like buying carpet remnants for just one room). So ask about that when you go shop.

That said, the average buyer doesn't know squat about granite, or that there are even different quality levels, so spending too much extra on higher quality won't come back to you in a higher sales price, you would do it just for your own personal taste in wanting something better.

Same with cabinets and flooring, unfortunately. Buyers and their agents, by and large, (luxury homes excluded) are very undiscerning and uneducated about how to distinguish quality finishes from lower end finishes that mimic a more quality look.

A "kitchen with granite counters, stainless appliances and wood cabinets" can be a $10,000 kitchen or a $60,000 kitchen, and, believe it or not, the difference would not be immediately or readily noticed by most buyers walking through two different homes.

I generally have to point it out to them, opening the cabinets and drawers, looking to see the cabinet joints and whether it's a true wood cabinte or just a wood face with particle board everywhere else. Seeing if the draweres have dovetail joints or are glued and stapled. Feeling the thickness of the granite (stick your hand underneath at the counter edge and feel). Some granite counters have a thick bullnose front edge, but you feel underneath and it's a thin, cheap granite that just looks good on top. A good wood laminate flooring will cost 5x as much as a the cheap stuff, and not look much different to the uninitiated eye.

Sorry I drifted off into a bit more than was asked of, but I feel really sorry sometimes for home owners who honestly think they did a good quality remodel when in fact the materials chosen are very cheap, and I have to tell them, "uh, that's not a wood floor, it's a picture of wood glued onto a fiberboard material". We can't call it "wood flooring" in the marketing." And they really, honestly thought they had a wood floor.

Steve

Old 01-24-2009, 02:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,621 times
In my previous house we used granite transformations which came out great. It is granite but thinner that goes on top of existing laminate countertops. It is cheaper and they don't have to tear apart the existing counters and cabinets to put it in.

I have solid granite now in my new house and I really can't tell the difference between the two in quality.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:39 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,491 times
Interesting. I see that "granite transformations" is an actual company and have a an Austin store at Granite Transformations Austin / Austin- Granite Countertops to resurface your existing countertops - our granite countertop slabs are heat, scratch and stain resistant. Great for kitchen, bath, fireplace, backsplash, counters, etc. Easy to install w. They also reface cabinets too.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 150,258 times
My contractor is trying to force us to use his fabricator. We independently found 2 slabs that were about $38. sq. foot. The total installed price for 55 sq. feet came back as $6500 which included tax. Call me crazy, but I am furious - that's $123 sq. foot. Is this reasonable???!!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM

499 posts, read 1,305,959 times
We got a mid-range but very thick (1.5") granite; didn't want any edge seam / bullnose seam. It was around $75/sq ft 10 years ago.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,983 times
It's only reasonable if you're not going to walk and your contractor knows it.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM

97 posts, read 417,692 times
I don't want this to sound like a plug so I will keep from giving you my companie's name. But I have been in the Stone Countertop bussiness for 14 years. I have been an installer, a measurer, a salesman, a manager, and now an owner. And here is what I have learned.....

The short answer is on ave. I would look to spend around $46-$56 dollars per foot on a stone countertop. Sure you can get it cheeper you can get into the $29-$39 range but you will get what you pay for. The only way I would do my home at that range is if I wanted to upgrade it as cheap as possible and sale it.

If I were buying Granite tops today and I was not who I am I would go to a whole sale company. They won't tell you the price and you can't buy from them but they will have a good color selection (you wont be held to a program of 20-30 high profit yeilding colors) you can be open with them about your buget and they can show you the stone slabs that would most likly keep you in that buget. They could also maybe point you in the direction of a company they have delt with and have grown to trust. (some do some don't no matter how many donuts I bring them!) To name a few in Austin: Pacific Shore Stones - Young Stone Inc - Midwest Tile, Marble and Granite - and AG&M.

Don't trust any company that has changed the name of their Granite. Get the common name from the whole sale company and use a company that sales it buy it's real name. If they change the name there is a reason, Most likly they want to make it hard for you to price shop. Don't deal with any company that wont let you pick your slabs. Assume nothing! Don't assume if you want to keep you current back splash they will re-grout it for you, don't assume they will re-caulk the tops after you have taken the old ones out and put in the new ones, don't assume their quote includes a plumber, don't assume everyone is dealing with the same product that nice quote could be 2cm not 3, and last but not least don't assume they have insurance ask about it and request proof!

Also there are not many of them around I only know of 3 myself included but try to find a company that is "transparent" it isn't a deal breaker if they are not but it helps.

Oh and get atleast 3 bids. I don't care if my dad came to my home and gave me a quote to do work I would still get 2 more bids. And I hardly ever go with the low bid I usually take the low bid and then use it to get the guy I liked down to it. Unless the low bid comes from me in that case I'm just a good feller. That does good work at a reasonable price.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM

17 posts, read 191,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsheehan026 View Post
I don't want this to sound like a plug so I will keep from giving you my companie's name. But I have been in the Stone Countertop bussiness for 14 years. I have been an installer, a measurer, a salesman, a manager, and now an owner. And here is what I have learned.....

The short answer is on ave. I would look to spend around $46-$56 dollars per foot on a stone countertop. Sure you can get it cheeper you can get into the $29-$39 range but you will get what you pay for. The only way I would do my home at that range is if I wanted to upgrade it as cheap as possible and sale it.

If I were buying Granite tops today and I was not who I am I would go to a whole sale company. They won't tell you the price and you can't buy from them but they will have a good color selection (you wont be held to a program of 20-30 high profit yeilding colors) you can be open with them about your buget and they can show you the stone slabs that would most likly keep you in that buget. They could also maybe point you in the direction of a company they have delt with and have grown to trust. (some do some don't no matter how many donuts I bring them!) To name a few in Austin: Pacific Shore Stones - Young Stone Inc - Midwest Tile, Marble and Granite - and AG&M.

Don't trust any company that has changed the name of their Granite. Get the common name from the whole sale company and use a company that sales it buy it's real name. If they change the name there is a reason, Most likly they want to make it hard for you to price shop. Don't deal with any company that wont let you pick your slabs. Assume nothing! Don't assume if you want to keep you current back splash they will re-grout it for you, don't assume they will re-caulk the tops after you have taken the old ones out and put in the new ones, don't assume their quote includes a plumber, don't assume everyone is dealing with the same product that nice quote could be 2cm not 3, and last but not least don't assume they have insurance ask about it and request proof!

Also there are not many of them around I only know of 3 myself included but try to find a company that is "transparent" it isn't a deal breaker if they are not but it helps.

Oh and get atleast 3 bids. I don't care if my dad came to my home and gave me a quote to do work I would still get 2 more bids. And I hardly ever go with the low bid I usually take the low bid and then use it to get the guy I liked down to it. Unless the low bid comes from me in that case I'm just a good feller. That does good work at a reasonable price.
http://best-books-reviews.hostoi.com/sig.jpg
Really helpful information, exactly what I was looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: