Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Austin in April '09. We are looking for an area where my eldest son can go to a good public elementary school. We heard Round Rock ISD is the best in Austin. However, we also found some good ones in Leander ISD. Can anyone provide any opinions on the schools in Leander ISD? The ZIP that we are particular interested in is 78732.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM

8,008 posts, read 10,466,231 times
Thinking of moving to Steiner, huh? We chose to moved to Steiner (from NW Austin) largely for the schools. The schools we were zoned to in Austin were considered some of the best in the city, and they still weren't nearly as good as the ones here.

There are three elementary schools in Steiner (well, the third is opening in the fall), a middle school, and they are building a high school on 2222 that Steiner kids will be zoned to. They are also building a middle school next to it, to avoid the overcrowding at the middle school in Steiner. Currently, Canyon Ridge MS is also home to a lot of kids from outside the subdivision.

All the schools in Steiner are rated exemplary, the highest ranking possible. Seeing as they are the schools that will primarily be feeding into the new schools, there is no reason to believe the new schools will be anything less.

I would also consider the Lakeway area, just down the street. Very beautiful and in Lake Travis ISD, which is also excellent.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,801 times
Thanks. We will actually be coming from New Zealand

Thanks for the information. I feel more comfortable living in Leander ISD now. I will check out the ISD that you mentioned. The only thing is that the driving time to my office. If we live in 78732, the required time is already 23 minutes. My office is in 78759.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,133,008 times
We are in Cedar Park and our kids go to LISD and we are very happy with the schools. The schools in our area range from exemplary to recognized and are very good. The difference between the two is minimal as the middle school my daughter goes to dropped to recognized by a very small margin.

My personal opinion on the ratings is that the schools are too focused on the TAKS testing. The big difference in my mind is parent involvement between most of the schools in RRISD, and LISD. I don't have any info on the other districts.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:07 AM

Living in Lake Travis ISD will add about 15 minutes to your commute. so something to consider.

Also, it's important to look at individual schools, not just the district. I think the Steiner schools are fantastic, but there are schools in Leander ISD that I wouldn't be so thrilled to send my kids to.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,485,505 times
Also, the schools need to be looked at with the particular child in mind. A school that is great for one child's learning style might be a disaster for a child with a different learning style. I was lucky in that we were able, due to the age spread, to send our two to very different kinds of schools, because they each would have wilted in the schools that their sibling thrived in.

The Leander school district is widely considered to be one of the more desirable in the area, but you really do need to look at the schools with your own subjective requirements in mind.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,795,878 times
Leander, Round Rock & AISD are all HUGE districts that have superlative schools & also average to good schools.

Kids attend schools, not a district.

Here's a map that provides quantitative info on schools (i wish they'd add the '08 info though) that i've found helpful:

Texas School Performance Maps

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,134,804 times
And since you will be working in 78759, that is in AISD. Hill Elementary is a fabulous, exemplary elementary school (as is Doss, just to the south). Both schools track to Murchison Middle and Anderson High (with a lauded IB program). That is an excellent set of schools.

Hill Elementary PTA » HOME

I would again echo the advice that you really need to look at specific schools and your specific child to get a good fit. TAKS testing can actually inhibit learning! Definitely dig deeper than the ratings and rankings produced by a single standardized test.

Good luck

Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
And since you will be working in 78759, that is in AISD. Hill Elementary is a fabulous, exemplary elementary school (as is Doss, just to the south). Both schools track to Murchison Middle and Anderson High (with a lauded IB program). That is an excellent set of schools.

Hill Elementary PTA » HOME

I would again echo the advice that you really need to look at specific schools and your specific child to get a good fit. TAKS testing can actually inhibit learning! Definitely dig deeper than the ratings and rankings produced by a single standardized test.

Good luck
That is the zip code and schools we moved AWAY from. The schools themselves may be better than most in Austin, but we heard entirely too many neighbors complain about AISD in general - liberal policies (make sure you don't say Christmas), teachers complaining about the dress code - THEIR dress code ('cause apparently khakis are oppressive), etc.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkam View Post
Thanks. We will actually be coming from New Zealand

Thanks for the information. I feel more comfortable living in Leander ISD now. I will check out the ISD that you mentioned. The only thing is that the driving time to my office. If we live in 78732, the required time is already 23 minutes. My office is in 78759.
I wouldn't want to do that commute every day - why not look at areas much closer to work? Steiner is quite isolated, but is near the lake if that's important. However - to me the everyday life of school/commute/work would mean more.

Both Caraway and Laurel Mountain are very good elementary schools in the area near your office - great area to live, lovely homes and much more interesting and central without being busy/built up. And under 10 mins commute .

If you want beauty and a country feel, look at the homes on the south end of D K Ranch Road.... wonderful If you want newer homes and more of a Steiner-like community, look around Yaupon Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin